Temp issues spontaneously

@ndfan
Stayed rock solid entire cook in the sun. Should do the trick for you too.

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Isn't supposed the controller to manage the increased heat due to external conditions and stop blowing/burning down until temp reaches back to 225?

I am in SoCal and have around 8 hours of direct sun light so I would like to know as this is very critical for me.

Few of us have found that with direct sunlight it will definitely change your temps..

With the hot sun of socal it could very well increase. A member here used a welding blanket and it kept it from raising

Few of us have found that with direct sunlight it will definitely change your temps..

With the hot sun of socal it could very well increase. A member here used a welding blanket and it kept it from raising
Thank you for the tip.

So when there is external heat source affecting the temp, what would the grill do to maintain the lower set heat?

For me the fan kick on and off...eventually the temp would drop to the point it would feed, temp would go up. Cycle would repeat...

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Isn't supposed the controller to manage the increased heat due to external conditions and stop blowing/burning down until temp reaches back to 225?

I am in SoCal and have around 8 hours of direct sun light so I would like to know as this is very critical for me.

@ Leggy:
Good question. Do not underestimate the power of the sun to raise the temp inside the pit. You want the wood pellets providing the heat not the sun. I had same problem with my Weber Performer until I shaded it with umbrella.

So started a smoke at 10am today, doing some St. Louis pork ribs set at 225. After 3 hrs I started my normal routine of spritzing every hour. At the 6.5-7hr the temperature shot up to 236- 250 and is having issues coming down back down to 225.

Lid is open for maybe 5 sec. Just long enough for a quick spritz. For the most part the smokers had been dead on or +/-1 degree.

Any known reasons?

I was having temp control problems also and i live in Arizona, where the ambient heat is always a concern. I reached out to RT support (I have a previous post about it with a pic of the temp differential) and they had me do 2 things: 1) clean out the firebox regularly, especially after a long smoke, and 2) lower the auger feed rate (I lowered mine to 30, the lowest, I think factory is 65 or so). By doing both of these I now am back to stellar temp control with only a degree or 2 of variance. Give this a try and see if it helps. Also a side note on direct sun, I have tried both sun and shade, and with the auger rate lowered it doesn't seem to have much of an affect.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back