water pan

Anyone use a water pan on longer cooks w/ leaner cuts?
@Epsmith19 ...so this is just my personal opinion. I was used to a stick/chip smoker with water pan... And I got very used to the taste and moisture in that style of cooking. After switching to the RT 700, I've found it's a whole new style of cooking. Alot of cooks seem dry on the outside (by looks) but are actually very moist on the Inside. When experimenting early on, I did try a water pan and it worked. However, it definitely extended the stall time on the pork butt I was smoking. (Took alot longer than usual) I thought that maybe it was the meat itself, but after researching the vast interwebs it appeared others had the same result. After that I really haven't used one and actually have learned alot about using the RecTec. I probably won't personally use one again, but to each his own and others may have had totally different results. Just my experience with the convection style over my old setup.

Anyone use a water pan on longer cooks w/ leaner cuts?

I don't think that you need it. It's my understanding that the purpose of a water pan is as a heat sink but of course it does add some steam. I used one frequently on the BGE before I got a Digi Q

I don't think that you need it. It's my understanding that the purpose of a water pan is as a heat sink but of course it does add some steam. I used one frequently on the BGE before I got a Digi Q
Why would u need a water pan in a bge i had one for many many years and i never used a water pan its its a ceramic cooker all my food came out so moist every time

Unless you were cooking with a bad seal on the bge i never had dry food and needed to add any moisture to bge

With my bfg i have used a waterpan but most of the time i dont find the need to do so

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back