3-2-1 Ribs Gone Bad

BigDog

Well, I ran my normal 3-2-1 ribs yesterday and it went bad. I ened up being more like a 3-2-3 recipe. I hope someone can help me understand what went wrong. First the ribs were from Costco I had done some earlier this month on a diffent smoker and froze one slab. Thawed out the remaining one slab in the refrigerator for three days it was completely thawed. I added my rub and let them sit for about 45 minutes in the refrigerator while my ReqTeq RT590 came up to temp. 225F using Lumber Jack oak pellets. I did the normal 3 hours of smoke then wraped them in foil with brown sugar butter and honey for 2 hours. Everything looked good after the wrap but it took three more hours for them to finish and by the end outside was way too hard and tuff. Help with this odd occurrence. Thanks

I'd likely blame the meat on this one. With that, here are a few places that have caused prior rib failures for me through the years:

• Did you vacuum seal the ribs before freezing?
  • Any signs of freezer burn?
  • Were the ribs bought frozen and frozen a second time?
  • Were the other ribs that you cooked originally okay?
  • Did you pull the membrane or leave it on?
  • Did you wrap in butcher paper or foil?
  • Was it just brown sugar and honey or was there butter, apple cider, cider vinegar, etc. to preserve/add some moisture/fat?
I have to admit, after becoming cocky cranking out quality briskets, pork butts, tri tips, poultry, etc., I still screw up ribs more frequently than any other cook. They do require as much, if not more attention than longer cooks.

How did you decide you needed 3 more hours at the end? Bend test or temp?
Without the advantage of knowing your answer, I'm guessing it wasn't fully thawed.
And there's always the possibility of just a bad piece of meat. It happens.

I agree with the other posts, and would start with the ribs. I've tried Costco ribs twice.....and both times they were not very good, so I'm not going to buy ribs from Costco anymore. That could be a key issue right there.

Beyond that, knowing how you determined they were done or not is important as SmokeOCD mentioned.

One of the biggest factors I've found that can make or break the ribs is the MOISTURE (or lack thereof), and it can be finicky. I rub and let sit in the fridge for 1 - 2 hours, sometimes a little longer, then get the smoker up to 225 F. Then I let them cook/smoke for at least 1 hour undisturbed to help with smoke penetration. After that, I spray or mop about every 30 min (mix of apple juice and apple cider) until finished. I usually only need 4.5 - 5 hours total (I check with temp and with bend test). I've noticed that keeping them moist (especially with the sugar from the apple juice) helps to get some good bark and prevents them from drying out to the point of that jerky-consistency tough bark, and the interior is also excellent - a little chew and not falling apart but still tender (i.e., I can usually pull them apart with not much resistance but the bones don't slide out). I've noticed in cooks when I didn't keep up with spraying/moping, I end up with the more tough bark and meat is not as tender. I actually haven't tried adding some honey or brown sugar during the cook for some additional sweetness, but I'm debating on trying this.

However, one reason I haven't done this is that I don't do the 3-2-1 method anymore. I have found that is usually more time than needed, and when I have done this I don't care for the final texture. This comes down to personal preference, so if this is what you like then go for it and enjoy! This has just been my experience and my preference.

I hope that helps, good luck!

-Mike

I'd likely blame the meat on this one. With that, here are a few places that have caused prior rib failures for me through the years:

• Did you vacuum seal the ribs before freezing?
  • Any signs of freezer burn?
  • Were the ribs bought frozen and frozen a second time?
  • Were the other ribs that you cooked originally okay?
  • Did you pull the membrane or leave it on?
  • Did you wrap in butcher paper or foil?
  • Was it just brown sugar and honey or was there butter, apple cider, cider vinegar, etc. to preserve/add some moisture/fat?
I have to admit, after becoming cocky cranking out quality briskets, pork butts, tri tips, poultry, etc., I still screw up ribs more frequently than any other cook. They do require as much, if not more attention than longer cooks.
Thanks for your response I will address of of your questions.

