Deck Boss

BadgerFan

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have to say, I'm extremely disappointed in the smoke output on the new Deck Boss. The only smoke being generated is from the smoke tube. I have it at low and there's NOTHING! I'm using pellets from Costco, which I've heard Traeger makes. Anyone else having the same issue?

Pellet grills don’t put out much smoke compared to wood or charcoal, just the nature of the beast, hence the smoke tube If you want more. In my opinion you don’t get as much smoke flavor either. But they are darn convenient.

Correct smoker smoke is a light blue color, not heavy white. The heavy white smoke you see when you first fire it up should dissipate when it warms up.

What temp are you using? Higher temps = less smoke.

I was reverse searing filet mignon at 180 degrees. Also, after 1 hour on low, I went outside and the pellet hopper was FULL of smoke. I couldn’t even see any pellets when I first opened the hopper lid. This is my third RecTeq smoker, and I’ve never experienced anything like that. I was out there probably 3 or 4 times lifting the lid to see if I was getting any smoke. Nothing was coming out of the back vents.

I've not had any issues, seem to be getting plenty of smoke. In fact, the first two cooks maybe too much. I did chicken wings one night chicken thighs the next. Started both at 225 for 15 minutes, then up to 375 till done. I thought the smoke flavor was overpowering. Of course, poultry doesn't need a lot of smoke, but I thought maybe it was the pellets (recteq comp). Switched them out for Pitboss Fall blend (pecan/apple). Since then I've done some ribs, salmon, more wings and some thighs last night. All turned out great. Plenty of smoke on the ribs. I reckon I might prefer a lighter smoke, but the grill seems to be performing well for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back