Curing salt with Beef Jerky?

Tom H.

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Should I use curing salt with beef jerky? If yes how much and do you alter the recipe?

I use Allegro marinade on beef jerky. Marinade for 4-12 hours and smoke for 4-6 hours depending on thickness. Adding a little pepper as it smokes. Never had a need for curing salt. With 2 boys in the house, never gets more than 2-3 days before its gone.

I was under the impression that curing is more for when you dehydrate rather than cook. The recipe I use does not call for cure, and like Justin it's not around for more than a couple days anyway.

I use the first recipe here, with some extra hot chili powder from the Asian market and with honey.

Last edited:
I've never used curing salts for jerky. But I keep my jerky in the fridge except when traveling. For a few years, I made a lot of jerky for a week long horse ride. It was unrefrigerated for the entire week in warm weather. I just made sure it was pretty dry. I made one 1 gal ziplok bag full for each trail day. It never molded and the other riders swarmed me when I pulled it out of my saddle bags. If you keep it in a plastic bag, keep it in a cool or out of the sun, place, because it will build moisture in the bag. Breathable bags like paper are probably better as it will continue to dry and not build moisture in the plastic bag.

Last edited:
Should I use curing salt with beef jerky? If yes how much and do you alter the recipe?
I use this stuff. Followed instructions exactly and it turned out a little salty for my taste. I use about 1/2 cup for every 2-quarts of water. I’ve used it “as is” as well as tossed in pepper after brining, both are good. Cabela’s also offers other flavors

image.jpg
image.jpg

Guess I fell asleep at the keyboard! I have never used cure for my jerky but I smoke/cook it
so don't feel the need. Might give it a different/good flavor though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back