Beef Plate Ribs...I found them!!!

OK Beth, I'm all in.
RD is still open to the public (even though the big sign says "Not Open to the Public") for a day pass. I asked how long and the door person said "for the pandemic". I read a news article online and they said biz is down for them and they are seeking new customers. So, until they can survive on their biz-to-biz customers again.

So, I go into the cold room (big), and start looking around. Steaks, briskets, roasts. No ribs. Found the department manager. He went right to them, opened a big big box and pulled out a big pack of 4 plates of 3 rib plates. 22 lbs.

I might be able to vac pak half. Not sure.

20200529_184038.jpg
20200529_184111.jpg

Waiting to learn the path from you...
Well...two schools of thought. Low and Slow @ 225 to 190 (spritzing once an hour once the bark forms). Wrap in peach paper to about 203. Rest in cooler about an hour. My other option is 275 and then do basically the same thing. When I did the 4 bone chuck rib plate I did the low and slow and loved it because there is always smoke. I don't get much smoke at 275. I'm leaning towards going around 235 for fun. Wrap at 190. Last time I did the 4 bone it took like 12 hours! Hopefully this speeds it up an hour or so.

I have already trimmed the plate and salted it. It's in the fridge unwrapped. I do that when I cook steak. The salt brings out the moisture in the meat but then it gets reabsorbed into the meat. So it brings a lot of flavor. I will rub with Louisiana Hot Sauce (Aaron Franklin does that). I did that with the tri-tip and loved the little tang it gives it. I will use Meathead's beef rub that I made using his recipe. And then a little Schwartz's Steak & Beef Spice (The original Montreal Seasoning in Canada). The last rub is all texture which I like to add.

I'm starting as soon as I get up in the morning.

Well...two schools of thought. Low and Slow @ 225 to 190 (spritzing once an hour once the bark forms). Wrap in peach paper to about 203. Rest in cooler about an hour. My other option is 275 and then do basically the same thing. When I did the 4 bone chuck rib plate I did the low and slow and loved it because there is always smoke. I don't get much smoke at 275. I'm leaning towards going around 235 for fun. Wrap at 190. Last time I did the 4 bone it took like 12 hours! Hopefully this speeds it up an hour or so.

I have already trimmed the plate and salted it. It's in the fridge unwrapped. I do that when I cook steak. The salt brings out the moisture in the meat but then it gets reabsorbed into the meat. So it brings a lot of flavor. I will rub with Louisiana Hot Sauce (Aaron Franklin does that). I did that with the tri-tip and loved the little tang it gives it. I will use Meathead's beef rub that I made using his recipe. And then a little Schwartz's Steak & Beef Spice (The original Montreal Seasoning in Canada). The last rub is all texture which I like to add.

I'm starting as soon as I get up in the morning.

Sounds like a great plan. I too, was thinking low n slow. I've been having good results a lot of things starting at LO/180 for an hour or two, then up to 225F to poke tender. I did some pork country style ribs today that way and the neighbor and my wife loved em.

I may steal that LHS rub idea. I'll checkout Meathead's rub. I think I may go no wrap, unless the bark gets too dark.

I'm thinking 2 parts mesquite (LJ) and 1 part oak (RT Ult Blend).

I was wondering about the pellets. To date I have only used Rec Tec. But I have about five or six different lumberjack varieties. I was thinking hickory but not a hundred percent sure. I have to vacuum out what I have in there now to do that. Or just add the other flavor. I also was thinking about mesquite.

Beth,
If you have used mesquite and like the flavor, it's a great way to add a spicy taste. Some people don't like it. I have drifted away from hickory, but it has a classic flavor, although I do have a big bag of it. The rectec Ult Blend is oak, which is classic TX beef. But, I first got turned to mesquite after reading an article about a TX BBQ joint that did their beef with mesquite. I've been hooked since.

Maybe I'll add a bit of Mesquite to the Hickory. Are you going for this today?

