Stampede Stampede front shelf

Uncle Bob

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
While Bull owners can handily order a front shelf in shiny stainless with the bull head logo stamped in it, we lesser sized owners have been left out by the guys at RT. When I got the 590 I didn't think I'd need a shelf across the front as my outdoor kitchen has plenty of counter surface, and the pellet bin top offers a smallish but generally adequate landing zone. All the same, there have been a couple times where it seemed that a front shelf would add some versatility. As with most things it's a matter of making time to work out the details and then the installation process.

First obvious step is to measure the width to figure out what to look for. I wanted to make it fold down so some sort of hinge/bracket needed to be sourced. To my happy surprise the front panel/leg spacing measured out at a nominal 28", I started looking for folding shelf assemblies without sufficient success, but then the light bulb went on. I've got some steel storage cabinets in my garage that came with more shelves than fit my use, and they just happened to be exactly 28" wide by 12" deep...………..bonus! They were also powder coated a satin black that isn't too far off from the RT color, though less glossy. Good ol' Amazon has become a go to site for finding all sorts of oddments and a few minutes of searching turned up some folding brackets made of 304 stainless that just happened to have a mounting flange narrow enough to work with the 590 legs. In reading the reviews I was somewhat disheartened to see a repetitive complaint that the bracket didn't unfold to exactly 90 degrees leaving the shelf with a slight tilt to the front edge. Fortunately the same company made another version with a longer release lever that didn't have those same negative comments. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M2UYPHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 When I received them the first thing I did was get my framing square and check...…..it was just slightly over 90, and in fact, all installed the shelf has a tiny, tiny slant to the back...…..perfect! A second bit of luck was the spacing on the pre-drilled holes in the vertical part of the bracket. The center one lined up exactly with the RT bolt holding the leg to the apron when the shelf was at the desired location. Only thing I needed to do was drill the hole larger to fit the existing RT bolt. I did have to enlarge the others as well but only because I wanted to use some 1/4-20 stainless fasteners I already owned. So here are the pics of the parts and finished product. Not as jazzy as the logo stamped stainless variety, but it only cost me $20 for the hinges and some labor time.

That looks pretty damn useful. Good on you for the modification.

In my research prior to purchasing I noticed the Stampede does not have the ability to upgrade to front shelf.....I use this feature immensely. It was one of the main reasons that I went with the Bull instead. I'm not handy like you, so I didn't think I'd be able to modify. I really didn't need as much space as the Bull offers, but the front shelf was a big deal to me.

Nice work, I'm sure you'll enjoy the increased capability.

Great job Bob....looks awesome! Although I have a shelf already on my 680, always love to read and see the creativity of others. Thanks for sharing.

That front shelf looks great!! I also have a Stampede and need a shelf. Every time I call RT I inquire about when they are going to come out with a shelf. I get the same answer every time... It will be soon.

Thanks for the kind words guys...…….just an ol' hot rodder slappin' stuff together.

BWR, I'm not sure they're real motivated to do that, but time will tell. If they're aware of Brickhouse's story, and it repeats with other buyers, they would rather have the upsell than satisfy those with the lower priced product. While I was able to use a shelf that was just tucked away in the corner of the garage not having one available shouldn't dissuade others from doing something similar. Those brackets work great, are very affordable, and are easily available. Most people live in a town that has a sheet metal shop to service the community. It wouldn't surprise me if a body could get a nice stainless steel shelf formed by one of those shops for $50ish, less for plain sheet steel or expanded metal with a rim. Lots of alternatives.

I guess I should have posted up one more pic of the shelf fully folded down in case that was of interest...……..

That Stampede front shelf looks great @Uncle Bob!

So when are you going to start selling them? You know there are plenty others out there that would like a front shelf. :)

When I bought my stampede a month ago, I talked with Ashley the sales manager and he said they had just signed off on the manufacturing of the front shelf design and was guessing 2-3 months before going on the website. Depending on price and looks, I like the DIY shelf mod. I've seen the same brackets used with many different materials. Types of wood, metal etc. Nice work!

Assuming you're asking me. This shelf has a complete powder coated surface that appears to be the equal in quality of the coating that RT has on the pellet bin and chassis of the Stampede which are also steel material. So this shelf should be no more vulnerable than the non stainless parts of the rest of the unit.

I looked high and low on internet and could not find a stainless steel shelf that would work without multiple modifications. Decided on using a 1"x12" piece of red oak and using the same hinges listed above. I utilized all stainless steel hardware. Also rounded the outer corners off due to RT cover hanging up on the shelf when removing. Then rounded top edges with a router. I will seal the wood with multiple coats of aerosol polyurethane to provide a robust finish. Will send pics when completed.

I bought the hinges, but not sure how you guys got them into the front of the Stampede. Did you have to drill an extra hole? I'm a little nervous about doing that (I'm not very handy). do you guys have any close-up pics of the mounting of the brackets to the Stampede?

Okay, since I started this mess, just for you, I went out into the dark and took a pic of the hinge mount...…….…………...now, feel sorry for me.;)

There are two fasteners on each hinge to tie it to the face of the leg. The larger head screw is the one that RT supplied with the grill. It goes through the center hole of the three that came already drilled/punched in the bracket if you got the same one I referenced above. I used a drill bit slightly larger in diameter of the RT screw to enlarge the hole. The hole above that one that has the smaller head screw shown in the pic was also an existing hole in the bracket. I drilled that one slightly larger than 1/4" so I could use some stainless screws/nuts I already had on hand. If you're buying new you could get some sized to fit the hole in the bracket originally so you don't have to drill that one. However, mount the bracket to the leg with the RT screw after drilling out that center hole and that will give you a drill guide for drilling a hole completely through the leg for the upper screw and nut. It's a bit tight on space to fit a drill and would be easier to mark with a transfer punch if you have them as I do, but not real common for most folks. If you're steady of hand and eye you could mark it with a regular center punch. Or mark it with a marker and drill, but be prepared to have to massage the hole for alignment as that usually results in a slightly off kilter placement. Anyway, that should give you the gist. If you're really not handy maybe get help from a more mechanically adept friend, it's all relative, so hard to judge your skills. Any further question just ask.
stampede shelf 04.JPG

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back