Anyone use pellet boss pellets?

JohnDS

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I'm afraid to even ask about pellet boss pellets lol.

I had great smoke with cookin-pellets but at $40/40lbs,, it began getting expensive. I know a lot of you guys love lumber jack pellets and I see rural king sells them for about $8. The problem is I'm in NY. By the time they ship them here it's more expensive than the cookin-pellets. So I saw that lowes up here sells pellet boss pellets for $15/40lb. Well I'm wondering if anyone experienced white smoke from these pellets. It's the competition blend. I dont like them at all.

But anyway, the local sporting good store sells lumber jack now at $30/40lbs. Still expensive, but not as bad. I'm gonna give these a shot. I ordered 40lbs of hickory and 40lbs of cherry. I'm curious to see how they compare to cookin-pellets.

1) Anyone have similar issues with pellet boss pellets? Or what was your experience?
2) Has anyone that is a lumberjack pellet fan ever tried cookin-pellets? What's your reasoning for the switch besides price or what's your opinion on the comparison?

I appreciate anyone's time to help answer my questions. Thank you.

No experience with them but I've been looking for alternatives. I purchased pellets from rectec but they shipped a week later than the grill itself. Here is what I have found
Cooking perfect has the bulk order that ships free. But you get like 600 lbs for $390. It's a mix of your choice and if you have the space and like them go for it.
Lumberjack is available at Dicks as you mentioned. But that is more expensive than Rural King who also sells them. Rural King has the same bag for about $9 vs 15 at DSG.
Amazon sells some or all of these but savings disappear due to weight.
Personally I would hit up rural King after my first order is gone to try. If not then I will go back to cooking perfect and do a mix either for myself or with another guy splitting it.

I have read and personally spoke to a friend that claims LJ gives a better smoke flavor. once Dicks here has the 100% i'm going to get a bag or two and try them out. The rectec ultimate blend are nice and gives a great flavor but i like options.

I’ve personally burned through 10+ bags of Pit Boss pellets (comp. blend) from Lowe’s and they’ve performed without issue. I’ve also used Cooking pellets, LJ and the Sams Club special (similar in price to the PB’s). I can’t tell any difference when using a blended type pellet.

Brother uses pit boss all the time. He seems to like them.

Luckily RK is close and I get the LJ pellets easily..Oh that reminds me I am almost out so essential trip tomorrow :)

What kind of pellet boss pellets did you burn through? I got the competition blend from lowes and idk it taste like creosote on the salmon I just cooked and I see nothing but white smoke coming out.

Rural king, as stated, the price is nice, but the shipping is $13 for a 20lb bag. That's more than cookin pellets.

I'm picking up the lumberjack cherry and hickory tomorrow. Cant wait to try it.

I have used a few hundred # of each brand. The Pit Boss competition blend from Lowes for about $15 for 40# is hard to beat for the price per # of pellets. I also like the LJ mixed and looking to get a few bags of the Cookingpellets competition since I found a dealer relatively close to me. But to answer your question, I think, the Pit Boss Pellets will do just fine. Use them all the time.

I'm afraid to even ask about pellet boss pellets lol.

I had great smoke with cookin-pellets but at $40/40lbs,, it began getting expensive. I know a lot of you guys love lumber jack pellets and I see rural king sells them for about $8. The problem is I'm in NY. By the time they ship them here it's more expensive than the cookin-pellets. So I saw that lowes up here sells pellet boss pellets for $15/40lb. Well I'm wondering if anyone experienced white smoke from these pellets. It's the competition blend. I dont like them at all.

But anyway, the local sporting good store sells lumber jack now at $30/40lbs. Still expensive, but not as bad. I'm gonna give these a shot. I ordered 40lbs of hickory and 40lbs of cherry. I'm curious to see how they compare to cookin-pellets.

1) Anyone have similar issues with pellet boss pellets? Or what was your experience?
2) Has anyone that is a lumberjack pellet fan ever tried cookin-pellets? What's your reasoning for the switch besides price or what's your opinion on the comparison?

