380 BULLSEYE - INDIRECT COOKING

buster63

Looking to purchase the 380 Bullseye. Has anyone put a solid 1/2 circle plate on the diffuser plate to achieve indirect cooking? If so, what were the results?

I’m not certain what a 1/2 circle plate is, but I have a 15” diameter baking steel that I have used as a diffuser plate on the Bullseye and it works fairly well.

The included diffuser makes it indirect. If you take it out then you're cooking with fire right on your food.
It is more direct heat than a standard pellet smoker (no drip pan in the way). I too wondered if you covered the holes in the diffuser on one side with a half round metal plate if that would work like the Weber Kettle. But I imagine that the bottom of the barrel would over heat in the covered area and cause damage, so I did not try that. On the Weber you only have the charcoal on the direct side so it is not trapped beneath the covered side.

It is more direct heat than a standard pellet smoker (no drip pan in the way). I too wondered if you covered the holes in the diffuser on one side with a half round metal plate if that would work like the Weber Kettle. But I imagine that the bottom of the barrel would over heat in the covered area and cause damage, so I did not try that. On the Weber you only have the charcoal on the direct side so it is not trapped beneath the covered side.
Thanks, that was my thought also, but was interested if anyone had tried it. I don't want to be the first.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back