321 Ribs

Buckeye1

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
I'm gonna try ribs this weekend using 321 for first time. I've seen some people go 180 first hour then go to 225. Others just go to 225. What have you guys done that works?

Also do you spray on liquid the first 3 hours or leave it alone, what are the pro's and con's?

I start off at 225 for the whole smoke and I'm happy with the level of smokiness. Just depends on how much smoke flavor you like. I don't spritz with anything for the first 3 hours, I don't even peek. I will wrap for the 2 hour with butcher's paper and add a little apple juice then. Need to wrap good with paper or you can have yourself a mess. I prefer paper over foil.

Sorry I can't offer any help as I cook ribs at 225 and do not wrap. I used to spritz every cook, now it is just when I remember. If I spritz it is every hour for the first three hours or so.

Doing my first rack tomorrow. Gonna do at 225 naked.

Interesting article Bytor. I'm gonna do 225 and wrap in full since I don't have paper right now. Can't wait the anticipation is building.

I'm gonna try ribs this weekend using 321 for first time. I've seen some people go 180 first hour then go to 225. Others just go to 225. What have you guys done that works?

Also do you spray on liquid the first 3 hours or leave it alone, what are the pro's and con's?
The only caution is sometime 3-2-1 ends with fall off the bone meat. If that’s what you like go for it. I sometimes use a 2-1-1, same concept just a little more bite left.

I go for 2-2-1 for Baby backs and 3-2-1 for St. Louis style. All at 225. At times I may skimp on the 2 hr for the wrap depending on how things look. Sometimes at 1 hr and then unwrap. Just depends on look and feel/bending of the ribs.

Gotbbq, does the type of rib matter for 321 vs 221?
A lot of factors, but the baby backs get softer faster. Its really something to experiment with and what you like best. Most of the time i don't wrap and just go for a spray when they look dry. I also don't sauce the ribs until the table. I want the taste of the meat, not the BBQ sauce. Its all an individual preference. I would suggest you make a BBQ journal, electronic or other so you can reference what you did and why you liked/didn't like. Also cool to look back at what you made years later. Today I'm making a pastrami from meat i corned during the past week. I'll post pics tomorrow

Final step

Attachments

• IMG_7936.jpg
    IMG_7936.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 82
Here they are. Everyone ate their share and then some.?

Attachments

• IMG_7938.JPG
    IMG_7938.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7937.jpg
    IMG_7937.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7941.jpg
    IMG_7941.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 96
Here they are. Everyone ate their share and then some.?
Buckeye-great job. Good bark, nice smoke ring. Easier than you thought! Next time even easier. Keep a journal of what you did and what you liked. What did you use for bbq sauce? Home made or bought?

Looks like a successful cook to me. Congrats!

I used Sweet Baby Rays original on 1 and honey on the the other. Used Penzeys Bbq 3000 for rub. Basically used stuff we already had on hand.

If I foil, I usually check them around 1 hour into foiling. Also, I usually bump the temp up around 300-325 during the foil cook. I gave up on actual foil years ago after having several bad experiences where the fluids leaked from the foil and the ribs were dry. I now just use a full size aluminum tray and lay the rib rack in there and cover with foil. 100% no fail. Same results. Easier. So, my ribs are more like 3-1-.5

I used Sweet Baby Rays original on 1 and honey on the the other. Used Penzeys Bbq 3000 for rub. Basically used stuff we already had on hand.
I use the Penzeys BBQ 3000, too. I usually use it with another rub for more depth of flavor. .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back