Stampede Temp swing on new grill

drallred

I just got my RT590 last week and due to work I turned it on yesterday, BTW: I live in North San Tan Valley in AZ, (Ironwood and Ocotillo). The first fire at 400 sent well, then I cooked bacon and set it at 325 it was good for a bit then I got the high temp warning on my phone and saw the temp jump up to 400 degrees, then it would drop to 300, and it would do that swing for a while. the bacon cooked but was not happy about the temp swings. Then I set it for 475 to cook a few burgers and it settled at that temp for about 5 min then the temp swing started again. It was frustrating. the burgers did cook but I am looking to do ribs for the 4th and with that swing I am not confident. I will do another test fire and record it better. (I just ordered the searing kit and all weather kit)

Just curious what pellets are you using? I had a similar problem I have blamed on competitor's pellets. Those pellets were are much longer than the Rec Tec pellets.

I have only seen some recommendations from other messages on the forum with similar issues. The first thing to try is to lower the auger feed rate to 3 from the 6.5 that is standard. This should help with the temp swing, specially in hot climates like AZ. I lived out there for over 12 years in Phoenix. If that does not help, I would give RT customer service a call, they should be able to help.

Just curious what pellets are you using? I had a similar problem I have blamed on competitor's pellets. Those pellets were are much longer than the Rec Tec pellets.
I am using Pit Boss Competition blend, my dad uses them on his RT680 and loves them, I'll lower the feed rate to 3 and run another test.

I have only seen some recommendations from other messages on the forum with similar issues. The first thing to try is to lower the auger feed rate to 3 from the 6.5 that is standard. This should help with the temp swing, specially in hot climates like AZ. I lived out there for over 12 years in Phoenix. If that does not help, I would give RT customer service a call, they should be able to help.
I will lower the feed rate and see what happens, thanks for the info. I use Pit Boss Competition, which my dad uses on his rt680.

I have used them and have some in the garage. i have not had any problems with them so far.

I just got my RT590 last week and due to work I turned it on yesterday, BTW: I live in North San Tan Valley in AZ, (Ironwood and Ocotillo). The first fire at 400 sent well, then I cooked bacon and set it at 325 it was good for a bit then I got the high temp warning on my phone and saw the temp jump up to 400 degrees, then it would drop to 300, and it would do that swing for a while. the bacon cooked but was not happy about the temp swings. Then I set it for 475 to cook a few burgers and it settled at that temp for about 5 min then the temp swing started again. It was frustrating. the burgers did cook but I am looking to do ribs for the 4th and with that swing I am not confident. I will do another test fire and record it better. (I just ordered the searing kit and all weather kit)
Try setting your feed rate down to 3. AZ is hot and dialing down the feed rate should put you where you wanna be.

You need to do a comparison first with a digital gauge fairly close to RT probe. Then set on middle of grates and make adjustments from there either augar rate or offset calibration. If possible, try to do out of the sun.

I have to ask how long did the spikes last? I am guessing not very long. My explanation may help you understand how the grill works. If you set the temp to 325 and don't open it it should stay there until you run out of pellets. Might very a little if the wind is blowing. If you open it the computer senses the temp drop and feeds more pellets. When you close the door the temp may go above 325 until pellets in the chamber cook off. I don't think anything is wrong with you 590.

You need to do a comparison first with a digital gauge fairly close to RT probe. Then set on middle of grates and make adjustments from there either augar rate or offset calibration. If possible, try to do out of the sun.
I just ordered an air probe and Dot from Thermoworks to test the temperature.

I have to ask how long did the spikes last? I am guessing not very long. My explanation may help you understand how the grill works. If you set the temp to 325 and don't open it it should stay there until you run out of pellets. Might very a little if the wind is blowing. If you open it the computer senses the temp drop and feeds more pellets. When you close the door the temp may go above 325 until pellets in the chamber cook off. I don't think anything is wrong with you 590.
I know how the grill works the spikes lasted for over 30 min. Climbing up to 50 to 75 degrees higher than set point. That is why I asked for help. I used to do competition BBQ 20 years ago using pecan wood and a large trailer smoker. Finally getting back into slow and low BBQ.

I know how the grill works the spikes lasted for over 30 min. Climbing up to 50 to 75 degrees higher than set point. That is why I asked for help. I used to do competition BBQ 20 years ago using pecan wood and a large trailer smoker. Finally getting back into slow and low BBQ.
I understand. I cooked ribs this past Sunday and over 6 hours the temp never varied over a couple of degrees over/under 225 other than when I wrapped and unwrapped them. I have not changed the default feed rate and the heat index was 105 that day but the wind was calm. Was it windy the day you had the issues?

I understand. I cooked ribs this past Sunday and over 6 hours the temp never varied over a couple of degrees over/under 225 other than when I wrapped and unwrapped them. I have not changed the default feed rate and the heat index was 105 that day but the wind was calm. Was it windy the day you had the issues?
I looked at the feed rate and it was at 30. I think I'll set it back to 65, default , and see what happens. the wind was calm in the morning but picked up in the afternoon when I cooked the food. I am going to test it right now. I have a chicken and ribs to cook. But testing I will do first. I also have a ThermoWorks DOT with Air probe coming on friday, that will be able to get the test done to calibrate the probes.

I did this last winter turn my feed rate down to 5. I then fine tuned with offset calibration to match a digital placed in center of grill. ( RT has a good video on this if you haven't seen yet ). Runs pretty spot on for entire cooks now. I usually don't open lid at all unless need to add something. Recovery time is minimal then.
A little playing around and you'll be quite pleased ;). Don't hesitate to call them if questions.

I am having the same problem with my new (3 week old) rt700. Yesterday I was cooking beef short ribs. My temp setting was 225 and it was cooking as high as 290 degrees. How do you adjust the feed rate and what rate should it be? Sometimes I set for "Low" and it spikes to 255. I'm also having problems with pairing the rt700 with my phone for wifi. It worked the first time but not any more. Lastly, I'm disappointed with how my grill looked after my first cook. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• 0615201532.jpg
    0615201532.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 106
I am having the same problem with my new (3 week old) rt700. Yesterday I was cooking beef short ribs. My temp setting was 225 and it was cooking as high as 290 degrees. How do you adjust the feed rate and what rate should it be? Sometimes I set for "Low" and it spikes to 255. I'm also having problems with pairing the rt700 with my phone for wifi. It worked the first time but not any more. Lastly, I'm disappointed with how my grill looked after my first cook. Here's a pic.
You can use the settings button on the controller or on the app
Set it to 3.0 and leave it there

I'm disappointed with how my grill looked after my first cook.
I understand that. I am accepting the fact that the stainless steel is stained. I used steel wool and recovered some of the new, but I need to stroke the same direction to maintain a faux mill look. I likely will just give up and let 'er go.
Mine does hold temp within a degree or two as indicated by the set point vs actual temp. I know the display output to the actual temp may be massaged by the controller to give the illusion of perfect control while using the true actual temp for control purposes. But that is just controller characteristics.
I never changed the feed rate from the 5% the controller indicated when it I bought it.
Probe "A" is a little flaky.
Not sure about your grill, but the control can be corrected. It is all about input, output, set point. I suspect RecTec will get you going, but it will take time and I would be very disappointed. Good Luck, Happy 4th.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back