app v1.6 with android

lbbrew

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hey everyone,

new rec tec owner here. I have done a couple cooks on my 590 and had some questions to see if others with android are seeing the same as me with the app.
App works. i can remotely turn it on and off, set and receive all alarms and they are current. The main screen with the set point/actual temps and probe temps work at first. i can see the temps change and they rise or fall all while the app is open. If I accidently close the app or my phone goes to sleep, when I come back in on the main screen the temps are where I left off and not current. However the temp chart is current and the alarms are sending the current temps. If i close and reopen the app, restart the phone the temps on the main screen are still old and not refreshed. I tried going to devices and refreshing but no luck. the only way i have been able to get the current temp is if i delete my grill in devices and re-add it. The grill controller is working fine and it's putting out great food. I want to see if i'm not doing something right with the app, check if anyone else is seeing this or if it's just me.

thanks

That's not normal for sure. Anytime I've had a "timeout" problem I went one screen back to devices pulled down to refresh and then they were current after that
Try again and if it continues give RecTec a call.
See if you need an App update also.

Just used tonight with the upgrade app. It lost it twice and have been no further than 30' from it. It does give you a ton of notices.

Just used tonight with the upgrade app. It lost it twice and have been no further than 30' from it. It does give you a ton of notices.
The grill doesn't send the wifi signal to your phone unless you're using your phone as a hot spot, it sends it to your homes wifi router that your phone is connected to on wifi. I'm not going to be liking all the alarms for grill range temperature.

It said app has stopped working. Household router is only 35' from where smoker was at. Was using kindle at same time and had no issues. Will see next go around what happens.

It said app has stopped working. Household router is only 35' from where smoker was at. Was using kindle at same time and had no issues. Will see next go around what happens.
Distance can make a difference with routers but what the signal has to go through or interference with other electrical items near by cause more lost or weak signals.

Yep, totally aware of that. Could always control before ( same place), temp up, temp down, on, off. Just didn't have alarms prior. Like said, will see next cook.

just an update from yesterday's cook. The app showed the same behavior with the timeouts and not refreshing. halfway through the cook I installed the app on an android tablet that i had and got the same results. I then installed the app on my work phone which is an iphone. everything looked good and was working as expected. i then turned the iphone off, went back to my android phone and everything worked as expected. i quit the app, let my phone go to sleep, restarted the phone and it was still good. I'll keep playing with it, but i think the iphone triggered something in my controller. the iphone initially connected through bluetooth. on my android phone i didn't see the bluetooth option. anyways the app seems to be working now and i cooked two racks of ribs and some salmon and it turned out great.

Yesterday was the first cook with the updated app. I had some graphing issues for the first 5-10 minutes or so, then restarted it again and all was well, alarms and all.

So the app updated automatically and it worked for me on Saturday, though it was annoying as all heck. Way too many alerts. Like the boy that cried wolf. This is lazy coding, just notifying on everything they could think of.

Then last night, it started out working but did not alert me when the probes reached temp.

Disappointing. I waited nearly a year for this? I still can't rely on it, I guess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back