Warped Deflector Shield

Mine warped first cook, ribs still great, family raves about butt and chicken so I "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn"

"Smok'em if Ya Gott'em"

I heard of this on Tragers. I’m curious why Rec Tec didn’t put creases along the surface of the shield to keep it from twisting. It could be a solution if you’re handy.

Cleaned out the fire pot yesterday and noticed my deflector is warped as well. Hasn’t pushed up on the tray yet, so I’m not too concerned, long as it doesn’t progressively get worse.

View attachment 880

Was replacing the aluminum foil on the drip tray after the 3rd cook. When I took the drip tray out, I noticed something didn't look right. The deflector shield was warped, see picture.

Is this a problem? Since this defects heat, will this now deflect heat more to one side than the other?

Before I decide whether to contact Rec Tec or not, just wanted to check and see if others have had this issue and if it is still ok to use. If it's ok and doesn't affect anything, then I'm good. Thanks...

Mine also, that said make's no difference in the cooking.. so I am OK..

Mine also, that said make's no difference in the cooking.. so I am OK..

I bought a heavy D and wish I ha my $$ back... Heat flowes front to back rather cumming out both sides. I think poor heat distribution... just me...

Had mine just over a week and when cooking my turkeys on Thanksgiving I noticed my deflector is warped and had pushed my drip pan up so it was touching the grates in the front left side. Made a small greasy mess that I cleaned up. When cleaning it today the deflector is still warped but not as bad. I reinstalled it and have some ribs on now so we will see how it goes. Also noticed the lens for my light is cracked half way through. Disappointed, but hoping the deflector won’t affect my cooks. Gonna contact Rec Tec this week probably.

6yr warranty covers both. Though frustrating you can still have them replaced. Not sure of they found a fix or corrected the warp yet, mines still warped too, just haven't ask for replacement. Doesn't help if they send the same thing back out.

Rec Tec called after I emailed them a video Monday last week, showing what we thought was the problem, and they mailed me a new heat deflector. It finally arrived yesterday and I installed it right away and started the grill up. Same problem, drip tray started wobbling/lifting at about 275* and only got worse as the temp was raised. So it appears it may be my drip tray and not my heat deflector. Anyways, I emailed them an updated video and am hoping to get it fixed soon. This sucks. The guy on the phone last week (Jamie?) was super nice though. Asked about any other problems or concerns I had and discussed them with me. Hopefully I get it all squared away sooner rather than later. My regular spice bundle, holiday spice bundle and large shelf are on the way and I’m ready to try them out.

Resurrecting this old thread to see if there have been any developments on this warping business. I have a RT-340 Trailblazer and the original deflector warped. Replaced it several months ago with the model they were selling as a the replacement part and it warped after only 2-3 cooks. Grill is nearly unusable for basic "grilling" of burgers, brats, etc., since warping offsets the grease pan so much grease doesn't drain, dangerous flame-ups after opening, and erratic temp probe operation. Beyond spending $125 for the Heavy D to replace a part that should have worked correctly in the first place, any creative home-made options, workarounds, etc.? Thanks for your time/help-

This would be for a Bull RT-700...but it's one of the few "homemade fixes I've seen. Just some Lowe's plate steel to weight it into shape...
Screenshot_20200426-214547.png

Checked mine the other day and it is warped. Tried emailing RT over the weekend and the emails got kicked back saying the inbox is under maintenance.
Was thinking of the Heavy D until I saw the above comment. Maybe it is installed wrong like the one gent...

I have had my Stampede since Feb and it was warped after 5 users. Glad you ran the temp check, but that is pretty much what I figured.
Best Greg

I have been using my RT680 for over 2 years,2-3 times a week year round. Never had any warpage of any parts. I did, however replace the diffuser with a Heavy D recently. Produces good smoke for 2-3 hours regardless of temp. Doesn't seem to affect set vs. actual temps. Got mine from the Smoke Daddy eBay store for under 100$ and free shipping.

View attachment 880

Was replacing the aluminum foil on the drip tray after the 3rd cook. When I took the drip tray out, I noticed something didn't look right. The deflector shield was warped, see picture.

Is this a problem? Since this defects heat, will this now deflect heat more to one side than the other?

Before I decide whether to contact Rec Tec or not, just wanted to check and see if others have had this issue and if it is still ok to use. If it's ok and doesn't affect anything, then I'm good. Thanks...
I was just about to post the exact same thing. My deflector shield warped the same way. I'm calling Rec Tec tomorrow for a new one. It shouldn't warp. Period.

Question is whether the new one will do the same thing. I ordered the "new model" about 6 months ago and it warped after a couple of grills too. The original had warped to a point of about a 1" difference side to side. The new about 3/4". Both are enough to "tip" the grease pan sitting on top so that it doesn't decline normally towards the grease channel.

I was just about to post the exact same thing. My deflector shield warped the same way. I'm calling Rec Tec tomorrow for a new one. It shouldn't warp. Period.

Question is whether the new one will do the same thing. I ordered the "new model" about 6 months ago and it warped after a couple of grills too. The original had warped to a point of about a 1" difference side to side. The new about 3/4". Both are enough to "tip" the grease pan sitting on top so that it doesn't decline normally towards the grease channel.
The same. The grease pools on the pan.

the heavy D issue with the flow is that its installed wrong. some other guys used bricks to correct the height of the heavy D - but he also had installed wrong.

Got my 680 just before the 700 came out. Pic shows my original deflector. Completely boxed in on top. This almost certainly helps to resist warpage. Pics that I have seen posted of the warped deflectors do not have boxed tops. Seems like a downgrade from the part on the 680.

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_115611.jpg
    IMG_20200428_115611.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 134

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back