Bull Decision - Access to Bull hopper

I would like to get a RT-700 Bull, but I have one hesitation. It's about access, the ease or difficulty, to the rear hopper in the Bull.

Here's my situation ... Whatever grill I get will need to go in a certain spot on my covered screened in patio. I live in south Florida near the coast, so humidity is going to be an issue with any pellets remaining in the hopper or auger for any extended period of time. So, I would like to be able to frequently clean out the pellets in the hopper. My plan is to use one of those bucket wet/dry vacs. BUT, the intended location on the patio is up against the patio screen and I would only be able to reach the hopper from the front (over the top), or from the controller side of the grill.

My question for those with Bull experience is ... How big of a pain would it be have to frequently access the Bull hopper (either from the front or from the controller side) to load pellets or vacuum them out?

I've done searches on the forum about choosing between the RT-700 or the RT-590 and learned a lot, but my concern about access to the hopper is the only thing keeping me from choosing the RT-700. If it will be a pain for me with the RT-700, I will have to go with the RT-590. Thank you for any insight you might have.
It’s on wheels.

Buy the competition cart, currently at 50% off, and you can easily move the grill w/ one hand. It will be simple to move to one side to access the hopper.

I would like to get a RT-700 Bull, but I have one hesitation. It's about access, the ease or difficulty, to the rear hopper in the Bull.

Here's my situation ... Whatever grill I get will need to go in a certain spot on my covered screened in patio. I live in south Florida near the coast, so humidity is going to be an issue with any pellets remaining in the hopper or auger for any extended period of time. So, I would like to be able to frequently clean out the pellets in the hopper. My plan is to use one of those bucket wet/dry vacs. BUT, the intended location on the patio is up against the patio screen and I would only be able to reach the hopper from the front (over the top), or from the controller side of the grill.

My question for those with Bull experience is ... How big of a pain would it be have to frequently access the Bull hopper (either from the front or from the controller side) to load pellets or vacuum them out?

I've done searches on the forum about choosing between the RT-700 or the RT-590 and learned a lot, but my concern about access to the hopper is the only thing keeping me from choosing the RT-700. If it will be a pain for me with the RT-700, I will have to go with the RT-590. Thank you for any insight you might have.
I am only 5’9” and tend to load my RT-700 from front frequently with no issue. I hinge hopper lid open against an outdoor umbrella post behind my Bull which keeps the hopper lid upright (around 90 degrees) and keeps the lid from flipping the full open 180 degrees. A wall would do similar. I only do mass loads this way before I cook so not to burn myself or melt a bag when resting on barrel as I pour them in. Otherwise I top off using a scooper. I don’t have competition cart though not sure if that would raise it up.

I am only 5’9” and tend to load my RT-700 from front frequently with no issue. I hinge hopper lid open against an outdoor umbrella post behind my Bull which keeps the hopper lid upright (around 90 degrees) and keeps the lid from flipping the full open 180 degrees. A wall would do similar. I only do mass loads this way before I cook so not to burn myself or melt a bag when resting on barrel as I pour them in. Otherwise I top off using a scooper. I don’t have competition cart though not sure if that would raise it up.
In the RT-700 Competition Cart details page it says the cart "Increases height of RT-700 by 1.5." The cart sure rolls around nicely with ease in all directions and has wheel brakes on all four wheels.

I have a 700 and it’s built into my outdoor kitchen. I don’t have any issues with the rear hopper and that was one of the reasons I chose it. I Like the fact that it keeps the heat of the drum off the wall so you speak. I have no issues with accessing the hopper and removing pellets when I want to change pellet flavors. I usually leave pellets in there and haven’t had any issues with moisture. I know Florida gets humid but here in NC it’s pretty humid as well.
I'm interested in building mine into an outdoor kitchen too. Did you leave an opening under the fan for it to breath? Any chance you could post pics of how you built it in?
Thanks in advance

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back