• Did you vacuum seal the ribs before freezing? Not vacuum sealed just three tight layers of plastic wrap.
  • Any signs of freezer burn? No freezer burns visible.
  • Were the ribs bought frozen and frozen a second time? I dont think they were previously frozen.
  • Were the other ribs that you cooked originally okay? Yes the other ribs turned out good.
  • Did you pull the membrane or leave it on? Membrane removed.
  • Did you wrap in butcher paper or foil? Wraped in two layers of heavy foil meat side down.
  • Was it just brown sugar and honey or was there butter, apple cider, cider vinegar, etc. to preserve/add some moisture/fat? In my wrap was brown sugar, honey and butter.

Thanks

Not a fan of Costco pork. YMMV

How did you decide you needed 3 more hours at the end? Bend test or temp?
Without the advantage of knowing your answer, I'm guessing it wasn't fully thawed.
And there's always the possibility of just a bad piece of meat. It happens.

I used both temperature and the bend test after an hour out of the foil they were only about 155 F.

Fwiw, step 1 to roughly 155-160, step 2 to about 190 and meat pulling back, step 3 till probe tender/ pass the bend test/ roughly 198.

Seems my ribs drop in temp when I remove it from foil/butcher paper and takes a while to come back up.

When it comes back up to about 190 I baste with thinned sauce cause that's how we like it.

Have you verified your pit temp? Is the RTD leaning toward the smoker barrel? That can effect the controller.
I was just going to comment asking if the pit temp has been verified with a 3rd party thermometer. That's what I am thinking is the most likely cause.

I think the feedback from the responders all have merit. I also offer after doing over 200 Costco BB Ribs, I’ve only had one or two duds. in comparison, I also have a membershiop at Restaurant Depot and use them as a source when Costco only has the sulfur infused cyro-packing with the offensive (to me) odor. That being said, I can’t tell if you were doing STL style, Pork Loin or BB-Backs. Each seems to take on a different cooking profile and temperament, in my opinion. I’d probe my pit to make sure it is consistent with your settings. I would also try not to overthink this “black swan“ event as it is hopefully a one off. An additional observation is the ”dwell” time between the removal of the rack from the fridge to the time you place it on the smoker. Never, ever, ever, put cold pork or beef on a grill. In my experiences, bringing meats up to ambient temperature from cold tends to dry out the protein or at a minimum extends the overall cooking time considerably. I don’t know the science behind going from ~40F to ~60F as measured in BTUs versus dehydration, but I absolutely will not put cold meat on my grill. I obviously won’t allow any bacterial growth from extended periods at room temperature but if you start at the right temp, you are cutting down on one big variable. Just my thoughts.

I don’t know the science behind going from ~40F to ~60F as measured in BTUs versus dehydration, but I absolutely will not put cold meat on my grill.
What’s a good way to test this? Pork shoulder probably too forgiving. Chuck? Sacrifice a rack for science? I usually prep and clean and season as the grill is coming to temp so I guess I don’t usually put cold meat on the grill either.

What’s a good way to test this? Pork shoulder probably too forgiving. Chuck? Sacrifice a rack for science? I usually prep and clean and season as the grill is coming to temp so I guess I don’t usually put cold meat on the grill either.
When my friends ask that question, it usually turns into a debate about par boiling for consistency or using the old fashioned ”hope and a prayer” technique, lol. I actually wish I had a specific way to answer your question. The art of cooking with fire will never have the accuracy of an indoor high end oven. If it did, there would be no competition or desire to take risk. I often “mix” proteins on my cookers. I have done some of the most difficult (e.g., Briskets along with Brisket flats, prime ribs, BBQ ribs, Smoked Turkey, sausages, pork chops, and pork butts, ‘gator and ribs simultaneously, and the only thing they had in common other than the smoker’s temperature was that they were all different and required their own attention and techniques. Even when I try to get consistency in the overall weights and sizes, one little piggy went to the gym and the other stayed at home getting fat on popcorn and watching Netflix so they were never quite the same. The attached screen shot is a timer from a recent cook and as you can see, I try to ball park everything. However, I also try to remember the same thing I taught fighter pilots that had every conceivable electronic device known to man in their cockpits, don’t forget to look out the window/canopy if you don’t know which way you are going. I like to cook by feel and use temp probes as my general indicator for intervention but I don’t use any probes for ribs as that can only lead to trouble and disappointment. As a neophyte, I recommend you look at the posts on this site and others and your questions will all be answered. In short (oops, too late for that), look at each cook as a unique adventure to apply your knowledge for a successful and tasty end result.

