Bull What I learned today and some pulled pork.

Buckeye smoker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So a side note: RecTec made right the last of my problems with the grill today.
(none of their doing) can't say enough about their customer service.

Today I learned while on the phone with them (RT) that:
  1. Water pans are indeed fine to use at the individuals' choice.
  2. Water pans are great, but also contribute to "stall time"
  3. Stall time is (despite all the myths) The meat sweating, and the moisture evaporates and cools the meat just like sweat cools you after cutting the lawn on a hot day. (I'd experienced stalls before but this one lasted awhile) The stall is when a large cut of meat like a pork butt or beef brisket is cooking, and the internal temperature of the meat just seems to “stall” or plateau around 155-170°f for hours. from 2-6hrs!!
My lesson was that even though I like my water pan in this case, it was detrimental in getting pork up to temp (201° internal).
I also learned that my smoke tube absolutely works and did add more smoke flavor and penetration to the meat. I learned that the way to battle "stall" is to wrap the pork but in aluminum foil tightly with a little water inside when it gets close to normal stall out temps.

And finally I learned that a 8lb+ pork butt takes about 14+ plus hours ... here's some pics- Black Swamp Style !...haha...turned out very good.
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190629003334116.jpg
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190629004035872.jpg

That was a great write up and the end product looks good enough to ...well.... EAT!

Really though...that was a great explanation of what goes on and really get you to thinking on how to prepare and plan the cooks of the future. Aewsome Job!

That was a great write up and the end product looks good enough to ...well.... EAT!

Really though...that was a great explanation of what goes on and really get you to thinking on how to prepare and plan the cooks of the future. Aewsome Job!
And for those using the app... That temp chart is WAY more handy than you'd think for logging data for your next cook. It allows you to see the data for temp set, actual temp, and the 2probes. So basically you can see all the flux in your grill's process live as it happens. Example I know it takes 8mins for my aRT 700 to get to 225° at least in the low 90's..and also just how long I've been cooking as well as how long my "stall lasted and at what temp. Take a in-depth look at that section if you haven't very handy. You can monitor progress at intervals from 30secs to 30mins. And it's touch screen 2finger expandable vertical (temp) and horizontal (time) if you tap a star it tells you temp at that moment.

Screenshot_20190628-100429.png
Screenshot_20190628-100416.png

Last edited:
@art425 I have a smart phone so I am able to screenshot it...I haven't seen anything for saving or downloading it...might be a good suggestion for RecTec* oh and it's "live" so it is gone after you shutoff the smoker*

Last edited:
@Buckeye smoker that is great info to have. I could definitely see where having that info for logging purposes and planning cooks to see how when i try something new I can have data to back and look at.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back