Temperature Control Part 2

Infantryman

Military Veteran
Trying to keep low temps. with the auger speed control has been discussed at length.

I like to sear certain foods real hot, the new app on FULL lists 600 deg F. I myself have only achieved around 510 deg F after an hour plus of preheating, loosing patience and just cooking at that temp.

I wonder if the auger feed rate can be adjusted upward from the factory setting to increase the fuel being supplied to the burn pot? In theory that should increase my end temp. Often times theories don't pan out though, any of you knowledgeable RT Bull owners have an answer to this? I'd appreciate any help given.

Trying to keep low temps. with the auger speed control has been discussed at length.

I like to sear certain foods real hot, the new app on FULL lists 600 deg F. I myself have only achieved around 510 deg F after an hour plus of preheating, loosing patience and just cooking at that temp.

I wonder if the auger feed rate can be adjusted upward from the factory setting to increase the fuel being supplied to the burn pot? In theory that should increase my end temp. Often times theories don't pan out though, any of you knowledgeable RT Bull owners have an answer to this? I'd appreciate any help given.
All I have read was that the lower auger speed only effects low temps. Never checked the high end of auger speed. I do know that if your hopper catches fire ? you can get a good sear on a steak. Good question. ?? Go Greenies.

A lot of things can effect the maximum temperature these grills reach, ambient temperatures, pellets some burn hotter than others, combustion fan or auger motors getting lazy I'm not sure if muggy weather would do anything but feed rate on 6.5 or 3 will not effect high temperatures heat output.

Is there an official achievable temp range I should expect? I see the specs say you can set 200-500 with LO and FU going lower/ higher then that. I thought only Weber claimed 600 degrees.

A lot of things can effect the maximum temperature these grills reach, ambient temperatures, pellets some burn hotter than others, combustion fan or auger motors getting lazy I'm not sure if muggy weather would do anything but feed rate on 6.5 or 3 will not effect high temperatures heat output.
Well said. I have heard that wood chunks can raise the temp above the setting. Not sure if that’s a good plan for that reason.

PS - yesterday I needed to move my pellet tube to another part of the grill and didnt think twice that once it’s lit it is as hot as a match. Grabbed it with my bare hand. Seared my 3 fingers. Giant blisters this morning. As they said on Dragnet- Dumb, dumb dumb dumb. ??

Well said. I have heard that wood chunks can raise the temp above the setting. Not sure if that’s a good plan for that reason.

PS - yesterday I needed to move my pellet tube to another part of the grill and didnt think twice that once it’s lit it is as hot as a match. Grabbed it with my bare hand. Seared my 3 fingers. Giant blisters this morning. As they said on Dragnet- Dumb, dumb dumb dumb. ??
I'm not a betting man but $20 says you won't be doing that again. Burns suck make sure to take care of them fingers.

I've done it myself...

Is there an official achievable temp range I should expect? I see the specs say you can set 200-500 with LO and FU going lower/ higher then that. I thought only Weber claimed 600 degrees.
180°F to 600°F according to the new app, I'mnot sure if it's an "official claim" . I personally haven't even come close to 600°F

Towards the end of this thread....
https://www.rectecforum.com/threads/build-quality-590-vs-340.1302/page-2
A member commented on using a different auger motor in the attempt to push higher temps. I assume the BFG auger is a higher RPM motor that will push more pellets with a given high auger setting. That is a common upgrade for traeger grills when running a controller like a savannah stoker.
Pellet grills in general have limitations.

yesterday I needed to move my pellet tube to another part of the grill and didnt think twice that once it’s lit it is as hot as a match. Grabbed it with my bare hand. Seared my 3 fingers.
You're in good company. I did that at the end of a cook - went to remove the tube because wind was blowing ash onto the meat. Tongs in one hand, hot tube in the other...

I will confess myself, I lit the tube and when I later went to pick it up to put it in the Bull, I grabbed it by the hot, top part of the tube. That hasn’t happened since!

You're in good company. I did that at the end of a cook - went to remove the tube because wind was blowing ash onto the meat. Tongs in one hand, hot tube in the other...
Only has to happen once. Lesson learned. ??

180°F to 600°F according to the new app, I'mnot sure if it's an "official claim" . I personally haven't even come close to 600°F
Made chicken thighs today. Got up to 520. Couldn’t wait any longer. Maybe would have gotten higher. ??

I completely get what all your points for sure....what I'm still rather confused on is if you can actually increase your auger speed thereby feeding most pellets to your fire box which = higher achieved temps. Forgive me my simple question, I'm not interested in modifying my grill with other aftermarket parts (potentially voiding my warranty). Again I'd appreciate some more feedback from any of all the highly experienced Bull owners here in this forum I'm sure there are a bunch of folks that have the same question too! . It would be greatly appreciated.

In the interest of passing on info to the members of the forum who may be interested in getting higher temps with their Bull this is what a CS rep sent me back to my email inquiry yesterday, right from the horses mouth!

Screenshot_20200529-092555_Email.jpg

Well, it's back to the drying board.......I seem to recall people mentioning Bear Mountain burning really hot?

I did learn a few new things, notably the grill is rated for only 550°F, not 600°F as the new app update would suggest.

If anyone is willing to share any experience with hot burning pellets with me I'd appreciate it!

The "actual temp" on the grills control panel read 600 today set to FU, I was burning LJ Comp Blend for a pizza. It's a 340, not a Bull.

Pellet grills are versatile, but will only achieve so high a temperature. Part of why I kept the Weber gasser, and why others keep their charcoal or other cookers.
Me too....just trying to get down to using "a one grill/smoker that does everything." and that just plain doesn't exist, I should no better about that one, I have several others around the yard! ?

I‘ve had this grill since last June and this was the first time it was in direct sun while cooking, generally I move it so the never used smoker box exhaust is just out of the garage. The grill basically keeps the preset temp.. but this time I decided to roll it out in direct sun, and within 30 min to an hour, this grill kept alarming that it was 20 & and sometimes 40 degrees over the set temp, in this instance I decided to try smoking an 8 lb Butt which normally I do on my 22.5 Weber Smokey Mountain, so as long as there was direct sun on the grill, it alarmed for hrs, I cooked this at 230 for 11.5 hrs, when the sun was no longer on the grill, it maintained the setting.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I‘ve had this grill since last June and this was the first time it was in direct sun while cooking, generally I move it so the never used smoker box exhaust is just out of the garage. The grill basically keeps the preset temp.. but this time I decided to roll it out in direct sun, and within 30 min to an hour, this grill kept alarming that it was 20 & and sometimes 40 degrees over the set temp, in this instance I decided to try smoking an 8 lb Butt which normally I do on my 22.5 Weber Smokey Mountain, so as long as there was direct sun on the grill, it alarmed for hrs, I cooked this at 230 for 11.5 hrs, when the sun was no longer on the grill, it maintained the setting.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Totality normal, the sun on a grill will increase the temps. make sure the feed rate is set to 3 or 3.5, it may take care of this issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back