Stampede Stampede stability

Johnny Volvo

Greetings. After continued research, I’m getting closer to purchasing the Stampede. However, with the bull getting a new leg design; is there a stability issue with the lesser weighing Stampede? Saw a video where the griller was brushing the grates and it appeared the grill was moving with each stroke. Super windy where we live and would hate for it tip over. Thank you for all the help.

It's not necessarily unstable but it is a narrow base and I have had 40+ MPH winds come through my back yard which will tip over most grills. It has tipped them over in the past actually. I strapped it down to the deck to be safe, as I would have most any grill.

What @pbison said, and a bit more. Sometimes it seems that folks without first hand experience can imagine or perceive more issues than what exist in actual use. Sometimes they're correct. We get some occasional fair winds around here too, though not like the 98 mph blow we had in the Seattle area a few years ago that blew my large, heavy gasser off the deck. If we're going to imagine what can possibly happen with either the 590 or 700 (and any number of other brands similarly configured) there is a possibility that the seeming narrow track and wheel base would make the units top heavy. I've never gotten that feeling with the 590 and not read any reports of tipping issues. The 700 is somewhat different, and might explain why they recently splayed the legs to compensate. It's been reported here and on other media that the 700 can get tippy/fall over if just the right (wrong?) set of circumstances occur. The primary culprit would seem to be the rear mounted pellet bin and the comparatively high cg with a full load of 40# of fuel. While the splayed legs have helped I suspect, they still don't extend much beyond the protrusion of the back bin tin any significant amount compared to the previous configuration. Looking at the pictures, and imagining the relative position of the casters, along with the additional weight that would lower the cg/polar moment, a competition cart (for either one) might be the wisest addition for anyone who believes their ambient conditions are problematic well above normal .

I will chime in FWIW. With my 680, no mods and not comp cart, I have never had an issue. I move mine around my deck a lot and never had a potential tipping issue. I have even moved it from the deck, down stairs, and rolled it across my grass yard (with a sloping grade) to the garage back and forth twice (yeah lifting it down the stairs and then back up is a bear even with two people) and never had any issue with moving it. My deck is outside and exposed to weather, but somewhat protected from high winds.

The wheels on the Stampede allow it to move with very little effort or force. I have found I need to set the brakes on the swivel wheels to eliminate this action. Once set I have encountered no stability issues.

Reactions: Kim
@Johnny Volvo I can't say I've heard many people say anything about the Rec Tec Stampede being unstable. I think you'll be just fine.

Greetings. After continued research, I’m getting closer to purchasing the Stampede. However, with the bull getting a new leg design; is there a stability issue with the lesser weighing Stampede? Saw a video where the griller was brushing the grates and it appeared the grill was moving with each stroke. Super windy where we live and would hate for it tip over. Thank you for all the help.
If the wheels are locked in front it shouldn't move.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back