What steak knives do you use?

Eddy

Premium Member!
Premium Member
I on the hunt for a good steak knife set to replace my basic set that was purchased at Target years ago. I am not against spending a bit of money on a set but don't really want to break the bank either - something under $250 would be nice.

What steak knife do you use?

@Eddy we're using some set the wife and I received as a wedding gift. They were decent when we got them but have really started to lose their edge recently.

I have been on a kick recently to upgrade or add to our knife collection and just recently purchased (due to be delivered today in fact) a Mercer Renaissance flexible boning knife as well as a Mercer Millennia 14-Inch Granton Edge Slicer.

Steak knives are next on my list and am going to either get some Mercer Genesis steak knives or Victorinox serrated steak knife set as I've seen many good reviews about the Victorinox brand as well.

Mike, you'll love how the long granton slicer works. Gives terrific control of thickness of cut and is ideal for big slices like on a full brisket.

How about doing a report on the boning knife when you get a chance to put it through it's paces. I've seen others touted on other forums that are quite a bit less expensive from reputable manufacturers, but the full length tang through the handle makes that one look like a quality piece.

Mike, you'll love how the long granton slicer works. Gives terrific control of thickness of cut and is ideal for big slices like on a full brisket.

How about doing a report on the boning knife when you get a chance to put it through it's paces. I've seen others touted on other forums that are quite a bit less expensive from reputable manufacturers, but the full length tang through the handle makes that one look like a quality piece.
I'll be sure to post something on here for sure about the knives.

I'll actually be using the boning knife tonight to prep my first brisket, which will be hitting the grill early tomorrow morning. I'm pretty excited.

@NU2SMOKE both knifes are amazing and ridiculously sharp. Well worth the money and I fully intend on buying a set of Mercer steak knifes very soon.

Would HIGHLY recommend.

Thank you for the update @Mike. My father was a butcher and when he passed away 18 years ago, I inherited all of his knives he used at work including his boning knife. I have kept it all these years sharp as hell but it is time to get a new one.

It's been a while for this thread, and with only a couple recommendations, I'm curious if anyone else could chime in. I'm prepping for my birthday gift, 4 months from now, LOL. I have a friend that swears by cutco. Another says wusthoff is the way to go. I'm still using my Chicago cutlery, it gets it done, but not pretty unless freshly sharpened. Would really love a set of steak knives, along with matching prep, pairing, and slicer knives the same brand. I'm leaning towards cutco, but they are high $$$$ for the set I'd prefer....HELP!

It's been a while for this thread, and with only a couple recommendations, I'm curious if anyone else could chime in. I'm prepping for my birthday gift, 4 months from now, LOL. I have a friend that swears by cutco. Another says wusthoff is the way to go. I'm still using my Chicago cutlery, it gets it done, but not pretty unless freshly sharpened. Would really love a set of steak knives, along with matching prep, pairing, and slicer knives the same brand. I'm leaning towards cutco, but they are high $$$$ for the set I'd prefer....HELP!

It sounds like you're interested in other knives more so than the "steak knife" style. We each have our preferences so opinions are going to differ widely based on experience. That being said, for carving, trimming, slicing, dicing, and so on I have an affinity for Wusthof knives when they're on sale or someone is offering a good deal on a "kit" of multiple knife shapes as a clearance deal. They are made from high quality stainless steel and hold an edge very well. The Cutco stuff is well made but you pay a premium because they're sold through a "pyramid scheme" method and aren't offered on sale. The kicker for them is lifetime sharpening service, which has value as long as the cost of shipping and the loss of use time doesn't phase you/is a reasonable trade off. In general terms I would recommend a boning knife and a granton blade carving knife as additions to a serious cook's arsenal beyond the typical paring and slicing knives. The boning knife is, as it's name implies, great for boning (e.g. removing a pork shoulder bone if that's what you want to do), but also does a better job (greater control) if removing poultry bones from raw meat, or trimming fat from a brisket or ribs, or trimming a rack of ribs to St. Louis style, and so on. Hard to explain why it works better, but once you experience it you understand. The granton edge has less drag, and again is an experience thing, that helps in controlling thickness of slicing such as serving brisket, roast beef, corned beef, pastrami, etc. Well, unless you cave and buy a deli style slicer...…..:)

Thanks Uncle Bob. You are correct, I want good steak knives, but more interested in knives I will use to prep or carve. I really want a matching set, that I can pull a pairing, slicing, or carving knive from the same block as nice, heavy steak knives. A couple years ago, my wife bought me a set of steak knives from Longhorn Steakhouse for Father's Day. I love them because they are heavy and not flimsy....(compared to our Chicago cutlery). But damnit, I'm OCD about some things and just want a matching set. A matching set that will hold an edge, the steak knives have the right grip and weight(heavy handle), and will cut the brisket pretty.

