Burn in temp issue

whopper

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So doing the hour long burn in right now with setpoint of 400. The actual temperature got up to 440 after approximately 15 minutes into it. The temperature is now back to 402 after 28 minutes and holding right now. Is this normal? Or should I be worried?

So now I am 40 minutes into the burning and it is holding at 400. I think I’m going to run it an extra hour just to make sure though.

Just for clarity, is your concern that your Stampede climbed above your set point temp briefly? If so, I've seen my Bull and my Traeger pellet smokers overshoot the target temp initially before settling closer to the set temp. That does not concern me at all.

My own personal bigger concern would be whether or not the control panel's reported temps are representative of the actual pit temp. My Bull reported temps that I feel were inaccurate (a judgement that I concluded based on comparison against a third party temp probe). To compensate, I performed an offset adjustment, which in my opinion is still not accurate across the full temperature spectrum (a given offset that's accurate at lower temps is not accurate at higher temps and vice versa). But a part of my enjoyment with using outdoor cookers is that some human intervention and experience is necessary.

Welcome here, and congrats on your Stampede!

It's best to set it and forget it. (Monitor but don't mess)
Meaning, RecTec has a "algorithm" and a system that adjusts itself. So as an example if you open the lid because you feel it's too hot, and the temperature drops to rapidly for the system, that could actually make it even hotter when you close the lid because, the system thinks it's losing temp and adjusts to keep up. First run always seems kinda weird in general I think as well. I'm not saying you did this, But I have set mine to lowest extreme smoke mode, and then tried to vent the lid in order to help it get closer to that 180° It doesn't work past a certain temp. It cause the fan to run and increase temp. Seems like the best way to help is opening the lid just a inch or two and letting it subtly lower a little.
Do the probe sync techniques on YouTube or in this forum*, and then enjoy!!
(I have the Bull not stampede)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back