Brand of Pellets

Ray

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
What brand of pellets is everyone using and why do you like them? Also what flavors

I started with the Rec Tec pellets (200lbs in bundle order). They are actually great all-around pellets. I then read a lot about how good Lumberjack pellets were, so I got in on a group buy (only Dick's here sells LJ, which I don't support), and ordered 520lbs.

I like the LJ pellets a lot because they produce more smoke, and a more enhanced smoke flavor. I believe this is because they include the bark when produced. You can read up on the process. They do produce more ash than the Rec Tec pellets do.

My LJ flavor selections are broad, and I only use the 100% LJ varieties, no blends. I like pecan or apple for chicken. I like mesquite for all beef cooked, and hickory for all pork cooked.

That being said, I have had great luck with chicken and beef cooked with hickory too, and pork cooked with cherry. Some people say that they can't discern between the wood flavors. It is subtle, but the differences are still there when gifted with a keen sense of smell and taste.

Thanks Grilltreats I have used RT pellets ,B&B ,Grean Mountain and have been wanting to try lumberjack so thank for the info. I sure hope others chime in on this.

When I got my RT in Nov. I ordered the 5 bag package they offered. They sent Perfect Mix pellets (though in pics I've seen different labeling that looked like their own branding). I assume they might be the same product just differences in packaging. So far I like the blend of hickory, maple, apple, and cherry, gives a slight sweetness which works with pork and chicken fairly well. I've got a bin loaded with hickory chunks, apple from a tree I cut, and some pecan, alder, mesquite (I use these in the kamado) so I figure if I want to push the flavor profile around I can do it with an added smoke tube or box. While RT claims their supplied pellets are supposed to be low ash, I get what I think of as more than that from the perfect mix. I'll attach a pic of what I vacuumed out after three cooks totaling around 10 hours.

Ray, how did you like the B&B? I see H-E-B sells those, though the store we shop only has 8# bags so might not buy there after testing them.

I just loaded the pit with my last bag of cookingpellets.com Perfect Mix. This has been my favorite, but hard for me to get. The other brand I use the most is Pit Boss comp blend. Mostly because it is the easiest for me to get here in NJ.

When I got my Rec Tec Bull pellet grill I also get 3 bags of the Rec Tec Ultimate blend as well as two bags of the Cookingpellets.com perfect mix.

Of the two so far I like the Ultimate blend better.

Rural King sells Lumber Jack pellets and we have one about 20 minutes from here. My plans are to buy a few bags and give them a try next as I've heard great results from them.

I buy LJ also, recommended by a friend. They work out very well and available thru amazon, AND at some Sams Club. I primarily use the blend, pecan and cherry due to my wifes preference for a more mild smoke. Note: Again at the urging of my friend I use 2 extenal smoke generators that are wonderful to flood the unit with great smoke. I really enjoy this smoker and the setup, as do friends and family.

I use Cookingpellets.com brand.
The perfect mix is a great choice.
Also my brother in law is a distributor for cookingpellets.com here in Lewiston NY

I almost got a Smoke Daddy when I first got my RT pit. I was so use to the bitter smoke flavor from the Kamado Joe, and the smoke flavor profile on the RT seemed really week to me. I too add wood chunks to the KJ pit. After getting use to the RT smoke using LJ 100% pellets, I am happy with the RT smoke flavors now. I don't even bother with the smoke tube anymore either.

The thing I like about the RT smoke flavor is that I can taste the rubs and sauces much better now. I do still cook on the KJ occasionally. Mostly steaks, peppers (for the char) and pork chops. It's still nice to have the KJ around for something different when I want more smoke, but prefer the RT overall.

I got tired of Rural King being a crapshoot as to what they had that day.

I think we ended up at like $6.50 per 20lb with a group buy

How do you like the Char Hickory compared to 100% hickory?
I love the flavor profile. I personally think it creates a little more ash as well so I vacuum out more often. I think the Char/Hickory gives you more of a traditional charcoal taste with the hickory smoke flavor. It does really well for searing.

I started with the Rec Tec pellets (200lbs in bundle order). They are actually great all-around pellets. I then read a lot about how good Lumberjack pellets were, so I got in on a group buy (only Dick's here sells LJ, which I don't support), and ordered 520lbs.

I like the LJ pellets a lot because they produce more smoke, and a more enhanced smoke flavor. I believe this is because they include the bark when produced. You can read up on the process. They do produce more ash than the Rec Tec pellets do.

My LJ flavor selections are broad, and I only use the 100% LJ varieties, no blends. I like pecan or apple for chicken. I like mesquite for all beef cooked, and hickory for all pork cooked.

That being said, I have had great luck with chicken and beef cooked with hickory too, and pork cooked with cherry. Some people say that they can't discern between the wood flavors. It is subtle, but the differences are still there when gifted with a keen sense of smell and taste.

If prices were the same, what would you choose....cookingpellets or lumberjack?

Thanks Grilltreats I have used RT pellets ,B&B ,Grean Mountain and have been wanting to try lumberjack so thank for the info. I sure hope others chime in on this.
I was a stick burner for over 15 years until I bought my Rec tec. I love it. Woods with bark should be avoided. Impurities are in the bark. When I used chunks or logs I only used de-barked wood

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrzBBQ
Back