Chewy Wings 0-400 Method

SmokinBourbon

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Used the 0-400 method many times on my RT-1250 for smaller batches of wings, say 10-30, and its worked great! The issue is when I get into the higher numbers I get A LOT of smoke and therefore the wings end up chewy and off-putting, certainly not crispy like the smaller batches.

Anyone else have this problem and if so how did you combat it? I have a thought to use a second layer of foil on the heat shield leaving a gap to act as an insulator of sorts so the drippings don't smoke up. Maybe put foil on the shelves? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Wait until it hits 275. The recteq chefs have said many times don't go below 275 for thighs, drum sticks and wings if do don't want rubbery skin.

So I certainly agree that low and slow isn't the thing to do for wings but I smoke throughout the cook when I cook that many wings, even when riding at 400, due to the drippings. I'll certainly try going straight to 275 to begin with, can't hurt.

0-400 is my bacon technique (in the oven).
400 - is the proper dark meat technique. I've had the overstuffed grill issue too, 10 minute batches in the air fryer @ 425* makes it better. I can only do about 20 wings at a time in the oven so that is just a fix, not really the technique I'm going for. If you figure the air-fryer time, it wouldn't be much different than doing 2 batches on the smoker.

Just a thought b/c I'm guessing you do this method for smoke flavor?

My method is 2 hours at low (180) and then crank up to 425 to finish. Spray with cooking spray or preferrable is duck fat spray on both sides. Works great for me everytime.

Have you tried Meat Church's super crunchy wings receipe where they are double fried? Those are insane how crunchy they come out. It was a lot of work however no doubt the crunchiest wings I've ever had.

So I tried starting at 275. I can see how that'll help with things being rubbery and chewy. They ended up a little too crunchy but I'll reduce the time.

Flavor ended up the same so that's good!

Lot of good information here. My own way of combatting this is to pre-smoke them with a Smoke tube for about 45min. Then crank it straight to 275, and finish at 400.

Lot of good information here. My own way of combatting this is to pre-smoke them with a Smoke tube for about 45min. Then crank it straight to 275, and finish at 400.
So I think my issue is the quantity. When I fill the 1250 with wings all of the drippings hit the heat shield and then smoke causing it to REALLY smoke the entire time.

If I do just a few then no problem at all. Do the whole thing holy smokes.

I tried the method in the videos posted here and had great success with just a few. Time will tell when I go to cook a whole batch of them.

What's the 0-400 method?
0-400 method is when you put the winds on a cold grill and turn it on to 400. The times vary but I've seen up to 30 minutes in the first side while the grill is heating up then another 30. I've tried less and been fine depending on the quantity I'm cooking. The smoke and rubbery issue I speak of comes from large quantities of wings dripping into the heat deflector and smoking more than needed.

Just a thought b/c I'm guessing you do this method for smoke flavor?

My method is 2 hours at low (180) and then crank up to 425 to finish. Spray with cooking spray or preferrable is duck fat spray on both sides. Works great for me everytime.
I do this as well…an hour of intense smoke, then put the temp at 350 till they are done. The skin is not rubbery at all. I buy the big bag at Costco and fill my smoker up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back