1st Rack

Done both in my experiments 3-2-1 does seem to be the approach the family likes (more tender and more juicy). If you are someone who likes that dry rub type then it is naked. I will add on.. i have cooked ribs in my rectec 20+ times now in the last three years i have owned it both ways. Never more than 7 hours. I once got caught in an intense hoops game with my kids and ran to pull them at 8 (naked) and they were dry (didn't spritz - note that is different than what you posted). I couldn't lather enough sauce on them to save them. 9 sounds super long especially with the temp increase at the end.

Trust me... i am not being preachy. just curious. do you recall where the temps were at 7 or 8? I did buy Fattybombatty's BBQ Journal (on Amazon i think). Love that book. Nothing more than pages prompting me to keep track of things. meats, rubs, temps (outside, smoker, meat), outcomes, you name it. I often will write the temp checks for the last few hours. (really helps to keep track of stall on long cooks). That also helps me to hone in on how long, what temps get me the right outcomes.

I add this because my initial biggest issue when i bought my RecTec was constantly missing the timing frustrating the family. My wife would say when is dinner. I would say 630 and then be standing over my smoker at 730 begging for it to cook faster. ha. Writing it down and tracking what works, what doesn't (e.g. is it ok to crank up to temps to accelerate - what does that do to flavor).

LOVE THE QUOTE ON PRACTICE. NEVER HEARD IT BUT WILL STEAL IT!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrq202
Back