I appreciate anyone's time to help answer my questions. Thank you.
Many of the pellets available are good choices. You have to balance cost (including shipping), amount of heat they put out and how much ash is made. Some low end pellets make tons of ash. It's really hard to tell the difference unless you find one that is really bad or puts out off smoke. I use lumberjack and have happy with the results ??

Any idea why I'm getting white garbage smoke from the pellet boss competition blend?
I have no clue what "pellet boss competition blend" pellets are, what temperature are you cooking at? I have used the Pit Boss Competition blend from both Lowes and Walmart many times with great results, tough to beat for under $15 for 40 pounds.

Well I usually cook at 225 - 275. I didnt notice the smoke or pay attention in the past cooks but noticed the taste was a little off. This recent cook I smoked salmon at 180 and noticed the white smoke so i assume that's why the off flavor. I also noticed whenever I cooked with cookin-pellets hickory or cookin-pellets perfect mix the smoke coming out actually smelled good. Idk, weird.

Well I usually cook at 225 - 275. I didnt notice the smoke or pay attention in the past cooks but noticed the taste was a little off. This recent cook I smoked salmon at 180 and noticed the white smoke so i assume that's why the off flavor. I also noticed whenever I cooked with cookin-pellets hickory or cookin-pellets perfect mix the smoke coming out actually smelled good. Idk, weird.
Maybe there a little damp. Put some in a small bowl covered with a saucer and microwave for about 30 seconds to a minute, if there is moisture that runs off the saucer when tipped the pellets are damp, there should be a little moisture on the saucer but not enough to run off when tipped.

Last edited:
I have used Traeger, GreenMountain, Pit Boss and a few others found locally. I would say that the only difference I've found is the amount of DUST in the bags. I'm guessing it's the amount of handling that happens to them. I'm saying that I find more dust in the pellets I purchase say at menards or home depot of say the #40 bags of any brand as apposed to say a #20 bag from my local store that sells grills.

For instance I used to only use GMG brand pellets for the longest time, I had one before my RecTec, and purchased thru the place i bought my grill from. The amount of dust I'd find in those #30 bags was considerably less than I find in my #40 Bags I get from the big box store.

I think if I didn't have a process to get rid of the extra dust I'd have more ASH in my grill, but I try and separate the dust from the pellets when I transfer them to my storage buckets. I use a screen at the bottom of my 5gallon bucket, much like a grit guard at the bottom of my car washing bucket. This lets the dust settle to the bottom so when I scoop them into my hopper it's mostly pellets.

I don't find the flavors vastly or even noticeably different between brands. Maybe some can or I'm not picky enough. I purchase mostly based on Cost and the amount of ash I see being produced.

I have used Traeger, GreenMountain, Pit Boss and a few others found locally. I would say that the only difference I've found is the amount of DUST in the bags. I'm guessing it's the amount of handling that happens to them. I'm saying that I find more dust in the pellets I purchase say at menards or home depot of say the #40 bags of any brand as apposed to say a #20 bag from my local store that sells grills.

For instance I used to only use GMG brand pellets for the longest time, I had one before my RecTec, and purchased thru the place i bought my grill from. The amount of dust I'd find in those #30 bags was considerably less than I find in my #40 Bags I get from the big box store.

I think if I didn't have a process to get rid of the extra dust I'd have more ASH in my grill, but I try and separate the dust from the pellets when I transfer them to my storage buckets. I use a screen at the bottom of my 5gallon bucket, much like a grit guard at the bottom of my car washing bucket. This lets the dust settle to the bottom so when I scoop them into my hopper it's mostly pellets.

I don't find the flavors vastly or even noticeably different between brands. Maybe some can or I'm not picky enough. I purchase mostly based on Cost and the amount of ash I see being produced.
I don't think the pellet dust is going to significantly add any more dust than the wooden pellets do by them selves. I do agree with you on cost is a major deciding point for my pellet purchases.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back