680 Put to the Test

cookingjnj

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hi all,

I have been known on occasion to answer the question on if someone should cover their pit or leave it open to the elements. My answer has always been when I first got my 680 I did use the cover, but over time started using it less and less and now not at all. I always said the pit has not been effected by the beating sun, wind rain or snow. I live in NJ so get a bit of all of those. Well panic sank in this week as I did not have it covered and we were hit with the storm of the decade. Snowfall in my area was just at 20", and drifts on my deck in spots (including around my pits) was 27"+. All I could say to myself was......RT don't fail me now.

I have attached pictures below. First picture is what, on a normal day, my pit set-up generally looks like with the 680, my kettles and gasser. The second is a picture of the same area, with all the snow build up. The third picture is a pic isolating just the 680. The forth is a picture from today after I cleared off the 680, and created a path to the other pits.

I want to make Pork Belly Burnt Ends for Sunday, and really needed the 680 to light up and do it's thing today to ensure it works. Well, the 680 turned on, firebox lit up pellets and the fan was blowing as it is supposed to, and it heated to 225 and held that temp. Success! This machine continues to amaze me as even after all that snow on it for 4 days, it still kept all the key electrical components dry, and just as important all the pellets in the hopper dry. Love my 680!!!

Pork Belly Burnt Ends on Sunday. Can't wait!

Attachments

• Pits.jpg
    Pits.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Pitts II.jpg
    Pitts II.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 680.jpg
    680.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 79
  • All Clean.jpg
    All Clean.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 78
We got dumped on in western Connecticut too, 18+ inches of snow with crazy high drifts. My bull only had a few inches of snow sitting on it that was blow in on the porch where it is stored uncovered as always.

Got lucky here at the shore area.. only like 3 inches Sunday then mostly rain. Not complaining.

Please do share the burnt ends. Have not done them yet and really need some ideas.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcharette
Back