Bull A long time to get to 500.

Mitch01

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Please let me know if this is usual; I put my set point at 500 degrees for my flank steak tonight and it's been 35 minutes and I'm still at 457 degrees.

Please let me know if this is usual; I put my set point at 500 degrees for my flank steak tonight and it's been 35 minutes and I'm still at 457 degrees.

Have you checked with a free standing thermometer?

Is your feed rate still at factory? What's the outside temp?

I have not checked with a free-standing thermometer temperature outside is 70° and I just returned the feed rate 265 which is standard just before starting the grill today.

This is off their faq page.
How long does it take for a rec TEC grill to heat up?
Of course this depends on the weather conditions and the temperature selected. From lighting through temperatures up to 350F it should take 20-30 minutes and maximum temperatures will take 30-45 minutes. On cold or windy days preheat time may be increased by 10-15 minutes.

REC TEC Grills › faq

Mines at factory feed rate usually about 85° or so outside... But probably takes more like 20-25 mins to get to 500. Got it to 561 once searing steaks.

Frequently Asked Questions - REC TEC

Well I guess it always helps to read the instructions before doing and understanding the process. Thanks gentlemen I appreciate your input.

I've had my Stampede for about two weeks now and am having the same concern. Today I let it go for a full 45 minutes and it only got to 482°. My feed rate is still at the factory setting, but I was under the impression that the setting is for the minimum feed rate, which would affect low temperature operation. I haven't checked it against another thermometer (yet), but I'm somewhat disappointed that it doesn't seem to make it all the way to the advertised temp.

I've had my Stampede for about two weeks now and am having the same concern. Today I let it go for a full 45 minutes and it only got to 482°. My feed rate is still at the factory setting, but I was under the impression that the setting is for the minimum feed rate, which would affect low temperature operation. I haven't checked it against another thermometer (yet), but I'm somewhat disappointed that it doesn't seem to make it all the way to the advertised temp.
You can call the guys at rec tec they are very good at helping us figure out our issues. But I would say first check with a separate digital thermometer to see how accurate that reading is. I believe that can all be adjusted. You can also increase the auger speed past what factory setting is.

Okay, no solutions here, as Mitch says; "call RT for that". However, as a reference for other owners, I ran my Stampede to "FUL" several months ago when I was experimenting with pizza. Outside temp was 49, fuel was Cookin' Pellets blend (fuel may have something to do with others but rarely does anyone refer to that). It took about one hour and 5 minutes to get to max which on mine was 540-550. It got to around 500 fairly quickly, IIRC somewhere 40-45 minutes, but those last 50ish degrees were a slow slog and anytime I opened the lid it would drop a quick 30ish degrees and was REAL slow to recover.

I'd like to do a "sealed" vs stock comparison just to see if there is a difference in heat retention. Wouldn't think it would be a big one, but then again....?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back