Would you pay $40 lb for local fresh prime ribeye?

So we have a new Italian market opening up the road. They posted this pic on their FP page and the price is $38.99 lb for Prime Ribeye.

My question is.. would you pay this kind of $$ based on the grade and looks? It's about double what I think (or really want to pay) it should be but a local market like this I would support if it is really worth it.

Not sure how much the fresh sausage is. Have to take a ride up the road when I have a minute. They are in a soft opening right now but seems stocked from the pics I have seen.

View attachment 17994
No

I tried Uber priced ribeyes from a local meat store after the owner talked about aging etc. They were great but at half the price, Costco prime ribeyes were the better deal. I also aged an entire rib for 42 days in a spare fridge to replicate the expensive steaks. Tasty, but I lost the use of my fridge for 42 days and there was a lot of waste. I stick with Costco prime. Seems like it’s the best value to me.
Tommy:
You can take a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?

So I made it in today (grand opening).. Ended up ordering Italian sandwiches which were good. Had one American version and one Italian version (peppers, fresh mozz, balsamic etc.) They were good but we wanted the French dip but the roast beef made on site was already gone for the day. We will go back but likely hold off on the steaks for now.

The ribeyes were not in the case.

The strip steaks were $35.99 lb.

Sausage (either variety hot/sweet) $6.99 lb

Some pork chops (never heard of either one of these) $17.99 & $12.99 lb

Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 5.14.21 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 5.15.46 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 5.20.32 PM.png

So I made it in today (grand opening).. Ended up ordering Italian sandwiches which were good. Had one American version and one Italian version (peppers, fresh mozz, balsamic etc.) They were good but we wanted the French dip but the roast beef made on site was already gone for the day. We will go back but likely hold off on the steaks for now.

The ribeyes were not in the case.

The strip steaks were $35.99 lb.

Sausage (either variety hot/sweet) $6.99 lb

Some pork chops (never heard of either one of these) $17.99 & $12.99 lb

View attachment 18013
View attachment 18014
View attachment 18015
Lawdy ! $35.99 for New Yorks ? :eek:

1668954768544.jpeg

Last edited:
I can get prime ribeye at Costco for $15.99. You would think that at $38.99 he would at least trim them tight and string tie the results. What price on the strips next to the ribeyes?

Why is my Costco always $24+? I’m jealous.

I’d only pay $40 for prime ribeye if I couldn’t find ribeye cheaper. I generally don’t think the crazy-marbled ribeyes taste significantly better than a regular ribeye with decent marbling. Paying more than prime ribeye is often more about the appearance/rareness of it than the actual flavor. X100 for that Japanese Wagyu etc variants.

To me, these are just a way to justify a crazy price. Like paying $000s for a bottle of whiskey or wine when the $90 bottles are just as good.

Its a local butcher, so there is no way they can bulk price like the big boy shops. We have a local shop and his prime rib roast will be $28/lb this year for the holidays, prime grade. So our 3 bone prime rib this Christmas will run about $180.00

Can I get it cheaper at Costco, yes. Personally I like supporting the local guys as long as their product is good. Support local ends as soon as the costco product surpasses the local product, so it needs to exceed.

My local guy has very good product, the roast is always trimmed and trussed, and they will give me a nice 3 bone roast from the chuck end...always delicious. Local butcher shops are a dying breed because of the big boys; plus who doesnt like having a "meat guy?'"

My wife/GI Doctor hate me eating red meat these days (witches all of them), so when I fire up the grill to sear some bovine, I want it to be an amazing steak, if thats an extra buck, so be it. Aint taking all the money with me and these nice prime steaks will ensure I get there sooner vs later.

I would say try one, and see how it is, might be surprised. Those pork chops look amazing as well!

Its a local butcher, so there is no way they can bulk price like the big boy shops. We have a local shop and his prime rib roast will be $28/lb this year for the holidays, prime grade.

Can I get it cheaper at Costco, yes. Personally I like supporting the local guys as long as their product is good. My local guy has very good product, the roast is always trimmed and trussed, and they will give me a nice 3 bone roast from the chuck end...always delicious. Local butcher shows is a dying breed because of the big boys.

My wife/GI Doctor hate me eating red meat these days (witches all of them), so when I fire up the grill to sear some bovine, I want it to be an amazing steak, if thats an extra buck, so be it. Aint taking all the money with me and these nice prime steaks will ensure I get there sooner vs later.

I would say try one, and see how it is, might be surprised. Those pork chops look amazing as well!

I agree on all points and I might try them at least once and see for myself.. likely those pork chops will be first!

If I didn't have 3X refrigerator-freezers & 1X small stand alone freezer full for just the 2 of us, I would have grabbed something yesterday when we were there.

Still working on last years goodies from the holiday sales.. I know.. time to get going! I have a hard time passing up deals as I see them :rolleyes:.

I agree on all points and I might try them at least once and see for myself.. likely those pork chops will be first!

If I didn't have 3X refrigerator-freezers & 1X small stand alone freezer full for just the 2 of us, I would have grabbed something yesterday when we were there.

Still working on last years goodies from the holiday sales.. I know.. time to get going! I have a hard time passing up deals as I see them :rolleyes:.
Post some photos of those chops if you go that way. Look delicious

Speaking of pork chops, these chops along with the picana, inside skirt steak, and tri-tip from Wild Fork never disappoint. Linkey

For sure.. that was one of my stops yesterday.. had to use my $10 off November coupon before it expired.

Got a nice set of Prime beef short ribs :).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back