Stampede Wifi Fix

nealolsen

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I just bought a new stampede as my first pellet grill. Construction was great. The only thing I had issues with was the wifi having difficulties connecting. So being in the tech field I installed an external antenna and it now has no issues at all connecting to my wifi. Now the issues I was having was it connected great the first time and then the second and third times I used the grill in the exact same spot in the backyard it would not connect or took sometime to finally connect. So in reading some of the forums I came across a few articles were rec tec had told the person to let the antenna hand down underneath the grill so it had better reception. Well I looked at the controller board and figured I would just install an external to have a better connection. It works great.

IMG_2440.JPG

That's a great solution for the tech savvy indeed! I'm sure you made sure to use some silicon to prevent water from entering the board! That would be a disaster!

My grill isnt stored outside or used in the rain with out an ezup, the board istelf isnt in any type of sealed box just attached to a mounting plate inside the grill. The actual antenna lead coming off the board is long enough to have a droop in the cable in case by some chance water made it past the antenna and past the mounting lug.

@nealolsen:

Thanks for sharing. Quick install and a much quicker sync with the router. 9.84 seconds to be exact. No more messing around with connectivity issues.

New owner, just received my 590 this week, super excited coming from a GMG which is a giant piece of trash. But anyway, saw this thread and my grill came with a small antenna installed.. this must have been a recent change to the 590?

Attachments

• 20191017_121703.jpg
    20191017_121703.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 137
………... this must have been a recent change to the 590?

It appears to be a rolling change. I've read elsewhere that some new owners are receiving units with it and others not. Once the older inventory is out of the RT warehouse then all new ones should have that feature.

I just bought a new stampede as my first pellet grill. Construction was great. The only thing I had issues with was the wifi having difficulties connecting. So being in the tech field I installed an external antenna and it now has no issues at all connecting to my wifi. Now the issues I was having was it connected great the first time and then the second and third times I used the grill in the exact same spot in the backyard it would not connect or took sometime to finally connect. So in reading some of the forums I came across a few articles were rec tec had told the person to let the antenna hand down underneath the grill so it had better reception. Well I looked at the controller board and figured I would just install an external to have a better connection. It works great.

View attachment 507
Where did you get your antenna.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back