Wind temp issues

Leumas

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Has anyone had success with the higher winds we are seeing the next couple days? Have a couple turkeys to do and it took a long time to warm my bull up today so trying to plan for tomorrow.
I've thought about upping the feed rate but hate to tweak it to much.
Any suggestions?

I have never adjusted my feed rate on my 680. That said I also find wind has effected my cooks more than colder temps. I live in NJ so do get some pretty cold days and a lot of windy days as well. Wind for me usually means a longer cook with the pit running higher temps to maintain the set temp. I know this is not a helpful response.

When I lived in Spokane, I put fire brick in my Treager. I would give it some thermal mass and keep the temp regulated much better in the cold and wind. Would also help my grill to get and maintain a higher temperature in the winter. I am now in Arizona with a much better RecTec Stampede. Still gets a bit cold here in the winter so I will be placing some fire bricks in it. I find that it is hard to get to above 450 degrees when the temperatures get into the 50’s. As a bonus, the fire brick helps reduce my pellet consumption.

Like @cookingjnj, I've found wind effects my temps much more than colder temps. I know when I've used the welding blanket over my grill it's pretty much made the Rec Tec Bull bullet proof in all weather.

I'm strongly thinking about getting the Rec Tec Blanket.

Unless you are smoking on LO, you shouldn't have to adjust the feed rate.

I don't have a lot of experience yet, but on my RT-590 I have found that cold and wind can result in a hot spot over the fire pot, which makes sense since it would need to burn hotter. I have also seen wind increase cook times. But overall, not too much trouble holding temps, so long as it's under 400.

When I lived in Spokane, I put fire brick in my Treager. I would give it some thermal mass and keep the temp regulated much better in the cold and wind. Would also help my grill to get and maintain a higher temperature in the winter. I am now in Arizona with a much better RecTec Stampede. Still gets a bit cold here in the winter so I will be placing some fire bricks in it. I find that it is hard to get to above 450 degrees when the temperatures get into the 50’s. As a bonus, the fire brick helps reduce my pellet consumption.

This commentary (re: thermal mass) makes a lot of sense because the wind is removing surface heat in the metal housing that needs to be replaced. People get a bit confused by the concept of "wind chill", which is more of an affect on humans because of evaporation of skin fluid. In the case of the metal box there's no evaporation in play, but there is thermal mass/reheat cycling. For some that will seem a difference without distinction, but the corrective action is where it matters. The fire brick, in this case, releases additional stored heat to aid the fuel supply in more readily maintaining internal housing temp. Likewise, if you were to devise a windbreak of some sort you could also help the smoker housing retain more heat. The blanket is one way, but there would be others.

Not to be an ass...but as a short term fix, try moving the grill to the least windy,yet vented location you have...it's just a one day cook as far as hassle goes. Pretty windy here at the moment too.

Like @cookingjnj, I've found wind effects my temps much more than colder temps. I know when I've used the welding blanket over my grill it's pretty much made the Rec Tec Bull bullet proof in all weather.

I'm strongly thinking about getting the Rec Tec Blanket.

Welding blanket is better than nothing and a much more economical solution. I ended up getting the Blanket and don't regret it at all - it gets a ton of use. Wind does still seem to suck the heat off it. Luckily, I can set the grill right inside my pole barn and as long as the wind is the right direction, just crack the door a bit.

From about 10 minutes ago.... want to guess what's in there? :D

1574953111398.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back