Trailblazer temperature issues

sharkman8258

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Hello all, I have a Trailblazer and I cannot get the temp to control below 300. I have it set to low and the temp goes to 305 to 308 and stays there. Trying to smoke a brisket and it just doesn't work. I am really upset at this point as trying to smoke a brisket at 308 has just ruined my brisket. Anyone having the same issues? Please help as I have just ruined a 14 pound prime brisket.

Lowered the feed rate to the lowest setting 4.0 and although it did bring the temp down it only brought it down to 280°F.

I dont have tb i have bfg mine is at 3.5 for feed rate and temps are dead in

Call RECTEC tomorrow

The next thing i could try would be the temperature calibration. I am a little wary of doing this though. This is the tenth cook I have done and never had a problem before. I have done ribs, tri tip, brisket and chicken and the temp has always gone straight to the set point with a little over shoot and then settled down to my setpoint in about 15 to twenty minutes.

the minimum setting for the trailblazer is 4.0. I think i will try calling them tomorrow when i get home from work.

Thank You so very much for replying! I love my Rec Tec! I have had it just under a year and the cooks I have done have been awesome. Using it as a grill is impressive as well. I have grill steaks, hot dogs and hamburgers with excellent success.

Hey sharkman. What was your ambient temp during your cook, and was your pit in direct sunlight? In very hot conditions with direct sun as well, it can impact the pit's ability to get to lower temps.

Try running the feed rate at 3.0 and put the smoker in the shade if possible. High ambient temp can really create issues as well, and you gotta run the feed rate low to account for it.

Thank you all for the help. I got up early and set the temperature to 205 and the unit went to 205 and held. My whole issue is the ambient temperature here in Georgia was 95 degrees when I was trying to smoke and my unit was in the sun...can you say ROOKIE. Sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused anyone. I now have it inn the shade and will adjust the feed rate to accommodate increases in ambient temperature. Thank you all for your assistance and patience!!!!

Old expressions become old expressions for a reason(s)…………...the one that seems appropriate here is, "made in the shade".

Glad you got it figured out with relative ease.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back