Tonight's Rib Cook

cookingjnj

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hi all.

We will be taking my son back to school tomorrow so he can start his third year at UMD. His request for the last two dinners at home were steak and ribs. Last night I cooked two beautiful 1.5 inch rib eye steaks ( yes the two were big enough for three of us.... my daughter does not like steak). Since I cooked the steaks on another type cooker, will not bore you with those results...hmm hmm. But the ribs tonight on the 680 were fantastic.

In the past I had been using a few commercial sauces when finishing my ribs, but tonight wanted to try something different. One idea was using peach preserves. I have used peach preserves as an ingredient when making my own BBQ sauce, but never trying it as a finishing glaze to my ribs.

This is not a recipe, as it is only a guess on what I added to make my glaze. I am bad a recipes. When I cook from scratch, it is really from scratch. I add and mix things until it taste as I like.

Here is what I guess I made:
6-7 Ounces Peach Preserves
1 TBSP Brown Sugar
2 TBSP Bourbon
1 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
1 TBSP Butter
Splash or two of apple juice
1 1/2 TBSP Apple Sauce
Chipotle to taste (I just keep adding to the mixture until it has the flavor and heat I like)

I cannot say this is a true recipe because when I make something I add ingredients until the sauce/glaze has the flavor I like. I am hoping this does give the idea of my thoughts and what I did. The above is a good estimate.

I heated the recipe on the stove and reduced by about half to get the start of a nice glaze. Result was a very good glaze. It had an awesome peach flavor, some tang from the vinegar and bourbon, and pretty good heat from the chipotle. I cooled and put in the fridge while the ribs were cooking.

I seasoned the ribs with my favorite all purpose rub. I actually seasoned the ribs last night and had them resting in the fridge. Heated the pit to 225. Ribs cooked on the pit at 225 for the first 3 hours. I spritzed with a mixture of apple juice and apple cider vinegar (4:1) every 45 minutes. After 3 hours bumped the temp up to 250 and continued to spritz until the ribs had been on for 5 hours. At about the 6 hour mark the ribs where pulling away from the bone a little, seemed to be probe tender and good crack test. Glazed one rack with Sweet Baby Rays Sweet and Spicy BBQ and the other with the homemade peach glaze. (I was afraid the family might not like the homemade glaze). Returned to the pit at 225 for an additional 30 minutes. (I had to reduce the temp due to a timing of dinner issue....long story). Due to our timing issue, I tented the ribs after pulling, and they sat tented with tin foil about 20 minutes before slicing.

I have to say the ribs came out outstanding. Both the commercial and peach glaze. The smoke flavor, tenderness, moisture and texture were spot on. Peach and Ribs go together like chocolate and peanut butter. Those ribs were outstanding. I was worried my son (being his last dinner before going back to school and requested ribs) and wife would not like the peach/sweet/ chipotle flavor. They LOVED it. The only ribs we have left over are the commercially sauced ones. Both my wife and son said best ribs ever. That goes a long way since they have really loved all the other rib cooks I have made in the past.

The direct contact with the ribs changed the flavor of the glaze. Prior to glazing the ribs, it has a very sweet pronounced flavor, with a good back of heat from the chipotle. After cooking they all blended very well. For me (I like heat) I might add a little more chipotle next time. There will be a next time! Great ribs tonight, sorry if the pics do not do them justice.

New ribs on the pit.JPG
New ribs waiting for sauce.JPG
New Ribs off Pit.JPG
New Ribs sliced.JPG

Wow, those look incredible!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back