Bullseye That doesn't look right

wildblue

Well crap. I'm pretty sure that's the set temp probe? And I'm not even sure there's an easy fix for it, and I'm assuming I can't use the grill without it.
I'm sure RecTec will take care of me, but dammit... I was really looking forward to grilling some burgers tonight.
Why would you even ship it with that 'poking out' like that? Make that a 'user installed' part or pack some styro around it. Grrrrrr......

I did get the 'new' version of the wheel caps though.

1593019700543.png

Attachments

• 1593019928329.png
    1593019928329.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
I sent them an email already. I know they're probably flooded with calls and everything, and an email with the picture made more sense I think.
I'm just bummed.... been waiting for this for months now, even had the girl picking up stuff to make burgers on the way home and we were having a cookout this weekend I was hoping to use it for. I can wait a few more days, I'm just disappointed.
Actually, I wonder if I can help them.... the UPS driver put it on its side when he was unloading.... I might go look for the video, that might explain the damage enough for them to bitch at UPS

I would be upset too, I could post many delivery fails from all the shipping companies, FedEx, UPS Amazon and USPS that have been shipped to me. I've been watching the Bullseye as and it's delivery issues and what you posted is the first I seen, I know RecTec will take care of it but agree with you on the disappoint.

Well crap. I'm pretty sure that's the set temp probe? And I'm not even sure there's an easy fix for it, and I'm assuming I can't use the grill without it.
I'm sure RecTec will take care of me, but dammit... I was really looking forward to grilling some burgers tonight.
Why would you even ship it with that 'poking out' like that? Make that a 'user installed' part or pack some styro around it. Grrrrrr......

I did get the 'new' version of the wheel caps though.

View attachment 5101
That’s tough. Bummer. I got mine today and unfortunately the box was banged up real bad. My heart sunk; it was unlikely to be A ok in there. Turns out there is a lot of cosmetic damage including a substantial dent underneath the hopper. Needless to say, I photographed it all before opening and after then called them up. Emailed the details after speaking to them and let’s just say they are making it all good and then some. I do have to ask, you have two yellow bags - I only had one - what’s in the other bag not labeled with the tapping screws? Some kind of different wheel caps? Thinking something else fell out of my box in transit. Or was this where the phantom lid spacer was supposed to reside?

That’s tough. Bummer. I got mine today and unfortunately the box was banged up real bad. My heart sunk; it was unlikely to be A ok in there. Turns out there is a lot of cosmetic damage including a substantial dent underneath the hopper. Needless to say, I photographed it all before opening and after then called them up. Emailed the details after speaking to them and let’s just say they are making it all good and then some. I do have to ask, you have two yellow bags - I only had one - what’s in the other bag not labeled with the tapping screws? Some kind of different wheel caps? Thinking something else fell out of my box in transit. Or was this where the phantom lid spacer was supposed to reside?
One bag is screws, the other one has the metal caps. I know they're for the wheels, I'm just not sure how yet because they haven't updated the assembly instructions :D

Bummer!

I just got mine today too and started putting it together and sheared off two screws on one of the wheeled legs and stripped one on the other. So frustrating... ?

Found the yellow bag with self tapping screws but no instructions saying to use that instead of the regular screws in the manual so didn’t know there were issues with the screws.

Not sure what to do with it besides contacting RT.

Anyone else have this issue and how to solve it?

Bummer!

I just got mine today too and started putting it together and sheared off two screws on one of the wheeled legs and stripped one on the other. So frustrating... ?

Found the yellow bag with self tapping screws but no instructions saying to use that instead of the regular screws in the manual so didn’t know there were issues with the screws.

Not sure what to do with it besides contacting RT.

Anyone else have this issue and how to solve it?
Dang. Well I read somewhere before hand on this forum the issue and happened to own a tap to retap threads first and all was well. At this point you’ll need to extract the bolts if you got the tools to do so - I’d call RT to let em know the issue regardless. Not sure how much of the bolts are above the pem nut but if enough there and you have a dremel you can try to carve a little slot in there carefully and back it out with a small flat head screw driver. I believe those yellow bagged self tapping screws are what you’d use in the sheared bolts place Provided the bolt was not in the way. An alternate may be to carefully drill a hole through the sheared bolt but that can cause other challenges. Bummer for sure. Anyway - call em for sure. They’ll figure out something for you. Best of luck to you

Dang. Well I read somewhere before hand on this forum the issue and happened to own a tap to retap threads first and all was well. At this point you’ll need to extract the bolts if you got the tools to do so - I’d call RT to let em know the issue regardless. Not sure how much of the bolts are above the pem nut but if enough there and you have a dremel you can try to carve a little slot in there carefully and back it out with a small flat head screw driver. I believe those yellow bagged self tapping screws are what you’d use in the sheared bolts place Provided the bolt was not in the way. An alternate may be to carefully drill a hole through the sheared bolt but that can cause other challenges. Bummer for sure. Anyway - call em for sure. They’ll figure out something for you. Best of luck to you

Not super knowledgeable about this kind of thing. What is the pem nut?

