Tech Gurus that understand the wifi connectivity better than I do

ModernRec

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Why is it that it will not connect to your wifi 5 GHz band, and will only connect to your wifi 2.4 GHz band ? It's the same damn wifi??

For whatever reason, RT designed it to only work on the 2.4 side. Owners manual explains what is needed to make it work. Essentially you go into the router and split them by renaming one or the other so the grill won't try to connect to the 5.0 side.

For whatever reason, RT designed it to only work on the 2.4 side. Owners manual explains what is needed to make it work. Essentially you go into the router and split them by renaming one or the other so the grill won't try to connect to the 5.0 side.
Right, I have two networks and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working till i figured out they only made it to work on the 2.4GHz side of the house, I'm just curious as to why they only choose that. Folks should have both options at the house, but i've seen some folks that only have 5GHz capability which renders the RT app useless.

My understanding is the 2.4 broadcast further than the 5.0. I don't know if that factors into this. But since grills are outside that made be why it is that way.

Most wifi items are only able to connect to the 2.4 GHz wifi. I have Nest smoke detectors, Honneywell thermostats. MQ garage door openers, Samsung smartthings, Neato botvac, Roku, Panasonic tv, Dennon receiver none of these will connect to the 5GHz wifi. After you make the initial connection you can operate them from either 2.4 or 5 GHz bands on your smartphone.

It's cheaper for them to just have a 2.4Ghz radio than to have one that does both.

2.4GHz and 5GHz are 2 separate radios (think AM and FM). RecTec grills only have a 2.4GHz radio, so they can't connect to anything 5GHz. That's typical of many "smart home" devices. It's a choice because 5GHz signals don't travel as far and don't penetrate walls/floors/ceilings as effectively as 2.4GHz.

Some people have a WiFi setup that uses the same name (SSID) for both 2.4 and 5GHz bands on their router. But they're still different radios. Depending on which one your phone is using during initial setup, the grill might attempt connecting with the 5GHz side - which won't work. Which is why RecTec suggests disabling the 5GHz so it's clear which one is being used.

Once the grill is setup and working, the 5GHz can be re-enabled. Note: Your phone/tablet does not communicate directly with the grill outside of the initial setup. They both talk to a server in the cloud. The grill will still only use the 2.4GHz band (since it only has a 2.4 radio). That's why your phone/tablet can use either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band to control & monitor the grill.

2.4GHz and 5GHz are 2 separate radios (think AM and FM). RecTec grills only have a 2.4GHz radio, so they can't connect to anything 5GHz. That's typical of many "smart home" devices. It's a choice because 5GHz signals don't travel as far and don't penetrate walls/floors/ceilings as effectively as 2.4GHz.

Some people have a WiFi setup that uses the same name (SSID) for both 2.4 and 5GHz bands on their router. But they're still different radios. Depending on which one your phone is using during initial setup, the grill might attempt connecting with the 5GHz side - which won't work. Which is why RecTec suggests disabling the 5GHz so it's clear which one is being used.

Once the grill is setup and working, the 5GHz can be re-enabled. Note: Your phone/tablet does not communicate directly with the grill outside of the initial setup. They both talk to a server in the cloud. The grill will still only use the 2.4GHz band (since it only has a 2.4 radio). That's why your phone/tablet can use either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band to control & monitor the grill.
great explanation!

My understanding is the 2.4 broadcast further than the 5.0. I don't know if that factors into this. But since grills are outside that made be why it is that way.

Range is probably the main reason they use 2.4GHz. The higher the frequency, the less it penetrates solids like walls. I split mine into two bands and checked the signals with a WiFi analysis app. The 2.4GHz signal was much stronger than the 5 GHz signal.

Great explanation mooncusser2k. I have an Orbit Mesh router that picks the the best band to use. I cannot separate the radio bands with different SSIDs. I don't understand why the smartphone has to be in 2.4 GHz mode to setup the RT controller WiFi. Shouldn't the smartphone be communicating with the router only to setup the controller? I am not too tech savvy. Can you explain it to me?

