Decisions...

bsquared62

Hey everyone, new to the forum and RT but experienced 'smoker'. I started out with an upright Masterbuilt, then moved on to a PitBoss, and now have a Traeger Silverton 620. The Traeger works great - really few complaints. But I am going to give it to my daughter/son-in-law as a housewarming gift, so looking for the next grill. I've been eyeing Recteq for months, and watched several sales come and go, and now with the launch of the new products.

I thought I was going to get a RT-700, but that is no more. The Deck Boss is smaller than my current unit (so I am hesitant), and the Flagship appears to be the next version (Backyard Beast is developed for the ACE Hardware retail market). I like the Flagship a lot and it seems similar to the RT-700 (albeit $300 more, but bigger). Give me your reasons to not buy another Traeger and reasons why to buy the Flagship (or whatever other model you like).

Hey everyone, new to the forum and RT but experienced 'smoker'. I started out with an upright Masterbuilt, then moved on to a PitBoss, and now have a Traeger Silverton 620. The Traeger works great - really few complaints. But I am going to give it to my daughter/son-in-law as a housewarming gift, so looking for the next grill. I've been eyeing Recteq for months, and watched several sales come and go, and now with the launch of the new products.

I thought I was going to get a RT-700, but that is no more. The Deck Boss is smaller than my current unit (so I am hesitant), and the Flagship appears to be the next version (Backyard Beast is developed for the ACE Hardware retail market). I like the Flagship a lot and it seems similar to the RT-700 (albeit $300 more, but bigger). Give me your reasons to not buy another Traeger and reasons why to buy the Flagship (or whatever other model you like).
You give a lot of discussion on what you are not going to do, but that isn’t especially useful to answer what you are looking for? As well as what you are not getting from the brands you have owned?

You give a lot of discussion on what you are not going to do, but that isn’t especially useful to answer what you are looking for? As well as what you are not getting from the brands you have owned?
Yeah, I can see that take on the post. Apologies for being vague...

The issue with Traeger is the number of crappy posts across the internet - just wondered if this group has the same experience.

What is it that made you choose Recteq initially? What model do you have and why do you like it or not like it? For a great all-around model, is the Flagship a good option?

Welcome to the forum.

I’d keep the Traeger cause you’ve given no reason you don’t like it. I’d buy the kids a DeckBoss cause I’d feel weird giving a used smoker as a gift, the DeckBoss being a good starter size.
LOL, yeah I talked to them about it - not a bad suggestion

I own 5 recteqs, all listed in my profile although I haven’t bought a new recteq in over three years now. I will confess that my primary pellet grill is now a Yoder YS640S, but the price with all the options I added are not cheap. I started with the RT-700. It’s been a great grill-still have it, although I should try to find a new home for it. I would not have any reservation recommending it or one of the variants today. The 1250 looks especially nice with the sliding shelf.

Things I would avoid are anything from recteq that looks like a gimmick. The smoke stone is a gimmick. Clearly recteq doesn’t (yet) understand what griddle fans are looking for.

There are a few folks that have posted here with what I have to assume are legitimate complaints about the grill and/or service, But overwhelming the recteq experience has bee positive for the majority here.

I own 5 recteqs, all listed in my profile although I haven’t bought a new recteq in over three years now. I will confess that my primary pellet grill is now a Yoder YS640S, but the price with all the options I added are not cheap. I started with the RT-700. It’s been a great grill-still have it, although I should try to find a new home for it. I would not have any reservation recommending it or one of the variants today. The 1250 looks especially nice with the sliding shelf.

Things I would avoid are anything from recteq that looks like a gimmick. The smoke stone is a gimmick. Clearly recteq doesn’t (yet) understand what griddle fans are looking for.

There are a few folks that have posted here with what I have to assume are legitimate complaints about the grill and/or service, But overwhelming the recteq experience has bee positive for the majority here.
Had a 590, awesome first smoker from RT but too small for me, sold it and moved to the 1250, only wish there was more room on the top rack like the new 1100. Its a beast, tons of smoke and no issues in over 2 years. B380x is my third, done plenty of low/slow and hot cooks and no complaints either.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder…

I would go with the flagship which is esstenially the new RT-700. I have a Bull or RT-700 from 2019 and still use and love it! The temperature control on "most" RecTeqs is spot on. I say "most" because my Bullseye takes a lot longer to dial in temps than my Bull. Part of that is the size no doubt but another part of the controller.

The flagship comes with the second shelf and I believe also comes with the upgraded faster auger to achieve temps faster. One of my biggest complaints about my Bull is getting up to higher temps(though I mostly user for a smoker) fast. I've "heard" the RT-1250 and assuming the Flagship comes with that faster auger than what I have, the times to achieve higher temps is cut in half is not shorter.

There is higher priced pellet grills like a Yoder, Mak, Pitts and spitts that you may want to look into. From my experience doing a lot of research before I bought my RecTeq, RecTeq seemed to be the best bang for your buck. While I haven't done research in awhile on this topic, I believe that still holds true the best of my knowledge.

Why not Traeger? Well, I have seen their new line at Ace Hardware and while they are nice and I would not knock them, I would say they are overpriced for the materials used in the grill. That being said, if you like Traeger a lot, their newer grills are nice and having the sider induction burner is no doubt a benefit and something I won't mind seeing on a RecTeq in the future.

