Bull After 6 years of a Brinkmann pellet grill....

Mitch01

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Many great cooks on that grill. I had changed out the controller, hot rod and fire pot 2 years back with Traeger parts, but over the last 3 cooks the temps would not stay where I wanted them. This was really messing up my 4th of July cook! I yelled to the wife "This dang smoker is screwing up again!" Then the most awesome reply came..."You better get a new one!" HAHAHA...I had been researching Rec Tec and other grills of months now. Without hesitation, I jumped on the phone (internet) and ordered the 4th of July sale on the Bull W/bundle. It's scary spending that much on a grill, but I think it's going to be a good decision! I just can't stand the thought of having to wait 2 weeks to get out to Seattle WA. Actually, right now I got a email saying that it shipped!

Welcome aboard Mitch. Most folks do a rib burn for their inaugural cook...……….but in your case a trip to Pike Place Market and a fresh salmon would be more in order. I do miss that market...……..

@Mitch01 welcome to the forum. Great choice going with the Rec Rec Bull bundle, while it might be a bit pricey I'm confident you won't regret it. I've had mine for a while and it's been WELL worth the money for me, for sure.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you receive yours!

Welcome aboard Mitch. Most folks do a rib burn for their inaugural cook...……….but in your case a trip to Pike Place Market and a fresh salmon would be more in order. I do miss that market...……..
Thanks Uncle Bob, I have smoked a lot of salmon but I think I'm going to do something fatty to get the inside coated...then some salmon!

@Mitch01 welcome to the forum. Great choice going with the Rec Rec Bull bundle, while it might be a bit pricey I'm confident you won't regret it. I've had mine for a while and it's been WELL worth the money for me, for sure.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you receive yours!
Thanks for the welcome Mike! I will be sure to add my thoughts, can't wait ?

@Mitch01 Congratulations and Welcome to the group, family, mafia, etc. Man, Pike Place, sling some fish my way why don't you! Wife and I are headed to Seattle at the end of the month, she's never been and it's been years since I've been there. Lived in Lynnwood for a short stint.

Have a great time with the Bull and can't wait to see some photos of what's cookin!

dsandersus, thanks for the welcome! There is no better place to be in the summer than in the Pacific Northwest. The suspense of waiting 2 weeks is absolutely killing me!

Welcome @Mitch01 to the wonderful dysfunctional thing we call a a family! There are great people here who are all after the exact same thing....Getting the best food from our Rec Tecs we can.
Congratulations on the Bull. Its a great grill! Your going to love it!
Any issues you run into you of course you have rec tec support but we also will be here to help you at any time day or night!

Again welcome Brother!

Thank you for the welcome. After reading through a number of these posts on this forum, I'm a little concerned about having to adjust the feed rates and the temperature gauges and things like that. I'm not that electronically talented. Hopefully it won't be that big of an issue. But I know I'll be able to call out to my guys here.

Okay Mitch just to give you a bit of comfort, and certainly not to criticize or demean anyone else, I'll just say that I haven't done any of that stuff. I did verify the probe temp accuracy with my Thermoworks Smoke and Thermapen, it was within a degree or two at any point. I've never touched the feed rate whether temps in the 40s or 90s, and holding pit temp has never been a problem other than on the initial burn in which prompted a call to RT tech. They had me re-run the burn in and all went as it should. Likely I overloaded the fire pot manually at startup which caused a spike for awhile. Some of what you've read is likely a legitimate problem for a very few people...…...but then, happy folks don't usually say anything so the skew is toward the problem. Also, there are folks, bless their hearts, who just have to fiddle with stuff, it's what they do and it's part of their enjoyment. My suggestion would be to work with it as you receive it and see if it gives you the pleasure and results you hope/expect. After that, if you want to join in the experimentation to satisfy your "What happens when I do...….." urges, go for it.

Hahaha...Thanks for the words of comfort Uncle Bob!

My suggestion would be to work with it as you receive it and see if it gives you the pleasure and results you hope/expect. After that, if you want to join in the experimentation to satisfy your "What happens when I do...….." urges, go for it.
This 100%.

Just got the word...my grill will be delivered tomorrow!

I have a feeling it's going to get to the house just after I leaving for work. So, unfortunately I will have to have somebody sign for it and wait till the next day to actually get busy with it. ☹️

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back