I hear ya, that OCD stuff can hold ya back. Personally I don't think I'm OCD, but it does bother me that those letters aren't in the proper alphabetical order...………………...

Here's a pic of a set of Wusthof knives I bought earlier this year that were on a clearance special. I've been using some nice quality Henkels knives from a block set for a number of years but when I started using these Wusthofs the balance and operating feel was so much better. I didn't realize how much of a difference there could be. The paring and chef knives are a joy. The thin blade carving knife next to the chef knife has the granton scallops on it and is really good for slicing raw meat such as when I prepare jerky. I have another longer blade with a rounded tip and the granton scallops for carving cooked brisket as the longer blade works better through a slab of meat that's often 8-9 inches wide. It's all about control as you stroke through the hunk 'o meat. Back to that set, the shears are nice when breaking down poultry, and the "sharpener" is good for daily maintenance of edge burrs, though it's not actually sharpening. Rather than limit myself to a set of matching steak knives I'd look/shop for something that feels good to the hand and has a quality blade even if it doesn't match the processing knives. Just some ideas to provoke thought for you...….....
wusthof knives.JPG

Cutco serrated steak knives for sure. Unserrated knives' edges get wrecked cutting on your average plates (I'd never use one for a cutting board).

And maybe consider buying a better grade of beef if it's that hard to cut.

Just my 2¢.

Around five years ago, my wife and I actually had the local area Cutco rep knock on our door unexpectedly (one of my wife’s friends told the rep to drop by one evening). Because my wife’s friend spoke so highly of the brand, we took the plunge and purchased a Cutco set...quite frankly, it has served us well.

One observation on Cutco, which has nothing to do with the quality of the knives and may be specific to only my area....the Cutco reps tend to be college students, so “here’s my card, call if you need anything” only seems to last for about a year or so. In five years, we are on our third representative...not saying that is bad, but it is an issue when you contact the number on the card, leave a message, and don’t get a call back, so you have to call corporate, only to find out you have a new representative.

I have a set of the Cutco steak knives. I have had them for a little over a year now and they seem to be working just as good now as when they were new. They are quite sharp. I also have their boning knife and that's a good knife too. I use that one a lot and have had to hone it a few times, which surprised me, since it only sees raw meat and an occasional bone scalp, or two.

I have sharpened it myself, though I might send it off for them to sharpen it and see how that works. I have an older Chicago knife boning knife I can use while the Cutco is out. They do seem to be pretty pricy though. Victorinox are also great knives. I have a serrated knife of theirs and it is the best serrated knife I have used. The handle is very light and has a cheaper feel to it, but top knotch blade.

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Pro...eakPizzaKnives?ScrollPosition=0&maxResults=30

Another vote for Cutco knives. My grandma had some cutco knives that were always the ones we’d use when you needed a “good” knife. In college I sold them for awhile to earn a little extra cash and got hooked on them. Still have my set from then and have added on with more pieces Over the years. They are pretty damn nice and the warranty is amazing. My wife found a set of 1970’s cutco steak knives at an antique store while on vacation. One of them cracked at the handle, so we sent it in thinking they’d send us a new version. To our surprise they sent us a new old stock of the pattern we had! There are lots of great choices for knives but I have personally seen the cutco factory in Olean, NY, had excellent CS, and have loved having them over the years!

My wife bought Cutco sets years ago. Excellent knives. Including the kitchen knives. I just bought her a Shun Dual Core Santoku for Christmas.

table-knife.jpg

Well, for me, the debate is over...for now. Santa and my wife teamed up to get me the 7 piece Wusthof gourmet knives that come in a block. I used them on christmas day for our prime rib dinner and they were excellent! This didnt come with steak knives, but they are on the way.

WÜSTHOF Gourmet Seven Piece Mobile Block Set | 7-Piece German Knife Set | Precise Laser Cut High Carbon Stainless Steel Kitchen Knife Set with 6 Slot Wood Block - Model 8940 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C6FYLNE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_IZLbEbWFHCS5F

Thanks Uncle Bob. You are correct, I want good steak knives, but more interested in knives I will use to prep or carve. I really want a matching set, that I can pull a pairing, slicing, or carving knive from the same block as nice, heavy steak knives. A couple years ago, my wife bought me a set of steak knives from Longhorn Steakhouse for Father's Day. I love them because they are heavy and not flimsy....(compared to our Chicago cutlery). But damnit, I'm OCD about some things and just want a matching set. A matching set that will hold an edge, the steak knives have the right grip and weight(heavy handle), and will cut the brisket pretty.
Check out AG Russell knives. I think that they are temporarily out of stock but I love mine almost as much as I love my Kai knives.

A few years back my husband got lucky enough to get a chance to go to the Shot Show and while there he found a set of Santa Fe Stoneworks Damascus steak knives on sale at half off. Beuatiful knives and they have not needed to be sharpened yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back