Trailblazer Temp offset help

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Has anyone adjusted the offset? My grill says 250, my Dot thermometer and a Thermopro in the center of the grate says 256, what do I change the 0 to? 2 or -2.

I'm not too sure about the numbers, but be sure to realize that as you move out from the pit probe to the right, the temps will be getting hotter. My 340 is about 20+ hotter out to the right than at the probe initially. However, once the cook has been going for a while it seems to stabilize. How long did you have the DOT in reading the temps?

25 minutes at temp. I cook in the center for the most part so that's where I'm concerned with.

My 340 is about 20+ hotter out to the right
Pretty much all these Rec Tec pellet grills run some what hotter to the right, it's kind of nice to have if you need to cook different things little hotter than the rest of the cook. I calibrated my RTD probe to the grills center of the grills surface.

Last edited:
Granted 6 degrees woun't make much if any difference but i can make it accurate with a simple turn of the knob, as long as I go the right direction, so why not do so.

Granted 6 degrees woun't make much if any difference but i can make it accurate with a simple turn of the knob, as long as I go the right direction, so why not do so.
Why do you think it is not accurate now? The PID controller probe is not in the center of the grate, so it’s highly unlikely that the two probes will return the identical temps. Just cook great food with it and enjoy!

Guaranteed you won't get them to stay the same. Now if your DOT is right next to the Rec Tec probe ? ? ? You could probably get those synced. I have had probes in all 4 corners of my 590. Anywhere from 5-10° difference and there is " no " way to get them the same.

As the temperature outside got warmer, thats when I started having temp control issues with my RT-340, it seemed. I've had mine for about 5 months and had no issues with temp control until recently. Today I set the temp to 225 and it rose to and maintain around 264. My feed rate was set at 6.5% (factory preset), I lowered it to 4.0% and the temp fell to and maintained at 225.

Last edited:
As the temperature outside got warmer, thats when I started having temp control issues with my RT-340, it seemed. I've had mine for about 5 months and had no issues with temp control until recently. Today I set the temp to 225 and it would rose to and maintain around 264. My feed rate was set at 6.5% (factory preset), I lowered it to 4.0% and the temp fell to and maintained at 225.
Yep, direct sunlight can really impact pit temps. I've posted the below photo here before, but the drop in pit temp was accomplished by just moving out of direct sunlight. As you can see in the graph, I had to move twice, but it sure worked.

Temps.jpg

Yeah, the pit probe and dot won't read the same unless in the same place. I got a dot about a month ago and did the test. They were pretty close (in temp) when the dot was near the probe, off by a few the further to the right the dot went. As said, enjoy the ride, a little temp difference won't matter. ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back