Warped Deflector Shield

View attachment 880

Was replacing the aluminum foil on the drip tray after the 3rd cook. When I took the drip tray out, I noticed something didn't look right. The deflector shield was warped, see picture.

Is this a problem? Since this defects heat, will this now deflect heat more to one side than the other?

Before I decide whether to contact Rec Tec or not, just wanted to check and see if others have had this issue and if it is still ok to use. If it's ok and doesn't affect anything, then I'm good. Thanks...
M

I purchased the RT700 Bull did 2 cooks and deflector is warped to the point the Grease don’t flow to channel calling to get new deflector from rec tec I understand the heating and cooling can indeed cause this issue I’m good as long as they make it right

I purchased the RT700 Bull did 2 cooks and deflector is warped to the point the Grease don’t flow to channel calling to get new deflector from rec tec I understand the heating and cooling can indeed cause this issue I’m good as long as they make it right
Are you saying your heat deflector is so warped it hits (and raised) the drip tray? ..any pics?

I had the same issue, pushed up both my drip tray and grate. They replaced the deflector and the new one did it too but slightly less severe. Only pushes up the drip tray this time which still causes grease flow problems.

Mine is warped pretty severely also. After 4 cooks.

You guys do know it cannot sit in the grill like what you are showing on a flat surface! The front and back are notched...When it sits in the grill the notches do not allow it to tweak as severely. Mine looks as badly twisted the same in the pic above when out of the grill. I would not have even bothered to look if this thread hadnt popped up but when I was cleaning it yesterday I pulled it to clean the ash and I too noticed it but when I went to look further when putting it back in the grill, The notches fit over the pellet feed tube and the bracket up front when I press it in place it lays flat or very very slightly with a twist but nowhere near touching the drip pan. The pellet tube cutout hold it in place. Now I will say that getting the drip pan in correctly took me a few tries at first and when wrong it would be close but once I got it figured out now its not a problem. On my grill I really do not see this as a problem. I guess I will keep an eye on it but as of right now I used it yesterday to smoke a meatloaf and it drained fine and the meatloaf came out perfectly.

@NU2SMOKE ..I'm definitely aware of what you posted, and I believe it may not be an issue for some, but for others it has warped further and does push on the drip pan..which could affect draining and or heat levels.....
Mine fits back into the notches also, but it can be wobbled, which tells me there's more room for more warp. I think in general people that pay 1200$ for a grill/smoker shouldn't have parts that warp at all. I'm wondering if the front brackets that it rests on are not square with the pellet housing?.. that would cause heat to warp it and still set back Into position...
Still love the smoker and I'm not (nor would I) going to bash RecTec. This is just a grill to some but a major purchase to others. So it's disheartening to the ones that may have to second guess their quality of purchase I'm still waiting for my RecTec's response to see what they tell me on mine.
Hell just look at some of the wives responses to how chicken is cooked let alone pulling out bent parts on the purchase she didn't want.... I don't want to be that guy..hahaha!!! (I'm not btw)...lol

@Buckeye smoker I agree with you. I was just hoping that maybe the problem was with how the drip try was being put in . I know I didn't get it right at first. There shouldn't be an issue like this but so far it hasn't affected the performance any for me. I wonder what could have changed from the previous model to the 700. I know the heat shield should be the same so it is definitely a mystery as to why it is just now showing up.

The RT site said they actually made heavier deflectors?..I wonder if this is the reason and also wondering if we have old stock?...

The RT site said they actually made heavier deflectors?..I wonder if this is the reason and also wondering if we have old stock?...

Actually my guess is the other way round...……..maybe. It appears to me that each of you that are noticing this "issue" are all newer owners within the past couple months (rough estimate). I'm getting ready to use my Stampede this evening so thought I'd do and ash clean out. I pulled the deflector and it showed no warpage. I got this last year at the end of November, so, relatively speaking, it's older stock. I haven't seen any of the older version owners joining in on noticing this "issue". See pic below for what mine looks like.

As a business owner who cared about how we were taking care of our customers I hated when I felt like I was in the dark about any disappointments we might have caused. It's great to think you're so fabulous at taking care of the customers that you just go along patting yourself on the back for being so spectacular. I would urge each one of you to "complain" to RT about this. One or two can be dismissed.............30-40.....not so much. It will really help them in the end. One of the problems with having outside manufacturing sources (and no, it's not just a China thing) is that sometimes the vendor will make a change in material spec or process method, sometimes innocently or not, and as the marketing entity you get blind sided. If that's the case here the guys at RT need the heads up now rather than later.
deflector.JPG

All this talk of warping of deflectors had me questioning if this was happening to mine as well, even though it appears only happening with the Bull. I pulled mine apart and looked and the deflector is unaltered.

20190726_131025.jpg

Does anyone know if the 700 deflector and the Stampede are the same? The RT website doesn't offer a replacement deflector for the Stampede, only the 680/700 and 340...

Anyone that has had troubles with warped deflectors, did you notice it after higher temp usage, like 500+? or was the warping apparent at sub 300s as well?

@Uncle Bob I should've been more specific I guess. I meant the Rt700 Bull deflectors being old stock... but I see after revisiting that page, that the reviews for the updated deflector are from almost a year ago. So you may be on to something about most of ours being newer Bulls.
Screenshot_20190726-175931.png
Screenshot_20190726-175913.png

Last edited:
I did do a 600F seer. But I only noticed this after 4 cooks so can't say what caused mine to warp.

View attachment 880

Was replacing the aluminum foil on the drip tray after the 3rd cook. When I took the drip tray out, I noticed something didn't look right. The deflector shield was warped, see picture.

Is this a problem? Since this defects heat, will this now deflect heat more to one side than the other?

Before I decide whether to contact Rec Tec or not, just wanted to check and see if others have had this issue and if it is still ok to use. If it's ok and doesn't affect anything, then I'm good. Thanks...
I have had the exact same thing happened I called RECTEC and he told me it is fairly common but it seems like it’s getting worse I’m not really satisfied right now with their customer service I would like for them to send me a new one and see if this happens again I spent a lot of hard earned money and did a lot of research before I bought this grillAnd if it is just a thing that happens I can deal with that but it’s to the point where it’s touching and warping so bad that my drip pan is not draining the grease

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back