Wireless probes wrapped in butcher paper?

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I’m doing a brisket tomorrow and plan to use my new Meater 2+ wireless probes. I have been wondering if there’s any problem with leaving the probes in when wrapping the brisket in pink butcher paper at the stall? With the probes now rated for ambient temps to 1,000F and also being waterproof, I can’t see an issue but am wondering if smarter minds than mine see any potential issues.

Thoughts?

I can’t think of why it would be a problem. But, if you aren’t sure you could always poke them through the paper. That is what I do when I wrap brisket in AL foil. But, I do it in hopes that thermometer can still communicate with block. Paper shouldn’t be a a problem in that respect.

I can’t think of why it would be a problem. But, if you aren’t sure you could always poke them through the paper. That is what I do when I wrap brisket in AL foil. But, I do it in hopes that thermometer can still communicate with block. Paper shouldn’t be a a problem in that respect.
I thought about that, @AlphaPapa, but that would require pulling them out before wrapping and then poking two more holes in the brisket to re-insert them. I’m hoping to avoid the additional holes in the protein.

I can see where foil might be an issue with connectivity, but as you say, I don’t think paper would be an issue. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow.

I thought about that, @AlphaPapa, but that would require pulling them out before wrapping and then poking two more holes in the brisket to re-insert them. I’m hoping to avoid the additional holes in the protein.

I can see where foil might be an issue with connectivity, but as you say, I don’t think paper would be an issue. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow.
I always spritz the butcher paper with water and then wrap tightly around what I am cooking. If you do not want to remove the probes why not just poke them through the butcher paper when wrapping?

I'd just wrap them and poke another hole in the meat within the same vicinity. If the temperature matches close or the same as before was wrapped.......you're good to go. :)

Wrapped the brisket in butcher paper a few minutes ago and all seems to be well; signals getting through and reporting to app.

On another tack, I have a ways to go before I understand the Meater 2+ cook prediction. It seems to recalculate frequently with significant changes in completion time even though cook temperature has remained stable. I think it will take some getting used to. That was a strong point for the CI probes; I found them pretty accurate on predictions without major recalculations.

Wrapped the brisket in butcher paper a few minutes ago and all seems to be well; signals getting through and reporting to app.

On another tack, I have a ways to go before I understand the Meater 2+ cook prediction. It seems to recalculate frequently with significant changes in completion time even though cook temperature has remained stable. I think it will take some getting used to. That was a strong point for the CI probes; I found them pretty accurate on predictions without major recalculations.
The recalculation is inevitable. When you wrap you are trapping heat and steam. As the steam starts to dissipate, you may find better accuracy and stability in the readings.

Our daughter and son-in-law just left after a brisket dinner, so I can finally post my results. The Meater 2+ probes worked fine, even when wrapped in pink butcher paper. That said, I’m still trying to figure out the cook prediction and temp tracking.

Apparently, the predictive algorithm builds in a rest period. I used the pre-programmed brisket algorithm and it set 203F as the recommended IT. At 195F, the M2+ said my cook was complete and I was entering a one-hour-plus rest period. I probed the protein and it felt just a little tight. At 198F, the probe slid in like it was going into warm butter and I pulled the brisket from the grill.

After a 90-minute rest, I sliced the brisket and, while tender, it was a bit dry. There was no discernible temperature carry-over when checked with my TW ThermePen One which I thought was odd. Not sure what to make of all this.

The cook was done in three stages: 2 hours at 180F, 4 hours at 225F and the last three hours at 250F to reach the 198F IT I recorded. That’s a relatively normal cook for me on a 10# brisket (that was actually closer to 8.5# after trimming). Could just have been a sub-par prisket, but the marbling sure looked good.

Here’s the result.

IMG_2707.jpeg

The end of the flat was cut as burnt ends because it was overdone—even at 198F. A little Stubbs BBQ Sauce made it palatable. Note the probe hole in the photo above. :unsure:

IMG_2708.jpeg

Certainly not my best effort, though it had great flavor. And, the family humored me by saying they liked it, but they like most any free meal. 🤣

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back