Butcher paper

I usually inject my briskets with beef stock so I don't throw anything else in when wrapping, but I know a lot of people use tallow, more beef stock, etc. I try to keep brisket as simple as possible and preserve the bark integrity as much as possible.

When I wrap pork ribs, I may play around with honey, brown sugar, etc. I don't have a master plan. I do plenty of pork ribs with no wrap at all. It depends on what flavor profile I'm aiming for.

I've given up wrapping pork shoulders. I do cook pork shoulders on a rack in a pan to save and add back juices when pulling. Basically the same net result, but I don't have to get up in the middle of the night and wrap.

I found wrapping beef plate ribs inhibited the rendering of the plentiful fat and created a greasy product, in my opinion.

I'm sure you'll get many opinions on this topic and frankly I doubt any of them would be wrong.

When wrapping with Butcher paper do you add what ever ingredients when wrapping like you would with aluminum foil, things like butter, hone, brown sugar ect..
I wrap differently, depending on what I’m cooking. Pork, especially ribs, get rapped in foil with additions like pats of butter and Red Clay hot honey sauce. Briskets just get wrapped with pink butcher paper. I’ve not (yet) tried the tallow foil boats for brisket, but some think they are the next best thing for briskets.

The short answer is yes. For me butcher paper does not wrap very tight so I cut it big and try to have the outside edge fold under the side I want on the bottom, it’ll make more sense when you try it. I have no problem putting butter, brn sugar, and such in with the meat, just need to think it through a bit. I’m not a tallow or other stock so no experience with that in paper. The closest I get is honey are a few spritzes of whatever.

have never wrapped a butt so no help there either.

The short answer is yes. For me butcher paper does not wrap very tight so I cut it big and try to have the outside edge fold under the side I want on the bottom, it’ll make more sense when you try it. I have no problem putting butter, brn sugar, and such in with the meat, just need to think it through a bit. I’m not a tallow or other stock so no experience with that in paper. The closest I get is honey are a few spritzes of whatever.

have never wrapped a butt so no help there either.
Do you do that with ribs

Great question and I think to responses will be all over the map. I wrap briskets with peach paper but I use additional Wagyu tallow on the protein and “paint” the pink paper generously. I also inject the flat with a combo of of unsalted butter, hot sauce (your choice) and beef stock until it puffs up about 1/2-3/4”. I don’t do anything to the point. I have found this method keeps the flat moist. If the flat is looking thin, I double wrap it for the first 1 or 2 hours to give the point a head start on the cooking process. For ribs, my preferred method includes the foil technique with added ingredients. I‘ve also wrapped the ribs in peach paper but found it didn’t change much unless I was trying to control overcooking and get a better competition bite. At the end of the day, experiment a little (that’s why ribs come 2 or 3 rackes to the pack, lol). I’ve had 6 slabs cooking at one time with 4 different methods just to see what the outcome was like. When it comes to my favorite, butts, I use peach paper and put them in a half size foil pan. This allows the bark to stay firm but collects all the great juices for use in my home made BBQ sauce.

Good luck with the cooks, perhaps you will discover an unknown technique you can share in the future.

With brisket I usually just wrap, if I think it is needed I may add salt and pepper or whatever seasoning I am layering but usually only if I think too much got rubbed of when placing on the grill. I have also added fresh herbs. On other thing’s mostly pork I have added thin sliced onion, fruit, herbs, brown sugar, some kind of fat or about anything I am in the mood to add.

Yes; Smoked Tallow on Beef and the Pink Paper
Smoked Lard on Pork and on the Foil when I wrap
Here's our latest Pork Butt getting its Smoked Lard Bath:
April '23 Pork Butt 5.JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back