Trailblazer What to put on hot handles

My experience is similar to Mike's with the Stampede, though at the high temp they did get uncomfortable if held for more than a couple seconds. At 2-400 no issue. Could be the Trailblazer being smaller there's more "heat sinking" toward the handles. There have been several articles on here about using the lavalock high temp gasket material to seal the lid and other things. You could get some of that, cut a pad for under the handle base, and that should give you a decent thermal barrier. The only change you may have to do is get longer screws if the originals won't take the pad thickness.

My experience is similar to Mike's with the Stampede, though at the high temp they did get uncomfortable if held for more than a couple seconds. At 2-400 no issue. Could be the Trailblazer being smaller there's more "heat sinking" toward the handles. There have been several articles on here about using the lavalock high temp gasket material to seal the lid and other things. You could get some of that, cut a pad for under the handle base, and that should give you a decent thermal barrier. The only change you may have to do is get longer screws if the originals won't take the pad thickness.
On my Rec Tec Bull I hang a towel from the bull ring. I use to to clean up messes, hands, etc while I'm cooking.

I suppose you could hang one off either grab handle on the RecTec Trailblazer and use the towel to open and close the lid when the handles get to hot. Wouldn't cost anything but the cost of the towel that you probably have laying around anyways.

Thanks, everyone. :) I think the Trailblazer is a lot "thinner" therefore heat is transferred to the handles. What I am doing, once I turn it to 400 degrees and higher, is simply to use my heat resistant glove. It's really no big deal, it's just putting it on and off each time I open the grill. And yes, I also use a towel from what we called as kids from "the rag bag". Happy 4th to all! :)

Here in SC the handles do get hot without the grill even working. In fact I just uncovered my RECTEC Stampede to change the drip foil and found the grates to be extremely hot. It might be the external temperature rather than the grill. I’ve found with the gas grill a oven mitt is needed to open the grill before lighting it. By the way both are covered, setting in the sun.

Here in SC the handles do get hot without the grill even working. In fact I just uncovered my RECTEC Stampede to change the drip foil and found the grates to be extremely hot. It might be the external temperature rather than the grill. I’ve found with the gas grill a oven mitt is needed to open the grill before lighting it. By the way both are covered, setting in the sun.
Damn and I though it was hot here in Florida ...???

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back