Torn between the 700 and 590, please give me your opinions.

Syprus

As the title says, I'm in the game for a pellet grill and decided on rectec...however, i can't decide between the bull and stampede. I'll MOSTLY be using it for family cooks with the (very) occasional 10-20 person party so I'm not sure if I would actually need the extra size of the bull. However, my understanding is the bull is slightly higher quality steel etc. Any suggestions? How did you all make your decision?

Thanks in advance!

I was in the same boat as you about a week ago. Now sitting on my patio is the 700! Honestly for me, the aesthetics played a big role in my decision. I love that the hopper is located on the back, I like the smokestack, prefer the rounded look, also like the interior light. And obviously the extra room doesn’t hurt! I’m not too sure if it’s made with higher quality materials, though. So for $300 more It was worth it for me!

Im sure the 590 would've worked just fine for me, and it’s also a great option! The bull is just sexy!

I was in the same boat as you about a week ago. Now sitting on my patio is the 700! Honestly for me, the aesthetics played a big role in my decision. I love that the hopper is located on the back, I like the smokestack, prefer the rounded look, also like the interior light. And obviously the extra room doesn’t hurt! I’m not too sure if it’s made with higher quality materials, though. So for $300 more It was worth it for me!

Im sure the 590 would've worked just fine for me, and it’s also a great option! The bull is just sexy!

Oh yeah, and you have more warranty!

I own the Stampede. What brought me to buying the Stampede was 1. Price was just right for me 2. The cooking chamber was just enough for me to feed my family of 2 or a house full of guest.

After smoking a 12lb packer brisket I took a sec to see how much room was left once it was placed inside. I could easily fit two 12lbers and leave some space between them to cook. Or a few Boston butts, or brisket with some butts. So its plenty big for my needs.

I like how the hopper is on the side. Alowes me to place the smoker say up against the wall and still access the hopper. Not sure how accessible the bulls hopper is if put in the same situation as I've never seen one in person.

All in all it comes down to what you personally want. Either way I know you'll be happy with either one...

Thanks for all the info...although I'm not any closer to a decision lol. Sounds like the Stampede would be plenty enough room for me but people do really love the Bull...

I've got a few commentaries on here talking about how the Stampede is more cooker than some might imagine, yet I have no axe to grind against the Bull. I would have bought the Bull if I'd been willing to dedicate the extra real estate to it. I don't doubt you've seen opinions about some perceived higher quality metal in the Bull, but I would find that highly suspicious (internet is great for that) as most people haven't a clue how to actually determine that. As for feeding higher numbers of guests, 20 is easy from a Stampede......50 might be a challenge, but with only six more inches of grate length the Bull only has a marginal advantage.

Just ordered a Bull for myself after going back and forth numerous time. I finally just DID IT! Either one will make you happy !!

As the title says, I'm in the game for a pellet grill and decided on rectec...however, i can't decide between the bull and stampede. I'll MOSTLY be using it for family cooks with the (very) occasional 10-20 person party so I'm not sure if I would actually need the extra size of the bull. However, my understanding is the bull is slightly higher quality steel etc. Any suggestions? How did you all make your decision?

Thanks in advance!

My dad has a bull and I have a stampede. The size difference is nominal (in my opinion) so I went with the stampede. The only REAL difference is you can add a shelf to the front of the bull, but a front shelf for the stampede IS coming soon—like within the next few months. I love my stampede. I smoked an 11 lb (after trimming 4 lbs of fat off) brisket and had plenty of room for other stuff. There is no wrong answer really. You will dig either of them!

I had the

Thanks in advance!

I had the same quandary.

$300 for the longer warranty, bigger cook area, pellets in the back ... well worth it.

You’ll never need the bigger cooking area, until you do...

This is a multi-year investment ... $300 is worth the benefits.

I was on the fence and decided on the bull. I'm not rich but its not that much difference in price so get the one that appeals to you most. There is a 6 year warranty on the bull. I received it this Tuesday and have only cooked a pizza some bread, brussel sprouts and italian meatballs so far. Everything went well with the grill. I'm cooking marinated chicken and mac and cheese today. There is only my wife and I at home but the extra space on the grill is not a problem.

For me, it was the BFG 2500 or the RT-700. I get sucked into catering meats at parties a once in a while. The last one was in May when my wife retired. It was the biggest request I'd done. Tri-tip and pulled pork for over 100 people.

In the end, I went for the smaller of the two. My wife greenlighted me for a RT-700 for Christmas/retirement. With the smoke box on the side, I see a lot of potential. Still, I won't get rid of the komados or gasser. There are things they can do better and faster than a pellet grill and having them gives me flexibility.

If you are like me and aesthetics mean something to you Go with the Bull. I ordered the Stampede before watching a YouTube video where Ray mentioned it being their flagship model, benefits and differences. I had the truck turned around and had them send the Bull. No regrets here. Either way you won’t go wrong... but the smoke stack and light were enough for me.

I like the RT590 it works Great.
If you are like me and aesthetics mean something to you Go with the Bull. I ordered the Stampede before watching a YouTube video where Ray mentioned it being their flagship model, benefits and differences. I had the truck turned around and had them send the Bull. No regrets here. Either way you won’t go wrong... but the smoke stack and light were enough for me.
I like the RT590 so does wife cooked ribs, prime rib,now pork butt .no problems.

@Syprus, as a very happy Stampede owner, I could try and convince you to pull the trigger on a Stampede and use the extra jack to trick it out with accessories (which is what I did), or use the money to fund something else that is important to you and your family. On the flip side, there are many Bull owners out there who are just as happy as Stampede owners and will try and convince you to pull the trigger on a Bull, the extra cost for the perceived gains are worth it.

But I’m not going to go there.

Instead, I’m going to pull the economist card (because, you know, it’s my thing) ....the value proposition of purchasing from RECTEC obviously appeals to you, because you’re here...so I would suggest that you consider the opportunity cost that applies to your specific situation.

In other words, looking across the entire spectrum of you/your family’s current situation, what other potential benefit would you lose out on if you purchased a Stampede? What about if you purchased a Bull?

Collectively, WE believe you can’t go wrong either way....but only YOU are the one that knows you best....after evaluating your opportunity cost, you will make the right choice for you.

And you will be happy, trust us!

While there may be general discussion value in this thread, any reference to the original poster may not have much value as it's been 6 months since his original post and the only two posts he's ever made on this site are in this thread. Methinks he's made whatever decision(s) he felt was appropriate and continuing to participate here isn't one of them.

Own the Stampede. I really enjoy learning this machine. My one thought is beings the Stampede has 3 vents compared to the bulls 1 Vent on the end, would the smoke remain in the chamber a bit longer before exiting on the Bull providing a little more smoke flavor ? That was my main concern going with the Stampede.

@Wslayer I'm going to throw out a guess that, that would depend on volume of vent areas and air flow. I would like to say "yes" more smoke in the 700 but the real answer is....I don't know. #Imadeauselesspost

Own the Stampede. I really enjoy learning this machine. My one thought is beings the Stampede has 3 vents compared to the bulls 1 Vent on the end, would the smoke remain in the chamber a bit longer before exiting on the Bull providing a little more smoke flavor ? That was my main concern going with the Stampede.

It's certainly going to take more pellets to get the Bull up to heat and maintain it. I usually cook for two on the Stampede and there is a lot of wasted space that I am heating. I really want to fill it up when I run it but then I would end up with a lot of leftovers and a lot of time between cooks. :-/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back