Trailblazer Trying to Decide on First Pellet Grill

Cokeman

Hello all,

I am looking at the RT-340 and am trying to decide if it would work for me or if I should go with the RT-590. I have four people in my family and occasionally have people over. The 340 sounds like it would be the right size but I want to be sure. Have any of you got to the point where you thought you should have gone bigger? If so, why? Could you not fit enough items on because of the amount of people you were cooking for or was there an item that you just couldn’t fit inside the grill because it was too big?

I was in your boat and elected to go with the 590. A little extra room is easier to deal with versus being cramped or muti-batching. I added the comp cart because I wheel mine around a little bid. 590 on a comp cart is a tank. They'll make the same food for you.

Hello all,

I am looking at the RT-340 and am trying to decide if it would work for me or if I should go with the RT-590. I have four people in my family and occasionally have people over. The 340 sounds like it would be the right size but I want to be sure. Have any of you got to the point where you thought you should have gone bigger? If so, why? Could you not fit enough items on because of the amount of people you were cooking for or was there an item that you just couldn’t fit inside the grill because it was too big?
I have grilled a dozen pork chops on my RT-340, but still decided to get the RT-590 also. I occasionally make multiple butts or 5+ racks of ribs and that is just impossible on the RT-340. If you can get the RT-590, go for it. And get the inside shelf for veggies/sides for additional space, too.
Randee

I have the 340, but there's only 2 of us. If I had a need to cook more then a couple racks of ribs or a few chickens, space wise, I'd go with the Stampede.

If you have a family and possibly others, I would recommend you choose between the 590 and 700. I think the 340 maybe a little small and it is pushed as more of a travel/tailgate smoker/grill. But, whatever you choose, I think you will love and welcome to the group!

When it comes to grills I always say go bigger if you can afford it and space isn't a problem when storing it. I got the Bull and it's just the 2 of us 99% of the time. I'm now thinking on getting the Bulleye for our every day grill.

Go big. I your are between two units, go for the bigger one. You can always cook less, but too small is always too small. either way you will love rec tec. ??

Last edited:
4 family + friends is really into 700 territory, IMO. The cooking area of these pellet grills is effectively smaller than the grates themselves. It's more like the size of the drip pan. There's just me and my wife, but I cook enough to have leftovers for a good number of meals.

go bigger! I cook for two and have the 700. love it! extra room is great. not enough room blows!

I have the 340 and with a family of 5 and occasional friends over I haven't run out of space, but have pushed the limit some. I wish I would have gone with the 590, so I would recommend that one. The nice thing about the smaller size of the 340 however is that it takes very little time to get to temperature and seems to be easy on pellets.

If I was to get a RT340 it would be my camping grill to put in the trailer, my thoughts lately for the camping grill is now leaning towards the new Bullseye.

A mid sized brisket wouldnt be a good fit in the 340 without hanging past the drip tray.

Cooking for 2-4 most times. Sometimes I wish I went with the 590 but I like the option to transport my 340. I took this to my mom's in the back of a mid size suv and had my family packed for several days too. I cooked two small to medium size turkeys but it was cramped. If you don't plan to take it anywhere, go bigger in my opinion.

A quick calculation of my Bull's cooking area over the drip tray shows its just a bit over 500 sq/in.

If I were to do it again, I think I'd like to have a 50% larger cooking area, somewhere around 700-800 sq/in of drip tray protected grill. That would be closer to my old stick burners useful grill area.

A quick calculation of my Bull's cooking area over the drip tray shows its just a bit over 500 sq/in.

If I were to do it again, I think I'd like to have a 50% larger cooking area, somewhere around 700-800 sq/in of drip tray protected grill. That would be closer to my old stick burners useful grill area.
BFG

Hello all,

I have the RT-340 and wish I had gone with the 590. It’s only my wife and I but I like making jerky, bacon and ribs. 3 racks of ribs barely fit and up until I bought a couple shelves I had to do 2 batches of bacon and jerky. Waste of time and pellets.

There’s not a lot of head space for the shelving so larger items won’t fit on the shelves. The other thing is if you place food too close to the front and rear edges of the grate you run the risk of uneven cooking or even charring.

If I could go back in time I’d buy at minimum the 590.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back