I do have a dremel, I thought I may try that tomorrow with the stripped screw, it’s just unfortunately the corner screw that is a tight fit to begin with so not sure I’ll be able to get it in there.

One of the sheared screws was pretty close to being fully in place when it came off, the other about half way.

Yeah, planning on giving them a call tomorrow. The least they could have done was update the manual - it’s online after all! Shouldn’t be too difficult. Or add an actual note in the packaging. Oh well, I’ll get it fixed somehow.

Don’t have any other tools for removing the screws, unfortunately. Not sure if I’d know how to do it either ... google here we come!

Just to wrap this one up a little -
I had emailed them a picture early in the day, but as it got closer to 5 I was getting antsy because I wanted to know if I could use it without, if it was user replaceable so go ahead and assemble the grill, and if the replacement might make it in time for the weekend (we're having a couple people over, wanted to use it)
So I called a few times - twice it just rang and rang, once I got a "we're experiencing high call volume" ... I know, there's a thousand other people with their grills showing up this week, take a breath, give them some slack. Tried once more right after 5 and got a live person. I explained what I thought came broken and he asked for a picture - which I had already sent. He couldn't get to that email for some reason, but said they should get with me first thing in the morning once they see it. Yeah, ok, they close at 7 anyway, I can wait a day, I'm just being impatient, nothing is getting sent out right this second.
Well around 7 my phone rings with a Georgia number - it's Chef Greg. Says they missed a call from this number and could he help with anything. ? I told him I finally did get a hold of someone, but that the answer was 'wait until tomorrow' which I was ok with. He honestly seemed horrified that nothing had really been done yet. He went ahead and started an order for the part I thought it was, and asked for a pic just to make sure. I happened to be sitting at my computer so I sent it to him right then. He said he'd get with the shipping guys to see if it could be expedited and here in time for the weekend.

I know it's been said before, but their customer service is just off the charts. They really fit that "... we're not a grill company, we're a customer service company that happens to sell grills" I've seen a bunch of people bitch about not being able to get a 380 and that they're going to the competition. Try that ^^ with Weber. I'll gladly wait a little bit or pay a little more for that level of service.

Edit: good lord.... they're shipping the silly part by next-day air :giggle:

Last edited:
Just to wrap this one up a little -
I had emailed them a picture early in the day, but as it got closer to 5 I was getting antsy because I wanted to know if I could use it without, if it was user replaceable so go ahead and assemble the grill, and if the replacement might make it in time for the weekend (we're having a couple people over, wanted to use it)
So I called a few times - twice it just rang and rang, once I got a "we're experiencing high call volume" ... I know, there's a thousand other people with their grills showing up this week, take a breath, give them some slack. Tried once more right after 5 and got a live person. I explained what I thought came broken and he asked for a picture - which I had already sent. He couldn't get to that email for some reason, but said they should get with me first thing in the morning once they see it. Yeah, ok, they close at 7 anyway, I can wait a day, I'm just being impatient, nothing is getting sent out right this second.
Well around 7 my phone rings with a Georgia number - it's Chef Greg. Says they missed a call from this number and could he help with anything. ? I told him I finally did get a hold of someone, but that the answer was 'wait until tomorrow' which I was ok with. He honestly seemed horrified that nothing had really been done yet. He went ahead and started an order for the part I thought it was, and asked for a pic just to make sure. I happened to be sitting at my computer so I sent it to him right then. He said he'd get with the shipping guys to see if it could be expedited and here in time for the weekend.

I know it's been said before, but their customer service is just off the charts. They really fit that "... we're not a grill company, we're a customer service company that happens to sell grills" I've seen a bunch of people bitch about not being able to get a 380 and that they're going to the competition. Try that ^^ with Weber. I'll gladly wait a little bit or pay a little more for that level of service.

Edit: good lord.... they're shipping the silly part by next-day air :giggle:
Rec Tec customer service is #1, I'm glad it's working out for you, kudos Chef Greg to the rescue. (y) (y) (y)

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back