How much smoke flavor?

C.5280

We are highly considering a rec tec grill (patio legend), only hesitation is my wife does not love the taste of smoke on everything cooked. Does the patio legend create a smoky flavor essence on all food cooked on the grill?

It’s a smoker, so yes, but being pellets it’s not a real strong flavor.
And the flavor of pellets you use may matter. A competition blend (mixture of different flavors) or something that’s got a more neutral smoke (oak) or fruity/mild like a cherry could be helpful in keeping the smoke flavor to an acceptable level.

“Smoke flavor” is one of those subjects where any 10 people will have at least 15 different opinions. :rolleyes:

In general, pellet grills/smokers do not produce an intense smoke flavor; it tends to be a bit more subtle. People who have used stick burners and charcoal smokers in the past will notice a reduced smokiness with pellets.

Cook temperature also plays a significant role in smoke flavor on a pellet grill/smoker. Low and slow cooks (225F and below) will generate more smokiness. Hot and fast cooks (300F and above) will not produce much smokiness.

So, what you cook will usually determine how you cook it and how you cook it (hot ‘n fast or low ‘n slow) will have a significant impact on how much smoke flavor you get.

Then, as mentioned by @TheRicker above, the type of pellets you use will also impact the smoke flavor. Mesquite and Hickory will generate the strongest smoke flavor while oak, alder, fruit woods and blends will generate comparatively less. A little experimenting will get you to where you want to be, flavor wise.

As others have said, my wife is not a fan of smoke. So I keep it light for most of my cooks. When I want something heavily smoked I will put my smoke tube in and run it at a lower temperature for a while.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back