Chopped Brisket

Backnblack

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Does anyone change anything when they are smoking a brisket for chopped bs sliced???

No, but whats chopped bs sliced mean?
I may know, perhaps not. But I had never heard of chopped brisket until a Buc-ee’s opened 5 miles from me earlier this year. Not a fan. To be fair, they have more than one option for how the brisket is served, but based on what I got I’m not a fan.

I’ll try to speak southern for you since I am originally from NC, haha. Chopped beef (in the UK they sometimes call it chipped) will remind you of chopped pork versus pulled pork. The knife work theoretically gives you more uniform pieces that are easier to sauce and digest especially of you are tooth count challenged. Chopped beef is very popular in senior centers as they minimize the possibility of choking. From a smoking perspective, sliced beef does not seem to absorb the sauces as readily and sliced beef is usually drizzled with sauce on top, not integrated into the actual beef‘s structure (think saturation). Just my thoughts, hopefully others will chime in.

Does anyone change anything when they are smoking a brisket for chopped bs sliced???
Backnblack,
I usually pull the brisket a little earlier (~190F for chopped vs ~198F) than for traditional brisket and found it will absorb sauces (if used) better. If you keep riding the heat, you may risk having an overdone/drier results. This is especially true if you plan on reheating your product.

At a local (now out of biz) joint, they used to "chop" the unsold dry brisket from the day before.
Roanie,

You just nailed the reason I am always apprehensive about fancy food that requires a sauce. It can be the perfect way to reduce spoilage and waste. Yesterdays meatloaf can become a lot of things if you use the right coverings. Great point for chopped beef. It can be BBQ or SOS in your MREs, haha.

My take on “chopped brisket” is that it is some kind of a salvage operation. It is either poor quality meat to start with, or it is undercooked or overcooked and can’t be served sliced. Same goes for thin-sliced brisket. I like my brisket sliced about 3/8” thick, thank you.

Any brisket I run across that needs chopping goes into the chili pot. :rolleyes:

My take on “chopped brisket” is that it is some kind of a salvage operation.

I've seen a brisket placed in a oven bag with liquid (not sure what) and then placed back on the smoker for 33 or 4 hours. then chopped up and served like pulled pork sandwiches. So I know some make it on purpose. Was just curious if anyone does that (or will admit they do it).

I’m assuming you meant 3 or 4 hours. If so, it works similar to bagging turkeys and keeps the splatter levels down and allows for pretty good entrapment of the steam and moisture. This trick is especially useful since the marbling in a chuck roast or brisket is somewhat limited in quantity and once fully rendered, won’t add any additional moisture or flavor but can dry out quickly. It is a way to recirculate the juices. It actually works well. For most of my cooks, I still wrap but much tighter because our cookers have decent moisture containment by design. That method allows me to replicate some old southern recipes my ancestor's used when they had pot-belly stoves without any kind of controls. In NC you will see chopped chicken, chopped and pulled pork, chopped and pulled venison, and chopped and pulled beef. Heck, I’ve even had chopped raccoon and it was really good.

I too have taken leftover slices and "chopped" (more like diced/shredded) and made brisket chili with it.

Sorry @SmokeZilla, I've got absolutely nothing to add about chopped raccoon, nor do I think I ever will.

I too have taken leftover slices and "chopped" (more like diced/shredded) and made brisket chili with it.

Sorry @SmokeZilla, I've got absolutely nothing to add about chopped raccoon, nor do I think I ever will.
Pacman,

You should actually try it. It is a little oily but not overwhelmingly so. It can be boiled before it is roasted or fried (similar to the way your prepare pork intestines (i.e., chitterlings or chitlins as we say in the south). If you have ever had squirrel mixed with ’gator tail, it will remind you of the combination. I prefer mine with a lot of pepper because it absorbs well but isn’t too spicy.
Ya’ll come on over for some supper. lol.

Pacman,

You should actually try it. It is a little oily but not overwhelmingly so. It can be boiled before it is roasted or fried (similar to the way your prepare pork intestines (i.e., chitterlings or chitlins as we say in the south). If you have ever had squirrel mixed with ’gator tail, it will remind you of the combination. I prefer mine with a lot of pepper because it absorbs well but isn’t too spicy.
Ya’ll come on over for some supper. lol.
Sorry, no road kill special of the day for me either! I did eat squirrel as a youngster. I don’t really remember what it tasted like. I do remember having to pick out the shotgun pellets, though.

Sorry, no road kill special of the day for me either! I did eat squirrel as a youngster. I don’t really remember what it tasted like. I do remember having to pick out the shotgun pellets, though.
Used to eat Squirrel Jambalaya as a kid in Louisiana was alway good or I was just hungry.

For a barbecue, no chopped brisket for me. Sliced is just way better than chopping it to smithereens.
We have a Buc-Eee’s that opened 7 miles from me earlier this year. We stopped in the first week they were open and I ordered a brisket sandwich. I didn’t have a clue that there were options. The brisket was chopped and the sugar sauce was heavy! I’ve been back often for gas, not for brisket!

We have a Buc-Eee’s that opened 7 miles from me earlier this year. We stopped in the first week they were open and I ordered a brisket sandwich. I didn’t have a clue that there were options. The brisket was chopped and the sugar sauce was heavy! I’ve been back often for gas, not for brisket!
Hopefully not gas from the brisket?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back