I am pretty sure I will be getting a RT-590 soon trying to get ahead of the game come time to setup the WiFi. My smartphone is Android Samsung Galaxy S10+. I don't think it can be changed to use 2.4 GHz only. Guess I will have to do the disconnect WiFi mode procedure, walk down the street, and then re-connect back to WiFi and hope it selects 2.4 instead of 5 GHz. Thanks for your help.

I'm not positive of the reason, but I believe the phone connects to the grill's controller for that initial setup.

Other "smart" devices I own involve a step of disconnecting to the router and connecting to a specific Wi-Fi connection from the device to do the configuration. Then you go back to normal Wi-Fi (ie, your router) and you're done. I reckon the RT setup goes about it a different way, which requires your phone to be on the 2.4GHz.

You might want to try setting up the grill on a guest network, if your router supports that.

I'm not positive of the reason, but I believe the phone connects to the grill's controller for that initial setup.

Other "smart" devices I own involve a step of disconnecting to the router and connecting to a specific Wi-Fi connection from the device to do the configuration. Then you go back to normal Wi-Fi (ie, your router) and you're done. I reckon the RT setup goes about it a different way, which requires your phone to be on the 2.4GHz.

You might want to try setting up the grill on a guest network, if your router supports that.
I think you are correct, the phone must need to connect to the grill's controller for initial setup. I looked at my router's guest network and I can't tell if is 2.4 only. I don't have issues with other 2.4 devices in my home but they have a web base browser to set them up too. Like my Ring cameras and my home thermostat. I don't guess the Rec Tec controller has a web browser setup, just the app. I am not going to worry about it until I get the grill here and see how she behaves. Thanks mooncusser2k

I just enabled my guest network and latched on to it with my phone. When I go thru the steps in the Rec Tec app my guest SSID says it is 5G. So I guess that won't work. I will just have to force my cell phone to connect to my router with 2.4G.

I have the RT1250 trying to get it to connect t either network is not working. I live in an area where there are homes and several apartment buildings. so there is ALLOT of wifi noise counted 16 5 networks alone and another dozen 2.4. I've even gone so far as setting the router on the side tray and it still won't connect. Tried the walk away method walk till 5 drops then hope 2.4 picks up and will allow you to connect.

I just went through this over the weekend resetting the app on a new phone. I have a 1250 so I have dual band. I can confirm that in initially pairing the grill to the app, it actually used Bluetooth rather than a substitute WiFi network as many other devices do during setup. I only know this as I had inadvertently turned off Bluetooth on my phone and the app warned me to turn it on and keep the phone near the grill during setup.

I just went through this over the weekend resetting the app on a new phone. I have a 1250 so I have dual band. I can confirm that in initially pairing the grill to the app, it actually used Bluetooth rather than a substitute WiFi network as many other devices do during setup. I only know this as I had inadvertently turned off Bluetooth on my phone and the app warned me to turn it on and keep the phone near the grill during setup.
Thank you!
I received my 1250 a few days ago and am doing the burn in as we speak. I could not get things paired until I read your post.
I simply disabled the 5 and turned off Bluetooth and it worked first time. Bring on the brisket!!

5Ghz doesn't go through walls well AT ALL. Since a grill is usually outdoors 5Ghz wouldn't do much for you anyway. See my other posting here I put up today if you're having trouble pairing -- there are some WiFi 6 routers out there with a chipset that likes to have its driver blow up during the pairing process; if you have one of those you will need to find another AP that you can use temporarily with the same SSID (WiFi "name") and password to pair with, then put the other one back on and it will connect fine.

That second bogon isn't Recteq's fault, its the driver on the WiFi access point. Fortunately that specific chipset isn't in too many of the current routers (its not the favorite of manufacturers by far) but it IS in a number of the newer Wifi 6-capable units (which are much faster, thus many people do buy them) and if you have one you'll have trouble getting it connected originally.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back