Bull Temperature probe A issues

txdave

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I’ve had my Bull for close to a year and have never used the temp probes. I don’t have WiFi and can’t run the grill from my phone so I usually monitor temps with a thermapen. I decided to try the temp probe this morning. Plugged into probe A port with the grill on and got a reading of 27 degrees with it in ice water. I used the offset adjustment to bring it up to 33 degrees( same as thermapen). Took it out of the water and it never changed. Now, even when the probe is unplugged. Probe port A still shows 33 degrees.
I plugged the same probe into port B and calibrated it again. Works perfect in port B. When I unplug from port B the display goes away and displays the three dashes like it should. Port A is still showing 33 degrees( with no probe attached).
What’s up with this? Anyone have this same issue?

thanks
Dave

Thanks for the reply’s. I did notice the probe ports were loose. I tightened both nuts slightly making sure I didn’t rotate the port.
I will check it out again and see if I can figure out something.

Dave

I’ve had my Bull for close to a year and have never used the temp probes. I don’t have WiFi and can’t run the grill from my phone so I usually monitor temps with a thermapen. I decided to try the temp probe this morning. Plugged into probe A port with the grill on and got a reading of 27 degrees with it in ice water. I used the offset adjustment to bring it up to 33 degrees( same as thermapen). Took it out of the water and it never changed. Now, even when the probe is unplugged. Probe port A still shows 33 degrees.
I plugged the same probe into port B and calibrated it again. Works perfect in port B. When I unplug from port B the display goes away and displays the three dashes like it should. Port A is still showing 33 degrees( with no probe attached).
What’s up with this? Anyone have this same issue?

thanks
Dave
Not sure what the "Offset Adjustment" is
Both of mine were off by 4 degrees
Went into settings
Setting 3, ProA, dialed to -4
Setting 4, ProB, dialed to -4
Waited for the Screen to reset to Main Screen
Plugged in both Probes, 32, both A and B
Switched Probes, 32, for both A and B

What you described is the offset, which it sounds like you did correctly. I had one of my probes off by two degrees. That correction worked. Been good ever since. I check once a month.

Update! Received a call from Recteq. Looks like a defective probe port. Being the probe ports are integrated in the controller and are not removable for replacement, they are sending out a brand new controller. Awesome customer service. Recteq has always been top notch in the customer service dept.

Dave

Not sure what the "Offset Adjustment" is
Both of mine were off by 4 degrees
Went into settings
Setting 3, ProA, dialed to -4
Setting 4, ProB, dialed to -4
Waited for the Screen to reset to Main Screen
Plugged in both Probes, 32, both A and B
Switched Probes, 32, for both A and B
The offset adjustment is used if your grill's actual temp is different that the reading on your display. This video will make it easier to understand, and will show you how to make adjustments.

Found the Video kinda vague, but it did get the Internal, Actual and Sceen Temp calibrated
The Video doesn't really touch on the Probs, and it seems that the "percentage" (up / down) worked for the internal, but not the Probes
I may have to try THAT again

Holly crap I'm glad I searched rectec probe issues and found these threads or I would have been ordering my third set of probes thinking that they where just going bad. went outside and tightened the nuts a little and I'll be damned now I'm receiving accurate temperature readings on both probes. would have been nice to have known this before ordering the second set thanks Rectec don't I feel like a jackazz

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back