Temperature Problem

Gotbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Set up 2 racks of ribs at 180 the for about hour. Then I set the temp to 225. All good for 1 hr, then went without me changing anything to 240, 250, 260. Set to 225. Thoughts on the cause and how to get temp under control???? This is not a good situation ??

Set up 2 racks of ribs at 180 the for about hour. Then I set the temp to 225. All good for 1 hr, then went without me changing anything to 240, 250, 260. Set to 225. Thoughts on the cause and how to get temp under control???? This is not a good situation ??
What is your feed rate set to and temps out side in full sun today?

Last edited:
You asked for thoughts, so... perhaps the elements could have played a role (sun/outdoor temp). Is this your first experience with this problem?

You asked for thoughts, so... perhaps the elements could have played a role (sun/outdoor temp). Is this your first experience with this problem?
2nd time. Couldn’t get temp down ??

I'll bet you that the sun did indeed play a part in this mystery. I've seen the sun raise my pit temp 20°F - 25°F over ambient. I'm no engineer but I know cooking and would hazard a guess the auger feed rate is calibrated at around 70°F or so, hence the positive temp deviation. But, then again I could be completely full of Sh$# too. The latter is probably the case here! ?

I'll bet you that the sun did indeed play a part in this mystery. I've seen the sun raise my pit temp 20°F - 25°F over ambient. I'm no engineer but I know cooking and would hazard a guess the auger feed rate is calibrated at around 70°F or so, hence the positive temp deviation. But, then again I could be completely full of Sh$# too. The latter is probably the case here! ?
No, I think you are right. I lowered the feed rate and it looked like the temps evened but I took the ribs off before they overcooked. I’ll get a better look at it tomorrow. ?? Go greenies

No, I think you are right. I lowered the feed rate and it looked like the temps evened but I took the ribs off before they overcooked. I’ll get a better look at it tomorrow. ?? Go greenies
Nice. Can't wait for the update, gonna get real hot around here real quick! This is a handy tip that may have an imminent application. ?

You're correct Sir, we greenies have to stick together! ?

I'm pretty sure your point on and not full of Sh$# ?

I posted yesterday about direct sun exposure on my Trailblazer. The peak is from direct sun exposure. I never did anything with the feed rate, just shade....

https://www.rectecforum.com/threads/sun-induced-temp-swings.1568/
Temps.jpg

I had noticed my temps running hot lately. Adjusted the feed rate and it's been holding steady since. As summer temps increase, I suspect I'll be adjusting even more.

I had noticed my temps running hot lately. Adjusted the feed rate and it's been holding steady since. As summer temps increase, I suspect I'll be adjusting even more.
Any thoughts on how low you can adjust without causing a problem? ??

Just a thought... Did you update the app on your phone? I never had a problem with temp swings until this Sunday after I updated the app, was cooking a London Broil at 250 and had big swings in temp.
Just thinking out loud...
George

Any thoughts on how low you can adjust without causing a problem? ??
I'm going to do it small increments at a time until it stays consistent. 20 -30 degree swing doesn't bother me too much. Seems to do that when sun goes in and out. Until it goes high and stays there, I won't adjust

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back