WOW, this is a great way to cook bacon!

Baumer

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I picked up a slab of thick cut applewood bacon the other day.... I really wanted to give my Bull a shot at it without using the griddle.. I placed the bacon strips on my cookie sheet with a raised mesh insert and smoked it at 250 for a few hrs... Man, It is the best tasting bacon I’ve ever had !! Here’s the picture of it laid out on my Bull with some lasagna ?... Best Regards to all, El

Attachments

• 2D68314E-07A6-4AD5-8C52-2E1C2CCF8F9C.jpeg
    2D68314E-07A6-4AD5-8C52-2E1C2CCF8F9C.jpeg
    880.9 KB · Views: 439
That DOES look Good! Glad it’s almost time for breakfast here!
After smoking for that long, is it fully cooked, or do you finish it in a pan when ready to eat?

You know... I really don’t remember, I just took a peak every so often until the fat looked like I wanted it...Now a few days later, I just reheat it in a pan over our stove and then scramble a few eggs in the same pan using the bacon grease.. It’s Simple & really tasty , Best Regards El

Looks very tasty! And it's cool that it can stay fresh for several more days to use it in the fried eggs, as you gave an example. Could someone please write a more accurate way to prepare such bacon?

I've done this 3 times now. Same as Baumer, at 250, and pulled when it looks done to my liking. I'd suggest pulling slightly before as it tends to crisp up a little more as it cools. I just reheat in microwave on low/med.

I've sprinkled some rub on each batch. Have used RecTec's so far - Durty Gurl, Competition, and Heffer dust. Heffer Dust has been the best, but it might be due to just getting better at judging "doneness". The Competition rub burned some - too much sugar, I think. I'll have to try the Durty Gurl again because it was the first batch.

Looks great, I will pick up some thick slice bacon from Costco my next visit and give it a go!
Best Greg

What type of pellets for bacon? Apple? Hickory?

Thanks for this... i will be doing this in the morning!

Hey Spartanhuntr, I just used the rec tec blend... nothing special ,but if you want more smoke try to use just the low heavy smoke setting for an hour or so , Regards Baumer

Just did the pork belly burnt ends last night. Flavor was amazing. Only issue was that some of them were tender and juicy but others turned out kind of chewy and dry. Better, more consistent butchering on my part would probably help that.

Family loved them tho, and I'll be doing it again

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back