Bull Temperature is off

miasmactic

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hi, I just got my Rec-Tec RT-700 2 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I mainly got this unit because of the accurate temperature they advertise. Last week I did a test and set the temperature to 200 and place 2 oven thermometer to see if it actually is 200. The set point and the actual is at 200 and so I check and the oven thermometer is 170. So I bump it up by another 50 degrees and let it hold for 30 min then check again. It was 30 degree off again. I tried this test on 300,350 and 400 and they were all off by 30 degrees. Weirded out, I thought my oven thermometer is off and put them in the oven to test them. The oven temp and the thermometer temp is match accordingly. So I called Rec-Tec and the gentlemen over there said the smoke temp and the oven temp are different. Is that true? Is there another way to accurately measure the temp?

Digital thermometer such as Maverick, Therm Pro, or Inkbird that's has been checked in ice water and boiling water. Oven thermometers are "not" accurate from what I have experienced

There are plenty of oven thermometers that are accurate, to keep your sanity pick a spot inside and calibrate that spot to what you want. You are never going to get every single spot across the grilling surface to match. Mine to was quite a bit low upon receiving, after calibrating to my liking, i have not had a significant issue since.

There's a few threads on here for syncing your probes... Just do the best you can and go from there. After that use a decent meat thermometer to DBL check internal temps and you're good to go. Remember that adjustments to your Bull's meat probes are in °degrees and the grill area probe is in %percentage. Also it's based on a RecTec algorithm. So don't super stress it being perfect Like I did*...haha. good luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back