The one pellet grill besides RecTeq that has caught my eye is the Camp Chef Woodwinds with the ability to put wood chunks over the firepot for added smoke. I really wish RecTeq would do this as most folks I seen on forums(especially those not familiar with pellet grills) are searching for more robust smoke flavor. I do have a Weber Kettle I bought last year when I want that more robust smoke flavor. But I also use a smoke tube on my Bull with wood chips mixed in. The wood chips mixed in make a world of difference. I also have the smokedaddy magnum PIG attached to my RecTeq Bull which adds in smoke flavor and does a real nice job. I just lately have found the difference between using the smokedaddy and a smoke tube is not noticable to my tastes and firing up a smoketube is a lot less work than using my smokedaddy. The smokedaddy I find I have to add in wood chunks/charcoal about every hour which at that point, somewhat defeats the purpose of set it and forget it. The smoke tube usually lasts 3 to 4 hours of extra smoke and don't have to add in every hour like the smokedaddy.

Last edited:
Less is more for me, couldn't be happier with my 590, have also yet to be limited by anything I've cooked in it "room wise". I don't see why to switch away from the Trager if it's been serving you well, and perhaps the latest Pitboss models would be more ideal for your daughter, also less expensive and are pretty damn good for the price these days? As for complaints with any brand, many people like to moan and complain over practically any "inconvenience" that's how I see it all at least. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum.

Less is more for me, couldn't be happier with my 590, have also yet to be limited by anything I've cooked in it "room wise". I don't see why to switch away from the Trager if it's been serving you well, and perhaps the latest Pitboss models would be more ideal for your daughter, also less expensive and are pretty damn good for the price these days? As for complaints with any brand, many people like to moan and complain over practically any "inconvenience" that's how I see it all at least. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum.
Wait a minute, complaints, moaning, groaning, disgruntled owners, on this forum?
No way!

I'm with Motodad on the 590, only been a few weeks that I've had it, but I'm very happy with it and its size so far. The primary grate size(27.5x19.25) is bigger than the silverton (24x18). But no second rack, although you could probably add something to get some more room.
I had a traeger 575 that went to my brother when I switched to gravity feed charcoal. Wasn't long before I regretted getting rid of the traeger. When I went looking for a new pellet grill, considered another traeger but thought the recteq offered nice features at a good price. I considered the flagship too, but opted for the 590 because I didn't want to fire up a big grill for our typically very small meals.
Good luck with your decision. I think your daughter would likely be happy with the Silverton (and very happy if you decide to gift her a 590!)

1070, because it’s all stainless.
Buy a custom heavy duty cover and you’ll be happy.

I bought the RT-700 about 2 years ago. When it’s just my wife and I, it’s too big. However, when the three children who live near us show up with five of our nine living grandchildre, the 700 is perfect. I first looked at pellet grills nearly five years ago when my local Costco in Lehi, Utah was running a Christmas promotion on Traeger grills. Traeger is a local Utah company so I ALMOST bought one on the spot. BUT I’m also somewhat OCD about researching any new big-ticket purchase—a legacy from my career in computer support. Retired and in my mid 60’s, I knew anything I purchased would likely need to last until I shuffled off the stage in 20 to 30 years. I was not impressed with the Traeger’s pot-metal grates and sidewalls, the same as every other barbecue grill I’ve owned. They’re impossible to clean and eventually rust out. Replacement parts are not available after three or four years. So I started looking around on the Internet for something more durable—hopefully with stainless steel or cast iron grates and a more durable body, and a commitment to long-term post-sale support. If I bought cast iron grates, I wanted a product where I could buy replacements if needed. I found Recteq. My son-in-law and daughter were living in Evans, Georgia for some of his medical school rotations. During a visit with grandchildren (their parents are just a side note, you know 😎), my wife and I visited the showroom which was then in Augusta, about five miles from our daughter’s apartment. My wife was impressed, not an easy thing when she usually does not really care about such things. We visited Recteq’s new showroom and warehouse in Evans during a subsequent grandchildren visit. My wife and I talked it over after our return to Utah. We decided to pull the trigger. It took me almost a year after the grill arrived to finally put it together and use it. I was waiting on inspiration for some way to build a custom wheel modification to cope with our yard. The competition cart wouldn’t cut it. Except for December/January, I’ve used the grill at least once a week ever since. I just turned 68 years old. I expect my children will fight over who gets the grill when I’m gone. What I like the most is the temperature control. It can be below freezing and the grill holds the set temperature as well as my kitchen oven. I’ve likened the cooking and baking experience to that of a kitchen stove, though it uses wood pellets instead of natural gas or electricity. When the grates are dirty, I pull them out, throw them in the oven, and run a four hour self-clean cycle. The grill is under a shed overhang which keeps it dry but it is still exposed to the sun and weather. I vacuum the ash from the burn chamber and pot about every 4th or 5th time I change the foil on the grease tray. I keep the internal temperature sensor and light glass clean. I scrape off the worst of the buildup off the inside side walls and top, and occasionally use some ammonia water in a bucket or citrus cleaning spray with a rag to wipe down the sides, it’s not as shiny as when new, and I’m not energetic enough to devote the time or labor needed to keep it pristine. But my wife and I consider this one of the better purchases we’ve ever made.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back