09/11/2001

It is in the “Lounge” area. No dog in this fight, but should the thread really be shut down because one person disagrees?
Had the thread been flagged from the first post, saying hey no politics - I think that would be a more genuine objection.
I get my politics elsewhere, it’s not what I come here for, but if the admin @Mike allows it then the rest of us can choose to read it or ignore it.
I agree wholeheartedly! This thread should NOT be shut down, nor should anyone who posted in it be subject to any criticism.

My post was not meant as an “objection,” nor was it meant to suggest that the thread be shut down. If that’s how it came across, that was not my intent. I simply wanted to say, as I did, that I have a different opinion but defend everyone’s right to have their own. And, that I was not inviting further discussion on MY opinion. Nothing more.

Last edited:
Some hypothetical situations here… consider that someone may have a son-in-law that was in the Marines, working in a tech role on an Marine Air Base in the low country that will remain unnamed. That individual was recognized for his work until.. his weight reached the MC ceiling for his height. In or out, so now he is working as a contractor in the same /similar job making 3x what he made in the Corp.

Another hypothetical situation, someone may have a high speed/low drag son that is committed to 4 years AD and 4 years Reserve duty to cover the tuition agreement (64k a year) for their education. Said individual is so committed to what they are assigned to that he wants to stay “after shift’ to learn more about the process. The result is that ‘you need to go home,’so he runs 7 miles, no typo, Seven miles a day to deal with the boredom. Could the people that defend your freedom be better engauged?

My son is a veteran as well "US Army Infantry 10th Mountain Division" and I am "very proud" of that, however........I don't believe our military has served the people or this country much since WWII. The military industrial complex has been out of control for far too long and has been used very nefariously for far too long. I bleed red/white/blue with the best of them, but our men and women "who volunteer" serve interests that do not well serve this nation nor it's people, nor the countries we have all but destroyed with our involvement. We would all be British, Japanese or German had we not fought for our freedoms and liberty, but not sure what/why we have been involved in so much around the world ever since. The US military doesn't get involved with anything, that doesn't somehow benefit the politicians sending off our sons and daughters to get slaughtered or maimed. These are also the words of my son as well, and I also have more than a few close friends that are vets and concur with my feelings/thoughts/observations. But in saying all that.......a big thank you to all those who have served in the past/present/future.
I completely agree. I’m very conservative and I really, really don’t like what I have been seeing.

I’ll leave it at that. God Bless Our Troops, First Responders as well 😊

First, and foremost, I respect your freedom to have an opinion that differs from mine in many respects. That’s the freedom I served to protect.

And, secondly, I love the fact that this forum remains dedicated primarily to discussions regarding grilling and smoking proteins, and similar topics. When respectful disagreements occur, I’m glad that they are primarily around which rub is best, or whether to make your own. :rolleyes:

I see no point in discussing further political issues and nuances we may not fully agree upon when there are so many grilling and smoking subjects that need to be explored. 🤝

Has nothing to do with how you agree with someone, it's about how you disagree. I don't like sounding boards, I am all about individuals expressing their views and experiences above all else. Nothing wrong at all with "agreeing to disagree", had that not occurred many times throughout human history........doubt we'd still be here today. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back