Best pellets for brisket?

Hawkeye 16

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Going to throw a brisket on this weekend. Right now I have LJ pure hickory in, but was wondering what the crowd thought about best pellets for a brisket? Not sure if LJ had a 100% pecan but it seems the pure wood pellets burn better then the blends.

Well, I use Hickory (Bear Mountain) for all of my brisket cooks and like the results. That said, it is all a matter of personal taste and experience. If I had to use something other than Hickory, I guess it would be Pecan or Mesquite. Sometimes, Mesquite can have a bitter flavor profile, however.

Going to throw a brisket on this weekend. Right now I have LJ pure hickory in, but was wondering what the crowd thought about best pellets for a brisket? Not sure if LJ had a 100% pecan but it seems the pure wood pellets burn better then the blends.
I have used LJ 100% hickory for brisket and been pleased. Their pecan is a blend of 40% pecan and 60% oak.

Off topic... just wanted to say hi as a former Davenport resident. I retired from Deere Corp back in '19, and my wife and I now reside in Dallas. Anyway, good luck with your cook. And JMO, but to be honest, I can't tell much of a difference between any of the pellets in terms of flavor - some, but not much. But hey... that's just me.

Off topic... just wanted to say hi as a former Davenport resident. I retired from Deere Corp back in '19, and my wife and I now reside in Dallas. Anyway, good luck with your cook. And JMO, but to be honest, I can't tell much of a difference between any of the pellets in terms of flavor - some, but not much. But hey... that's just me.

No, it’s not just you.

I use Hickory for everything. Mostly Bear Mountain which uses Oak or Alder as a base wood along with the Hickory. I think Lumberjack is the only or one of the very few suppliers that have 100% Hickory.

I use Hickory for everything. Mostly Bear Mountain which uses Oak or Alder as a base wood along with the Hickory. I think Lumberjack is the only or one of the very few suppliers that have 100% Hickory.
Correct. At least on their single flavored pellets. LJ are the Best over all imo. Bear Mountain is my #2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back