Trailblazer As much smoke from lid as vents

Michael in NH

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
My Trailblazer has as much smoke leaking around the lid/door as smoke going out the vents.
Is this normal or should I seal the lid? The low temp (200 to 225)takes about 20 to 30 minutes to settle in after starting the grill.
I have only had it for about 2 months and am new to smoking.

I have not had much of a smoke leakage issue with my 2021 RT-340 Tralblazer, but went ahead and applied this sealing gasket tape anyway…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DMFP1TO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

…like a lot of other folks have. It works well.

I’m wondering in your case, however, if you have damp pellets that are creating excessive smoke. You might try cleaning out the pellet hopper and refilling with pellets from a previously unopened bag to see it that reduces the problem.

It is a fresh bag of Recteq pellets. I ordered some LavaLock last night and it will be in tomorrow. It has done this since day one. The meats I have smoked have been very good, but the stains and drippings around the lid are hard to clean.

I ordered some LavaLock last night and it will be in tomorrow.
Be sure you clean the surfaces REALLY WELL before applying the LavaLock so it will adhere properly. The surfaces need to be shiny bright and thoroughly dry before applying the LavaLock for it to stick well.

If you can find some stainless steel wool, that helps a lot. DO NOT USE regular steel wool as bits of the steel will embed in the SS and cause rust stains. IF you can’t find SS wool, Scotch Brite pads work OK, but not as good as SS wool.

Good luck with the project.

I'm a big fan of Zep on Stainless.
Zep + Scotch Brite (like Jim6820 said) followed by alcohol rub down before LavaLock.
The alcohol ensures no grease is left as well as helps dry the surface.

Which of the Zep products do you use?
You didn’t ask me, but I’ll jump in with the one I like..
IMG_1421.jpeg

Which of the Zep products do you use?
The oven and grill cleaner. I don't have any painted surfaces to worry about. I only use it on the outside, the inside is self cleaning (aka pizza night). I've not had the grill a year yet - I figure it will probably only be once or twice a year that I clean that hard. It looks pretty good with regular wipedowns before during and after grilling. The vent stains got to me and I had to clean it up, thus the Zep + Scotch Brite.
It takes multiple soakings, I think I got to bare metal on the third round. Be gentle, let the chemicals do the majority of the work, no need to use the green pad like a sanding block.

II spent an hour cleaning the lid this morning and my wife came home later with Chicken thighs for me to smoke for dinner. they are 30 mins. in. I guess I will be cleaning it all over again and will heed your advice when I do.

My Trailblazer has as much smoke leaking around the lid/door as smoke going out the vents.
Is this normal or should I seal the lid? The low temp (200 to 225)takes about 20 to 30 minutes to settle in after starting the grill.
I have only had it for about 2 months and am new to smoking.
Hi Michael,

Make sure the lid is even with the sides of the grill. The top hinges are adjustable and may have may have become loose during shipping.

The older grills had a two part front cover, the inner part has a seal which may have failed.

The grill is still under warranty, reach out to Recteq for assistance. Some of the RT folks frown on sealing the lid.

Hi Michael,

Make sure the lid is even with the sides of the grill. The top hinges are adjustable and may have may have become loose during shipping.

The older grills had a two part front cover, the inner part has a seal which may have failed.

The grill is still under warranty, reach out to Recteq for assistance. Some of the RT folks frown on sealing the lid.
I did notice the inner part of the lid ( baffle for lack of a better word ) was not center and was much closer to the edge of the lid on one side. I loosened the screws and was able to shift it to the middle. I then loosened the hinges and repositioned the lid. I will fire up the grill in a little whiile and see if it helped.

Last edited:
I did notice the inner part of the lid ( baffle for lack of a better word ) was not center and was much closer to the edge of the lid on one side. I loosened the screws and was able to shift it to the middle. I then loosened the hinges and repositioned the lid. I will fire up the grill in a little whiile and see if it helped.
I ended up resealing inner with high temp RTV.

I spray mine down with the Dawn Powerwash foam....let it sit for a few....then wipe. I then use a good spray bottle of water to "rinse" and wipe it dry.

20230506_110428.jpg

So it's not just commercial magic - it really works?
Yes, it really works. ...at least the best I have tried to this point. Was really disappointed in the stainless cleaner and polish I bought.
The key is to let the foam sit for a few minutes....it will turn brown with all the grease being lifted....Will wipe with scotch brite pads next time instead of just a cloth. I bet it will even work better and easier.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back