Wood Chunks or Chips on Deflector

HackintheBull

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I did not see a specific thread for this so i wanted to ask. Has anyone had success with putting wood chunks or chips on the deflector plate while cooking for added flavor? My RT700 is doing just fine for most cooks, but i was thinking about adding some more Post Oak or Hickory smoke for Brisket and Beef Ribs. Anyway, just wondering if any of you have tried this and what kind of success you had?

I did it once a half dozen or so cooks ago. 2 or 3 chunks of apple or whatever I was using. It helped with smoke for an hour or two. I haven't done it since. I just run at LO for a while to set in the smoke, then step up a bit.

And there's the understanding of what a chunk vs a chip is. There's only about an inch clearance from the top of the deflector over the fire pot, to the underside of the drip pan, so "chunk" would need to be a smaller/thinner profile. I've done chips, both in an iron container and just lying free on the deflector. As roanie says, they only last for a comparatively short duration. In the iron container they barely got charred lightly so probably didn't do much. It ups the smoke some, but I suspect it also impacts the temp to some degree or other, so might be a wash in the final analysis. Again though, we're back to that taste thing. How much is enough, how much is too little/much. Each person brings their own experiences to the conversation that don't necessarily compare equally to those of the questioner.

As UB pointed out, there's not a lot of room for a big chunk on the deflector. I had to fish around in the bag of chunk wood I have for a smaller piece.

I put the wood directly on the deflector and it seemed to give additional smoke. But, I'm growing to like the cleaner smoke flavor from the pellets as opposed to my results on all the other bbqs I have used. Even on LO, the pellets burn pretty clean and give a blue smoke. I could never get a komado to burn as clean, consistently, at the lower temps and it becomes it's worst at the lowest temps. The beauty of a pellet grill is the fire size varies to hold selected pit temperature, but the fire is burning at good temperatures for smoking pretty much the whole time when at traditional bbq pit temps (250F and below). I will say that this changes with a pellet bbq as you go to higher than traditional bbq temps and smoke starts to get lighter than most of us would like when in the 300+ range. In the 300+ range, I can get consistently good smoke from the komado and even up around 400F. That makes for some hot a fast bbq with good smoke that you see the pros doing on tv.

I put chips in every so many inches with my pellets, when using my smoke tube.
I have the smoke tube but keeping it going is a problem. Sometimes it burns compleatly sometimes goes out after a short while. I keep pellets in my hopper all the time and never had a problem with moisture but keep smoke tube pellets inside the house so their dry. Any ideas.

I have the smoke tube but keeping it going is a problem. Sometimes it burns compleatly sometimes goes out after a short while. I keep pellets in my hopper all the time and never had a problem with moisture but keep smoke tube pellets inside the house so their dry. Any ideas.
I only had that happen once, and my problem was I rushed it...as in, I didn't let the smoke tube preburn long enough before puting it in the smoker.
I try to light it and keep it flaming for about as long as I setup/clean/ preheat the smoker.

I did not see a specific thread for this so i wanted to ask. Has anyone had success with putting wood chunks or chips on the deflector plate while cooking for added flavor? My RT700 is doing just fine for most cooks, but i was thinking about adding some more Post Oak or Hickory smoke for Brisket and Beef Ribs. Anyway, just wondering if any of you have tried this and what kind of success you had?
I have done just that on my bull 700. I put two chunks of hickory directly on the deflector plate and it gave me a smoke flavor that I absolutely love. My wife however doesn't care for that much smoke, so the battle continues.?

I have several of those and had pretty good results on just my old vermont castings gas grill getting smoke. So they are definitely recommended in general by me. They also do a pretty darn good job for cold smoking with minimal heat.

Just ordered my RT-700 and it'll be here Friday, so I am curious to see how other people incorporate their smoker tubes and Smoke Daddy in the process.

I read something a while back about putting the pellets in the microwave for a few minutes before putting them in the smoking tube. That's supposed to make sure they are completely dry and help with getting them to burn a bit better.

I read something a while back about putting the pellets in the microwave for a few minutes before putting them in the smoking tube. That's supposed to make sure they are completely dry and help with getting them to burn a bit better.
I've seen that also, I don't think it can hurt anything (unless of course you over Nuke them and they burn) But, I'm guessing the problem is still moisture getting to the pellets is: elevation, humidity ,storage of , or preburn time etc....
I even alternate wood chips between pellets and have mine keep burning..But,if it safely helps go for it!

I've used the smoke tube with good success. Just be sure to light it good with a torch and it'll keep burning. There's also a pellet tray that will last longer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back