As an aside, if I had to create a test I would do the following:
  1. Try to get ribs that are of known type (e.g., BBB, STL, etc.) and of similar density. Obviously, a pig can only donate 2 at at time so look for something that is similar in size. I have noticed Costco will put 2 normal size ribs in a pack with a smaller size if the total weight is under 4 pounds. To counter this I usually look for the heaviest pack I can find as it usually means the smaller rack has been left out.
  2. I dry rub my ribs 24-36 hours before removal from the fridge. It seems extreme but I have found the quick method (i.e., 2-4 hours before) does not allow decent absorption of moisture and is only superficial at best. I also like the longer rub period because I know the kosher salt (which is the first of 10 seasonings I use) ample time to break down the meat to my liking.
  3. Remove from fridge at least 5 hours and leave in an open pan on a baking rack until it temps at 50-54F using an infrared and internal themometer.
  4. Start grill (for a “quick“ cook, I will set the cooker’s temp at 225-240F. I feel it allows for great rendering of the protein and subsequent smoke exposure. This is typically done on a rack to maximize the distance between the drip pan and the bottom of the ribs. I also do it directly on the RT700s grates but I don’t get the same smokey flavor depending on the ambient temperatures in my area.
  5. Let them “ride” until you like the bark and the seasonings/rub does not come off when you touch it. If you over-season and create a thermal barrier on the top of the ribs or over spritz, your cooking time will increase dramatically trying to get the ”set’.
  6. Wrap/foil the ribs for the final “steam bath” for at least 2 hours BBBs, or 2.5hrs STL until the bend at a 70-85 degree 1 bone away from the tongs. Anything more and they will break, anything less and they won’t be tender enough.
  7. Put on the grill to cure the bbq sauce for 30 minutes (or use a sear burner at 900F for 5 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes lightly tented.
  8. Serve and enjoy.

1671686117481.jpeg

Last edited:
I used both temperature and the bend test after an hour out of the foil they were only about 155 F.
This response is why I'm heavily thinking your pit temp isn't accurate. After 3 hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped and 1 hour unwrapped in a 225 degree pit I would say there is a 0.001% chance ribs are at 155 degrees.....unless the pit is only at 170 degrees.

My 1250 was about 175 degrees out of the box when set to 225 and I made the worst ribs ever. Didn't do the bend test or anything, just went off of what i had always done with other smokers. Then I checked the pit temp the next day and was amazed how far off it was.

I will never buy pork at Costco again unless they change suppliers. Too many nasty packages. Go with the ribs and chalk it up to a lesson we all learn at some point.

I will never buy pork at Costco again unless they change suppliers. Too many nasty packages. Go with the ribs and chalk it up to a lesson we all learn at some point.
I think Costco may use different meat suppliers in different regions. We’ve never had any of the problems with ribs that others are describing, but then we’re way out here in the Pacific Northwest. :rolleyes:

I know someone who works in Costco’s product sourcing at the main office. Next time I see him, I’ll ask.

Did you vacuum seal the ribs before freezing? Not vacuum sealed just three tight layers of plastic wrap.
I have a strong feeling that this is your problem. Even “three tight layers of plastic wrap will not prevent dehydration. Only vacuum sealing will, and then only for a relatively short period (2-3 months).

IME, what you describe—“…the end outside was way too hard and tuff…”—is often the result of meat being frozen without vacuum sealing. Been there, done that—and, won’t do it any more.

YMMV

I think Costco may use different meat suppliers in different regions. We’ve never had any of the problems with ribs that others are describing, but then we’re way out here in the Pacific Northwest. :rolleyes:

I know someone who works in Costco’s product sourcing at the main office. Next time I see him, I’ll ask.
If you live near the HQ I’d expect no less.

I was wondering the same thing. I've never had any issues with ribs from the Costco stores I've been to in Minnesota.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back