I didn't prep last night, so I think I'll prep today and try to get mine on at maybe 4-5am tomorrow. I'm still making a plan. Not sure if I'm cutting individually before or doing a whole plate. From what Meathead said in his blog, individual is his preference. More bark and quicker cook. Evidently, there's enough fat and bulk to keep from drying out even if individual. Still, there's an attraction to having a big piece of meat in the pit. Maybe one each way. LOL.

I would definitely try them both ways. That's the fun of this. I haven't actually seen any videos of them cut. But I'm sure their out there. I'll be really interested in how they turn out.

Lookin good.

I started prep. Going with "both" individual and slab. Tip/common sense: trim the silverskin cap while as a slab. (nicked my finger today). Boy, these ribs are HUGE! A lucky neighbor is going to get a treat. (I've been giving a little BBQ to neighbors lately. Who says you can't buy friends? :cool: )

After seeing the marbling and interstitual silverskin, I'm going to ensure the temperature and time it takes to get
P_20200530_111900_LL.jpg
P_20200530_115622_LL.jpg
P_20200530_120021_LL.jpg
P_20200530_120416_LL.jpg
P_20200530_122031_LL.jpg
P_20200530_124950_LL.jpg
rendered.

I ended up using some smoked kosher salt I made a couple months ago for the dry brine. Still considering the rub. I'll probably come up with my own mix, less the salt, since the dry brine should be enough.

My cryovac had 4 slabs/22lbs. I am cooking 2 of them. The other 2, I was able to squeeze into a full width Foodsaver tube bag to freeze for another time. But it was a press fit. I double seal.

Lookin good.

I started prep. Going with "both" individual and slab. Tip/common sense: trim the silverskin cap while as a slab. (nicked my finger today). Boy, these ribs are HUGE! A lucky neighbor is going to get a treat. (I've been giving a little BBQ to neighbors lately. Who says you can't buy friends? :cool: )

After seeing the marbling and interstitual silverskin, I'm going to ensure the temperature and time it takes to get View attachment 4437View attachment 4438View attachment 4439View attachment 4440View attachment 4441View attachment 4442rendered.

I ended up using some smoked kosher salt I made a couple months ago for the dry brine. Still considering the rub. I'll probably come up with my own mix, less the salt, since the dry brine should be enough.

My cryovac had 4 slabs/22lbs. I am cooking 2 of them. The other 2, I was able to squeeze into a full width Foodsaver tube bag to freeze for another time. But it was a press fit. I double seal.
OMG looks great, please let us know the results.

OMG looks great, please let us know the results.
Exciting! I am really curious about the cut ribs. Pics are great. That may be the way to go. I'm 5 hours in now. It's looking great. I did use a mixture of 80% hickory and 20% mesquite.

I treat my neighbors to food also. Can't possibly eat the amount of food I cook.

Of the four plates, only one got into the vacuumed sealed bags. I used the large ones, and even made my own. I got 3 in, and 2 poked through. It was a workout getting them in only to waste about 6 bags and exhaust myself. Did the best I could wrapping them and freezing the other 3.

Wine looks nice. Are you drinking already? ;)

Exciting! I am really curious about the cut ribs. Pics are great. That may be the way to go. I'm 5 hours in now. It's looking great. I did use a mixture of 80% hickory and 20% mesquite.

I treat my neighbors to food also. Can't possibly eat the amount of food I cook.

Of the four plates, only one got into the vacuumed sealed bags. I used the large ones, and even made my own. I got 3 in, and 2 poked through. It was a workout getting them in only to waste about 6 bags and exhaust myself. Did the best I could wrapping them and freezing the other 3.

Wine looks nice. Are you drinking already? ;) (y) :rolleyes:

Wine looks nice. Are you drinking already? ;)
7 hours in...168F

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_145448.jpg
    IMG_20200530_145448.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 68

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back